No Sound in Lubuntu 16.10 [SOLVED]

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
luiz4vn
Initiate

No Sound in Lubuntu 16.10 [SOLVED]

Post by luiz4vn »

Hey guys, the game is running just fine, but the sound isn't coming out, I already did a long research on how to solve this problem, but seems like I'm pretty noob at Linux, I've tried to run padsp on terminal, but nothing seems to work out. Sorry for being dumb, can you help me solve this problem, step-by-step? :oops:
Last edited by luiz4vn on March 7th, 2017, 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: No Sound in Lubuntu 16.10

Post by SpottedShroom »

You say you tried to run padsp. Can you say more about how that didn't work out?
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

at least you can use linux, i can barely use windows ;)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
luiz4vn
Initiate

Post by luiz4vn »

SpottedShroom wrote: March 5th, 2017, 1:21 am You say you tried to run padsp. Can you say more about how that didn't work out?
I've opened the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and tried to run the game with the following code:

Code: Select all

$ padsp ./eschalon_book_1
and then I received this error: /usr/bin/padsp: 84: exec: ./eschalon_book_1: not found

I tried to put the eschalon_book_1 file into /usr/bin/padsp but I couldn't... I'm confused. :(
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Sounds like you're not in the right directory when you run padsp. Try this:

1. Figure out where your eschalon_book_1 executable is. The path will probably start with "/home/<your user>"
2. Run a terminal program
3. At the prompt, type "cd /<path from step 1> and then enter. If all goes well, you should get no response. If you get an error instead, you may have mistyped the path or you may have the wrong one.
4. Type "padsp ./eschalon_book_1" and then enter
5. If the game runs, see if you have sound. If it doesn't, you may have the wrong path.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

blatherbeard wrote: March 5th, 2017, 9:01 am at least you can use linux, i can barely use windows ;)
Nobody can use Windows more than barely ;)
luiz4vn
Initiate

Post by luiz4vn »

luiz4vn@luiz4vn-Aspire-V5-571:~/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/Eschalon Book I/game$ padsp ./"Eschalon Book I"
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pulseaudio/libpulsedsp.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
What does it mean?

I also tried the following code after trying this tutorial...http://www.ideatrash.net/2014/06/fix-pa ... 64-bit.htm

luiz4vn@luiz4vn-Aspire-V5-571:~/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/Eschalon Book I/game$ padsp_32 ./"Eschalon Book I"
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pulseaudio/libpulsedsp.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored. 
I believe the error persisted because I couldn't follow these steps:
  • Use your favorite text editor (as root!) to edit padsp_32. You will change the two places that say

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pulseaudio/libpulsedsp.so

to

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pulseaudio/libpulsedsp.so
I cant find padsp_32 file... So you think this is going to solve?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Try this:

From the terminal, run "sudo apt install pulseaudio-utils:i386". You'll need to enter your password

Now you should have /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pulseaudio/libpulsedsp.so and your padsp should refer to that rather than /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pulseaudio/libpulsedsp.so

If you ever need padsp to work with a 64-bit program, run "sudo apt install pulseaudio-utils" to get the original version back.
luiz4vn
Initiate

Post by luiz4vn »

From the terminal, run "sudo apt install pulseaudio-utils:i386". You'll need to enter your password
It worked! Gratitude, love you <3