Battle - mage type character.

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Excalibur_2102
Pledge

Battle - mage type character.

Post by Excalibur_2102 »

Okay ive been thinking about this for too long. In RPG's I usually go for the melee type character, but I thought I'd try and mix things up a bit. Is it possible to create a mage that can also hold his own in close combat, by putting skills into both Elemental magick and swords/heavy armour?

Could use any advice people can give, thanks.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Yes! I would suggest picking magic user as your class. Select either heavy armor and swords or light armor and swords. Or you can select the magic user class and heavy or light armor and pick up the sword skill from a trainer or if you are lucky enough find a book on the subject. There are books that you can read to acquire or increase these skills including magic. Just remeber there is a weight penalty for casting spells if the weight you have in your hands exceeds a certain amount due to shields, gauntlets and weapons. You may want to include the divination skill to have access to divine heal or learn it from a priest. Creating and playing a battle mage is a easier than a pure mage.
History is written by the winners!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It looks possible with probably the best way is to start with the basic mage package since it's way easier to kill starting monsters with spells. Then as you gain training for skills and pick up decent loot you can start adding fighting skills. Magic then becomes useful for buffing you before a fight and reducing damage.

This way you can tailor your fighting to what you have gotten. True the best weapon is a sword, but you might do well with another class before then.
Excalibur_2102
Pledge

Post by Excalibur_2102 »

Thanks guys..

Though any tips on my attributes? should I concentrate in intelligence?
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Excalibur_2102 wrote:Thanks guys..

Though any tips on my attributes? should I concentrate in intelligence?
Concentrate on Perception and Endurance early, with an edge towards Perception ~ these are the skills that influence HP and MP per level the most. After that it's a matter of preference, though Dexterity will likely be a critical attribute no matter which way you slice it if you plan on doing much hand-to-hand (which it sounds like you are).
thomas
Initiate

Re: Battle - mage type character.

Post by thomas »

Excalibur_2102 wrote:Okay ive been thinking about this for too long. In RPG's I usually go for the melee type character, but I thought I'd try and mix things up a bit. Is it possible to create a mage that can also hold his own in close combat, by putting skills into both Elemental magick and swords/heavy armour?

Could use any advice people can give, thanks.
Not only possible, it's only way how to finish game with something magic-related and not sleeping more than walk (reallife - 8 sleep, 16 works; eschalon - 22 sleep, 2 work :)