Oblivion

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I actually kept the game on my hard drive. It is my hope that the community will eventually create the perfect combination of mods to make the game more enjoyable. Actually, the mods are probably out there already, I just haven't taken the time to find them yet.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Ok
lets end this... (my opinion)

Oblivion IS NOT a RPG!
Monsters and loot scale with character level.
Strategic and role playing spirit are totally absent.
It's a big booming colorfull box without soul.

I'm very disappointed.
I bought the collector edition because I was sure to find the same and better experience I found in Morrowind.... but what loaded on my pc was an XBOX/PS2 hack 'n slash game without atmosphere, without RPG strong bone.

If you like the system: go to the ruin, take the item, kill everything you meet. The game is good. Forget stats, character development, and strategy. The level scaling system destroys everything.
furor vincit omnia
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I believe there are some mods out for Oblivion that do away with scaling, and make the game a lot harder.
I have no idea what they are called though, but I do know they are out there.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Rollor
Marshall

Post by Rollor »

gragnak wrote: It's a big booming colorfull box without soul.
For some of us it isn't even that :(
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

Yeah it toataly su*kes
May the sky never fall on your head
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

It sure was a pretty game though. The first time I sat on a grassy hill and watched the sun set, I was very impressed. The physics were fun, too...climb to the top of a tall, steep mountain and drop everything from your inventory at once: your crap goes tumbling down the mountain for miles! It looks like the debris field of a crashed airplane! :D

Granted, none of these things actually make the role-playing aspects of the game any better, but it took a little of the $49.95 sting away.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Physics are fun in games. I remember in one of the Thief games, the 3rd one I think, I just sat and threw unconscious guards down castle stairs for a while. Watching them bump and slide down was highly entertaining.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

Yeah the physics are funny and the gfx are really amyzing but thats not wath a rpg is
May the sky never fall on your head
dteowner

Post by dteowner »

Sanctus wrote:Yeah the physics are funny and the gfx are really amyzing but thats not wath a rpg is
Ah, but many would say that Oblivion represents the closest we've come to true role playing. The open-ended nature allows you to create a personality and then move thru the world in a manner true to that personality. Truly playing a role, as it were, rather than following some pre-determined story tree (even if there are numerous branches).

As I've said elsewhere, I was so disappointed with the lack of focus in Morrowind that I had no intentions of buying Oblivion. Still, you have to be careful about making sweeping statements about just what an RPG is.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Assigning a persona to your character in, say, Morrowind or Oblivion is all well and good, but if the game doesn't support that persona, there's not much of a role to play. I found that in Morrowind it hardly mattered what you perceived your character to be, interacting with NPCs was so painfully dry and utterly un-engrossing, there was no role-playing at all.
I don't know if Oblivion is any better in terms of supporting different personas, though I somehow doubt it very much.

To really be able to play a role in a single-player RPG, the game has to support different moral and ethical choices, and have consequences and meaning to those choices.
Out of the RPGs I've played in recent times, the only ones to really go in that direction are the Fallouts and Planescape:Torment.
Knights Of The Old Republic 1 and 2 aren't too bad, but BioWare have a tendency of Butt-Kissing Good, Apathetic Neutral or Arsehole Evil, not really offering much in the way of different aspects of those alignments.