Is it Possible to Cure Paul's Disease?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
adventurer94062
Pledge

Is it Possible to Cure Paul's Disease?

Post by adventurer94062 »

I put the details of my question within the spoiler tag below, to avoid spoiling the story for anyone reading this.

My Question:
Is it possible to cure Paul's Fleshrot disease?
[+] SPOILER
Once it's revealed that Father Michael's healing potion is actually a powerful poison intended to kill Paul, he throws away the bottle and asks the player to deliver a letter describing Father Michael's secret alliance with the goblins.

The game directs me to leave Paul's house and move to the next location in the quest. (Bordertown)

However, I felt that it was unfair to abandon Paul as his body succumbed to the Fleshrot disease. He had been helpful to me and was trying to stop Father Michael's traitorous plan.

Also, I thought it was ironic for Paul to suffer and die from Fleshrot disease, because the game does have a "Cure Disease" spell and potion.

So I wondered if the game would allow me to cure Paul's Fleshrot disease.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Is it Possible to Cure Paul's Disease?

Post by SpottedShroom »

I was pretty sure the answer was no, but I checked the dialog files to be sure. No, you can't cure Paul.
adventurer94062
Pledge

Thanks for the initial answer and verification of it by checking the game's files.

I'm sorry to learn that the game doesn't allow the player to heal Paul's Fleshrot disease, but I suppose some tragedies can't be prevented.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Ive always laughed at deaths in rpg games. sure it makes it more palpable but im always like, hey no worries ive got a cure.......(and i imagine the game going this way) Dying person--no no, save it for yourself when you need it. Me--no, really and if you die i can ressurect......dying person--no rellly (COUGH HACK WHEEZE) i cant be healed......Me--seriously i do it all the time. let me hel......dying person--(running away) NO I NEED TO DIE!!! DONT COME FIND ME AND REZ ME,IM DEAD!!! I HAVE TO BE DEAD! ..

lol

and yes i imagine this in ALL my rpgs where i cant heal someone even though i can RESSURECT ppl lol

i think it stems from a dnd game where a baby was supposed to die for effect but i had a wand of rez and used it on the baby so the ppl in the town would accept me as an orc healer. but thats another story for another day......
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
adventurer94062
Pledge

Thanks for the story, blatherbeard.

I'm glad to know that other players of Eschalon understand how I feel about being unable to heal a non-playable character's illnesses, despite having the item and spell to do so.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

The problem is that Paul crossed Abbey Road barefoot. There is no cure for that.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.