Great party-based old-school crpgs?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Mr. Fed
Initiate

Great party-based old-school crpgs?

Post by Mr. Fed »

So while I'm waiting for this very promising looking game to come out ...

I've got a jones for an old-school party-based crpg. I've played the well-known ones -- the Wizardrys, Exiles, Avernums, Tom Proudfoot's games, etc.

A couple of years ago I stumbled upon Helherron; it was exactly what I was looking for -- immersive, tactical combat, stat-heavy, good character development, lots of loot variety, lots of exploration, etc.

But now I've played it to death (and the newest iteration crashes in windows anyway).

So can anyone think of any good old-school shareware or freeware or legitimately available old-school party-based rpgs?
Last edited by Mr. Fed on September 11th, 2006, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Popehat -- a blog of humor, politics, and gaming. Now 35% less ugly!
20mithrandir
Initiate

Post by 20mithrandir »

Sorry, didn't read your post correctly. You're searching for shareware/freeware an I listet commercial projects. But maybe you could get those older games for a few bucks...

Do you know the Might and Magics? They were great games up to MM4 and 5 (together World of Xeen).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/might-and ... ds-of-xeen
+
http://www.mobygames.com/game/might-and ... de-of-xeen
=
http://www.mobygames.com/game/might-and ... ld-of-xeen

If you don't know "Realms of Arkania" - those were great games (in original known as "Das Schwarze Auge") based on a very interesting pen&paper system:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/realm ... ia-trilogy

The Bard's Tale Remake from Shifting Suns also isn't that bad (Devil Whiskey):

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/devil-whiskey

And just shortly released is "Gods: Lands of Infinity", a very interesting game that feels just old school (but the character development is very limited):

http://www.gods-game.com/
'Censorship is the younger of two shameful sisters, the older one bears the name inquisition.'
-- Johann Nepomuk Nestroy
Visit: http://www.withingames.net
Svend Karlson
Initiate

Post by Svend Karlson »

It's highly unlikely that you have not played the Gold Box games such as Pool of Radiance & Pools of Darkness, but have you played the SSI Buck Rogers games for a different twist? There are two & they are both available from Home of the Underdogs.

I would personally recommend also picking up Disciples of Steel. It's a derivative of the Gold Box games but marks the first of very few attempts to merge both RPG & turn based tactical wargame. It also has a combat damage model better than anything I had ever seen before it. You can target different body parts & so can your enemies. Expect to come away from tough fights with bruised ribs, concussion, even a broken leg! You can get this game from HOTU or Abandonia but you will need some resourcefulness to get past the copy protection I'm afraid.

Have you played Wizards & Warriors? Thats a pretty interesting continuation of the Wizardry series. Probably available for a dollar or two somewhere.

Finally, I'd recommend considering Jeff Vogels Spiderweb games such as Avernum (available from spiderweb.com), Prelude to Darkness (although it is horrendously buggy - from zero-sum.com) & currently in development Mount & Blade for something very different.
EvilManagedCare
Pledge

Post by EvilManagedCare »

Realms of Arkania is probably my favorite series next to the Magic Candle. Although I could have done without the random loss of boots or other vital yet mundane items. For maximum enjoyment start from the first and use the same party throughout.

Just remember, you'll probably need DOSBox to play it if you have a more modern system.
Killer Kitty
Initiate

Post by Killer Kitty »

The Realms of Arkania games are great, especially The Star Trail. Unforunately though, the fourth game isn't looking too great.

Realms of Arkania 4 is being simplified, and even worse, modeled after the Baldur's Gate series.
Sherman Gill
Initiate

Post by Sherman Gill »

Killer Kitty wrote:Realms of Arkania 4 is being simplified, and even worse, modeled after the Baldur's Gate series.
Hey now, if you're gonna talk smack about the forgotten realms games, let the target be NeverWinter Nights or Dark Alliance.
Seriously, Baldur's Gate and IceWind Dale rock.
Killer Kitty
Initiate

Post by Killer Kitty »

Both Baldur's and Icewind Dale use the Infinity Engine, which is even worse than the Aurora Engine used by Neverwinter Nights. Though all three games suck.

I could not disagree more about Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Icewind Dale 1/2 being great games. The BG games suffer from a terrible battle system (due to the Infinity Engine) and unlike other PC RPGs with not-so-great battle systems (Arcanum, Ultima VII, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, etc) they do not have great roleplaying and world exploration due to Bioware's trademark "illusion of freedom", linearity, and meaningless game choices.
Sherman Gill
Initiate

Post by Sherman Gill »

Baldur's Gate had some freedom, and I can't think of a better real-time battle system for an RPG then the one the Inifinity Engine had.
Also, while they may have been very linear, IWD and B'sG were written pretty well, especially in comparison to those hideous things they called modules for NWN.

And I'll admit, my argument is shallow.
dteowner

Post by dteowner »

Only one vote for M&M? Criminal! MM6 and MM7 are classics thru and thru. I prefer 7 because of the more complex development, but 6 had a huge world to play in. Can't go wrong with either one.
Svend Karlson
Initiate

Post by Svend Karlson »

Please guys, I've just come from the Oblivion forms, I've already had my recommended lifetime exposure to posts saying one or another game sucks. No need to criticise others suggestions.

I thought of one more game for the OP - Spelljammer. Its based in a loose extension of the Forgotten Realms world & sees you as the captain of a sparefaring ship trading, fighting, pirating & questing your way around a galaxy. You have a party of 6, if I recall. When you engage in tactical combat both your party & your crew members appear & can be controlled, meaning that you are controlling a small army.

Give it a go but avoid the Mind Flayers!
Mr. Fed
Initiate

Post by Mr. Fed »

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all.
Popehat -- a blog of humor, politics, and gaming. Now 35% less ugly!
Spleen
Pledge

Post by Spleen »

One of my all time favorites: Demon's Winter

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=300
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Demon's Winter.... That looks really familiar but I can't quite remember it exactly. I know I had that game, but I don't right now recall much about it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Larec
Initiate

Post by Larec »

Two things:

With that being said, I know of another small indie game being worked on that you might want to check out:

http://www.crosscutgames.com/ddfaq.html

I was one of those cranky old folk gamers who hated it too. I looked down on BG and the infinity engine games the same way a fan of Mozart would look down on a Britney Spear's devotee. It was truly that bad....ahem...

Anyhoo, I learned to accept them for what they are. Sure, the combat was wonky, the strategy in both games (and Throne of bhall) was nothing more then "Cast haste, then cast fireball, then spam whirlwinds" but the storyline and the character creation was every bit as good as the goldbox games I grew up on.

1985-1992 was the "Golden age" of PC RPGs. 1997-2001 was the "Silver age" of CRPGs. That's just one nerds observation, so pay my pathetic rantings no attention if I have offended you.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Svend Karlson wrote:It's highly unlikely that you have not played the Gold Box games such as Pool of Radiance & Pools of Darkness, but have you played the SSI Buck Rogers games for a different twist? There are two & they are both available from Home of the Underdogs.

I would personally recommend also picking up Disciples of Steel. It's a derivative of the Gold Box games but marks the first of very few attempts to merge both RPG & turn based tactical wargame. It also has a combat damage model better than anything I had ever seen before it. You can target different body parts & so can your enemies. Expect to come away from tough fights with bruised ribs, concussion, even a broken leg! You can get this game from HOTU or Abandonia but you will need some resourcefulness to get past the copy protection I'm afraid.

Have you played Wizards & Warriors? Thats a pretty interesting continuation of the Wizardry series. Probably available for a dollar or two somewhere.

Finally, I'd recommend considering Jeff Vogels Spiderweb games such as Avernum (available from spiderweb.com), Prelude to Darkness (although it is horrendously buggy - from zero-sum.com) & currently in development Mount & Blade for something very different.
These avernum games look like they might be what I am looking for, thanks im going to check out the demo!