Another New Year!

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Another New Year!

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Hope everyone is well and happy as 2023 comes to an end! It's amazing to think of all of the changes in my life and the world in the 16 years I've been dropping in to this Pub. A quiet place, now, but I still come in regularly to see if anyone is talking.

Just letting you know, BW, that we're still out here, brought together by the magic of your games. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Another New Year!

Post by Quaan »

Happy New Year everyone!
I was hoping for an annoucement from BW in 2023,
but well, maybe we’ll get some news about the game progress or other bits of Information this year.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Hello everyone! It makes me so happy to see people still stopping by from time to time. I don't have a lot to tell you, just that we keep working on our projects, while also picking up other work (to pay the bills!) when it comes my way.

2023 was a rough year- Unity screwed a lot of indie developers over, so I tried working with Godot again. But Godot is different enough that I can't just easily transfer everything over, so in March 2023 I was back on Unity. But now...I am waiting on the next LTS released of Godot when they better integrate C#, so the transfer of code will be easier.

I feel like Godot is the best path forward is Basilisk Games, as I just can't trust that Unity will always support indie developers (even though indie developers were literally the lifeblood of Unity in the early days). Once we are 100% committed to Godot, we should make some real progress on our project.

It's always a fun time trying to figure out what is the best engine is to commit years of work to. :P Love you all, thanks for sticking with us! <3
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

Oh well, it‘s waiting for Godot then.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Happy New Year!

This year has been super tummultuous for me.

On one hand best gaming year in a while but on the other hand .......i lost the love of my life Feb 23 2023 at 838 pm. She was 57. Also lost a dear friend on july 5th. Then about 2 months ago my house flooded and im just now starting to get the contractor rolling to fix everything.

Thankfully the wife had the forethought to have a REAL great insurance policy so i dont have to worry about much aside from grieving and now of course getting the house back in order.

Im always stopping by here to read whatever folks post and i love our little family.

Hugs and Love
John

aka Blatherbeard.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

Desr John, i am very sorry to read from your losses and troubles you had last year and wish you strength and a much better 2024!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

So sorry for your loss, John.

2023 was hard for a lot of folks I know who lost their great loves. I hope 2024 brings you lots of positive change. And more great games.

--Bob
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

Eschalon: Book III came out in 2014.

The year is now 2024 and Basilisk Games have released no new game for 10 years.

We've been told that the main developer of Basilisk Games is happy to work with other projects for income, otherwise they would have had to close their studio a few years ago.

Can anyone here name one of these projects?
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Man, that sucks, it is always sad when people die young. I lost a much beloved uncle to mad cow disease, of all things, when he was only 50.

Anyway, of course I will stick. Games that tickle that hmmm... I guess immersion nerve?.. are kind of like four leaf clovers. Well, I guess since there are millions of games out there, logically, there are thousands of games that I would love if I just got to play them, but ehhh...

Especially what with all the always online and microtransactions and dumbing down the game mechanics etc that makes modern games a slough.

What I mean to say is, we are all eagerly anticipating your next masterpiece!
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote: January 8th, 2024, 2:58 pm Eschalon: Book III came out in 2014.

The year is now 2024 and Basilisk Games have released no new game for 10 years.

We've been told that the main developer of Basilisk Games is happy to work with other projects for income, otherwise they would have had to close their studio a few years ago.

Can anyone here name one of these projects?
A big project that I have supported for a few years wasn't even a game; I did some work for a manufacturing facility on a custom ordering system.

I worked with a few studios on their games, but it was mostly just consulting and a little bit of programming. As a contracted consultant, I can't say which games they were, and they are not obligated to credit me or Basilisk Games. None of the titles are AAA or anything- just indie studios that needed some guidance.

Unfortunately yes, as Eschalon sales have slowed to a trickle, I have had to take on other work to keep bills paid. This has slowed down progress on my own projects. Then I have dealt with switching between Unity and Godot, trying out new game ideas that didn't go as well as I wanted, and changing the overall game style of my big sci-fi RPG that has been in my head for more than a decade.

As long as this website is still active, then Basilisk Games is active. One day I'll have an announcement....one day.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Happy 2024 folks!

Very nice to see this place is still here, however quiet. Good memories, good community.

John, my sorrow for your loss.

Very best,
Farwalker
Xyle
Initiate

Post by Xyle »

Good to see your still chuggin along!
Been following along ever since Blitzmax and what you've done has definitely inspired me and helped on my 15 year journey of game dev!

I constantly check your site for any updates!
Looking forward to what your going to come up with!

Thanks!