Who wants a sneak peak at TRC?

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Who wants a sneak peak at TRC?

Post by BasiliskWrangler » July 10th, 2018, 11:23 am

Here's the situation:

We're making a sci-fi RPG that is different in many ways to anything that has been done before. Because of this, it is absolutely essential that we make sure the gameplay experience is accessible to as many players as possible. While a lot of "inside" people (colleagues in the video game business, friends, and family) have given us positive feedback, we have yet to get feedback from anyone who will be playing the game- our potential customers.

We would like to offer someone an exclusive experience: play 30 minutes of our game and let us know what you think. Give us your good and bad comments. Suggestions for improvements. Find a bug or two. Heap praise on us for our brilliant design, or sling sh!t on us for our confusing mess of a game...we want all of it. We need it all.

The lucky person will learn what the game is titled and experience about 30 minutes of pre-alpha gameplay (representing the demo section of the game).

The lucky person will need to be: exceptionally trustworthy, preferably a long-time fan/customer of Basilisk Games, very experienced in RPGs of all kinds, and able to keep it secret and private until we are ready to make an official announcement. Oh, and right now it is only a Windows game- sorry Mac and Linux people. We will port the game to other platforms once we hit the beta stage.

If you think you are ready for such an important and huge responsibility, respond to this thread. Tell me why you want to be considered. What were the last 5 games you've played? Did you beta test for me in the past?

We'll pick someone (probably via private message) in early August.

[Edit #1] Oh, I should also say that TRC is NOT an isometric, sprite based engine. It is not the next-gen Eschalon engine. This game will require (at least) a mid-level gaming PC and a decent graphics card. The engine is full 3D with modern GPU effects via DX11/OpenGL. So dusting off a 10-year-old PC with 2 gigs of Ram probably won't work. As a gamer, being somewhat comfortable in a first-person view would be helpful.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Who wants a sneak peak at TRC?

Post by SpottedShroom » July 10th, 2018, 12:58 pm

I'll happily boot up Windows as necessary to help test. I'm certainly not representative of the modern mainstream gamer, though. The last few games I've played were Pokemon Go, Balrum, and Life is Strange. The fact that I can't easily remember 5 off the top of my head probably isn't a good sign. I do have a ton of RPG experience, mainly of the old-school variety: Ultima 6&7, D&D Gold Box, Eye of the Beholder, Fallout 1&2, Avadon, etc. The last "modern" RPGs I played were Dragon Age, Mass Effect 3, and Fallout: New Vegas. I tested for you once before on Eschalon Book III. I have a gaming PC that should be up to the task.
Last edited by SpottedShroom on July 10th, 2018, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany » July 10th, 2018, 6:21 pm

I, too, would happily boot up Windows to help! I'm primarily a Mac person nowadays, but I still have my old development PC running Windows 7. If your game can run on Windows 7, I'll be glad to test it out for you and give you some feedback. As a former game developer, I might spot some things others would miss. And I've been itching for a good sci-fi RPG... we need more of those!

My 5 most recent RPGs I've played: "Battle Chasers: Nightwar", "Breath of the Wild", "Xenoblade Chronicles 2", "Xenoblade Chronicles X", and "Avadon 3 - The Warborn". Of course, I've also played all of the Eschalon games, all of the Avadon series, and all of the recent Avernum remakes. I also still love playing older RPGs like Interplay's Lord of the Rings, Golden Sun, Baldur's Gate, etc.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » July 10th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Oh, I should also say that TRC is NOT an isometric, sprite based engine. It is not the next-gen Eschalon engine. This game will require (at least) a mid-level gaming PC and a decent graphics card. The engine is full 3D with modern GPU effects via DX11/OpenGL. So dusting off a 10-year-old PC with 2 gigs of Ram probably won't work. As a gamer, being somewhat comfortable in a first-person view would be helpful.

blatherbeard
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by blatherbeard » July 10th, 2018, 7:53 pm

When would you need this by? the pc im using now prob wouldnt be great but im on the road til end of july. Be back at my gaming pc around july 28th(providing no wife aggro for being gone so long and can squeeze 30 mins in ha ha)

so not available til end of july/beginning of august which would be a nice b day present to me! LOL
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.

minhvipkk
Initiate

Post by minhvipkk » July 11th, 2018, 2:09 pm

How many person do you guys want to test this game? I would love to test it for you. My computer is not a very good one though. And I've worked with other developers in the past (some are game translation, which is partly testing as well).
I've been a fan of all 3 Eschalon Books and recently I've played all games that's nearly the same as your games, like Exiled Kingdoms, Underrail, Shadowrun, The Banner Saga series and Ash of Gods (I dropped this game because of bugs and I'm waiting for updates). Other RPG games I've played are the Tales series, Fallout 3, Darkest Dungeon and Evenicle (this game is kind of a erotic game, but oh well, I have lots of tastes :wink: )

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe » July 11th, 2018, 2:29 pm

I would certainly be willing to give it a test. If you haven't already selected the tester. I did just upgrade to a newer iMac. Not exactly a screaming gaming machine, but certainly should be capable.

EDIT: Oops. Saw the "PC" part. Hm. Maybe I can get my brother to drive back to town with his gaming laptop.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom » July 11th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
July 11th, 2018, 2:29 pm
I would certainly be willing to give it a test. If you haven't already selected the tester. I did just upgrade to a newer iMac. Not exactly a screaming gaming machine, but certainly should be capable.

EDIT: Oops. Saw the "PC" part. Hm. Maybe I can get my brother to drive back to town with his gaming laptop.
Hey, you can always run Windows with Boot Camp.

CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie » July 26th, 2018, 4:26 pm

There's not enough responses to this thread.... so I'll go ahead and throw my hat in.

Wait... I want to keep my hat. I got it in Puerto Rico just a couple of weeks ago, so it's not all torn up yet.

Qualifications? I like long walks on the beach, candlelit dinners - wait, wrong list.

Avid gamer, wise cracker, overly opinionated, technically savvy, broad interests, absolutely trustworthy, fan-fic writing, RPG element preferring, all around crazy guy. I'm pretty sure several of those traits having nothing to do with what you're looking for.

Let's see... I've been a fan since the first game, a forum member since 2007, wrote material (and beta tested) for the second, totally disappeared for the third (thank you family life), and have written a good amount of fan fiction (I'm actually still working on that Zodiac Piece... ha ha!). Last 5 games? Well my Steam list shows about 30 games over the last month, and I've got several going on the Xbox. I've been looking for some cross-platform or controller friendly games that I can play with co-op with my wife when I'm on the road. Last 5 I've spent time on??

No Man's Sky (just restarted after the latest content update... too confusing to deal with all the changes on my current save)
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (Xbox... Yuck - terrible controls for an FPS on console, but it was on sale)
Diablo 3 (I play solo on PC and with my wife and son on the Xbox)
Pillars of Eternity (The first, not the second)
Fallout 4 VR (Intermittent; my office is a mess right now so it's hard to do room scale VR without tripping over a server here, a network switch there, etc... gotta hurry up and get that network closet built. The wife keeps complaining about all the wires and such in the living room, and we just added more crap with the new security system.

Destiny 2 deserves mention, but I've only been playing it lately when a friend of mine has time to do some co-op.

Running an Alienware 15R3 with an i7 7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1060 w/6GB, 2x 256GB NVMe SSDs (I run my "Work PC" in an encrypted VM on the second SSD so I can game while on the road), a 1TB spindle, Windows 10 Home... I'm pretty sure I've got the hardware/software covered, although I have been eyeballing the new six core models... :mrgreen: :twisted:

blade
Initiate

Post by blade » July 26th, 2018, 6:35 pm

I'm in like Flynn. Hopefully. 8)
Mark Deaton

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » July 27th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I've got someone lined up for the August test. Sorry, it's nobody who responded here, but it is someone who has helped test before and has been lurking around here for many years. They contacted me via PM.

I will likely take comments and suggestions from this person, update what I feel needs to be updated, and probably have a new set of eyes take a look at the game in September. So please, post here if you want to be considered for the September slot! If this continues to work out, I may bring someone new on board each month for a fresh perspective until I reach formal beta.

CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie » July 29th, 2018, 2:46 am

Just glad to hear you've got someone to help out. If you need any extra assistance, feel free to reach out anytime.

Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom » July 30th, 2018, 10:10 am

Years ago I would have been the first to respond to a thread such as this. How times change.
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » July 30th, 2018, 11:52 am

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 10:10 am
Years ago I would have been the first to respond to a thread such as this. How times change.
No worries, PM. The new game is not isometric and it's not fantasy, so I expect I'll alienate quite a few long-time fans with it. Still, it's what I've wanted to do for years so either I'll sell enough to keep going or Basilisk Games will be just another dead indie studio.

ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei » August 1st, 2018, 2:34 am

Came back to see if there was news about your next game, and there is :)

If need be I can give a hand and test your new game.
I have been gaming for about 20 years, including all 3 Eschalon Book games even if I only finished the second one.
I think my first rpg was Ishar3, which I played without knowing any english (surprisingly I did not finish the game :D), and that has been my favorite genre ever since, from Diablo to Mass Effect to Might and Magic X.

I did not beta test for you in the past but I did some beta testing on other games like Heroes of might and Magic 6 and 7, and I did write reports on bugs and good stuff.

My computer is a Gaming Notebook with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.
https://www.materiel.net/pc-portable/as ... 44583.html (I added 16GB of RAM since)

The last 5 games I played were Transistor, Dark Messiah of might and Magic, Dishonored 2, Tyranny and Epistory.

While I'm fluent in English (I lived in the US for a time) I'm French and live in France.
I don't work on Wednesdays, which means I have a full day at home alone during the week where I can find a 30 minutes interval for testing :)

Edit : correct that, I just found an email saying I was selected in 1.05 Eschalon Book 2 test (not sure if I took part)