The State of the Basilisk, Summer 2017

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Just a quick update to let everyone know what were doing (this is so much easier than answering individual emails and messages).

We are currently working on our Next RPG. Maybe you haven't heard, but we're making a sci-fi RPG and it's coming along splendidly.

As of this week, we are "engine complete"! That means things like combat, stats and skills, item management, environment interaction- all that is done. The first 20 minutes are playable! There is still much to do in terms of game content, but overall we kicked a lot of ass over the summer coding marathon. It's exciting to finally see this new RPG up and running!

This sci-fi RPG is really unique in several aspects, in that nothing quite like it has been done before as far as I know (certainly I'll be told otherwise when it's released). But more than that- this idea really predates Eschalon. The original ruleset that birthed Eschalon was a pen-and-paper sci-fi game that I worked on in the late 90s, so some form of this sci-fi RPG has been brewing for many years and it's finally starting to look like something now!

And nope- I'm not ready to announce anything, not ready to show anything, and not even ready to tell you the name. When the time is right I'll announce the game with a full spectrum of screenshots, gameplay video, game description and features, release date, etc.

Update on Zodiac and the Marauders of Sol
I get a lot of messages on this game, and I want to make it clear about what it is, and where we are at with it.

So Zodiac began as a learning project about 2 years ago. After taking a break from the release of Book III, I started learning Unity- following tutorials and such- you know the drill. Out of that experimenting and learning phase, I developed a space shooter / adventure hybrid type of game, never intending to release it. I just kept adding to it as I continued to better understand project structure in Unity. Meanwhile, I was also laying out the framework out for the new RPG engine.

But after a couple of my regular testers tried Zodiac and gave me very positive feedback, I decided to put all my efforts into it for 6 months to finish it, as a way of providing much needed financial support during the period of time between RPGs. I felt like the extra time spent building Zodiac would aid me in making a stronger RPG engine, as well (and it did!).

So I produced a logo, spoke to some people about helping with graphics and music, and switched over full time into Zodiac development. The problem was that I dove head-first into development without a project plan. Anyone who knows project management could see this was not going to end well.

I've mentioned in a few other posts what happened: after 6 months the project was feeling like Frankenstein's monster. Without a proper scope, development went off the rails and I was left with a bunch of incomplete/broken modules, and a game that needs at least a year of full-time development to salvage.

So is Zodiac dead? Well, no... but it's showing no signs of life at the moment. The project has been packed up and moved off my development workstation while I focus on the next RPG. I'll likely eliminate references to it on the main website to avoid ongoing queries about it. I'll review the project again after the new RPG is released.

SO WHAT IS NEXT? Well, I will finish out 2017 transforming years of design notes into content for the new RPG. With the engine finished, it's all about content now. Don't expect too much out of me anytime soon- I probably won't have much to say about it for a few months, but rest assured that I will be here in the lair working hard on the new RPG.

I'll be happy to answer any questions here that I missed above.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: The State of the Basilisk, Summer 2017

Post by Painted Lady »

BW - this is really, really exciting news. Obviously you have a way to go before you have a finished game, but I am absolutely thrilled that your engine is finalized. Content next - sounds like great fun.

One question - is this to be a stand-alone game or a series of books like Eschalon?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Painted Lady wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 8:59 amOne question - is this to be a stand-alone game or a series of books like Eschalon?
There is definitely a storyline that could continue past where the game ends, but I am not promising anything until I see how well it does financially.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Great to hear the RPG is coming along. I can't wait to play it! Maybe you'll need testers soon?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

SpottedShroom wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 3:49 pm Great to hear the RPG is coming along. I can't wait to play it! Maybe you'll need testers soon?
I'll not need outside testers for a little while, but I might benefit from some very early (alpha) play testing, just to get some reaction from you core fans. This would entail UI testing and feedback on combat mechanics, but probably no actual storyline or finished game areas.

This probably wouldn't even happen for quite some time, so please- nobody needs to email me on a weekly basis for a spot. I'll let everyone here know when.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Fabulous update, BW. I understand all too well about Zodiac. Perhaps it will give us some fun between the next RPG and the one after that. ;-) Meanwhile, very happy to hear that the new RPG has a solid foundation and you're ready to build up all the pretty stuff. Looking forward to a Holiday or New Year update that maybe includes pictures and stuff. :) Until then, go build another amazing world.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Whee! This is great news! Can't wait to see some screenshots and a video!

I've been looking forward to a good sci-fi RPG for a long time. Am currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles X (which I found at a discounted price of $20 on ebay) on my Wii U. I'm not too far into it yet, but am enjoying the planet exploration aspect of it. I'd love to see another sci-fi RPG with some locations that are actually in space (stations, spaceships, whatever)!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 4:06 pmThis probably wouldn't even happen for quite some time, so please- nobody needs to email me on a weekly basis for a spot. I'll let everyone here know when.
That infrequently? You don't know fans. One indie company announced a game release date and then players complained when it wasn't available at 12:01 AM in the first time zone past the International Date Line. :)
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 6:08 am So is Zodiac dead? Well, no... but it's showing no signs of life at the moment. The project has been packed up and moved off my development workstation while I focus on the next RPG. I'll likely eliminate references to it on the main website to avoid ongoing queries about it. I'll review the project again after the new RPG is released.
Oh man, why you gonna go crush my dreams like that? :(
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Leezar wrote: August 29th, 2017, 8:26 am
BasiliskWrangler wrote: August 23rd, 2017, 6:08 am So is Zodiac dead? Well, no... but it's showing no signs of life at the moment. The project has been packed up and moved off my development workstation while I focus on the next RPG. I'll likely eliminate references to it on the main website to avoid ongoing queries about it. I'll review the project again after the new RPG is released.
Oh man, why you gonna go crush my dreams like that? :(
Sorry, you're not the only person to express their disappointment. In game development, sometimes developers need to prioritize games based on a number of factors; sometimes games get cancelled altogether. I don't see Zodiac ever being cancelled, since there is so much good work already done on it. It's just that Zodiac really needs a full restructure of the project to get back on track, and I can't waste the time on it now.

Does anyone remember when I said Zodiac was loosely based on the backstory to our upcoming RPG? By delaying Zodiac, it would give me a chance to make it more than "loosely based"; I can re-direct the game to be an action/adventure/shooter spin-off of the finished RPG, giving players more of the backstory, told from a different perspective.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: August 30th, 2017, 2:36 pmDoes anyone remember when I said Zodiac was loosely based on the backstory to our upcoming RPG? By delaying Zodiac, it would give me a chance to make it more than "loosely based"; I can re-direct the game to be an action/adventure/shooter spin-off of the finished RPG, giving players more of the backstory, told from a different perspective.
:)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

Thanks for the update, BW. I'm looking forward to the sci-fi RPG, and Zodiac, too, when it's finally ready.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

Thank you for the informaton. What does TRP stand for?
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

We just finalized the name for our sci-fi RPG! :D The initials are TRP, which will be revealed soon-ish. Logos are in the works now. I need to secure the domain name this next week.

TRP is a placeholder where ZATMOS was.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

That Rygellian Planet!

No.

The Risian Paradise!

No.

Two Rotating Particles!

No.

Well, I'm stumped! :lol: