MAC games?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
star
Initiate

MAC games?

Post by star »

All the games on here are for PC, any for MAC?
Thanks. :?:
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Eschalon Book I is available for Macintosh, Windows, and Linux platforms.
star
Initiate

Post by star »

i know i was talking about other CRPG's
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Neverwinter nights. The Mac versions are out of print but at bioware's site in their FAQ they have a script that will copy the data files from diamond onto your mac. Fantastic game, and at 15 bucks there is no reason to not get diamond.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Go over to mac.the-underdogs.info/index.php?show=games and you can find abandonware versions of some classics. I've found versions of Bard's Tale and early Might and Magic games out there.

Sorry that you have to cut and paste the link.
stryker
Initiate

Post by stryker »

You can't be a serious gamer if you run a Mac!

PC's are cheaper, better and run just about any game out there, even the older ones (DOS BOX with DOG frontend is the way to go).

I run mac at work. They're not bad if you use graphics, but my home-built PC at home costs a fraction, has more ram and better video.

You can play a true classic -- Ultima III, on the Mac. Here is the link

http://www.lairware.com/ultima3/
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

stryker wrote:You can't be a serious gamer if you run a Mac!
PC's are cheaper, better and run just about any game out there, even the older ones (DOS BOX with DOG frontend is the way to go).
I take exception to these statements. I'd consider myself a "serious" gamer and I use a mac. I use Windows at work, it's not bad if you don't like getting any work done. PC's aren't cheaper, especially if you count a legit copy of windows in your bill. My macbook, had a problem, dropped it off at the Apple Store, went and had a meal, picked up my fixed Macbook. No muss no fuss. I gotta dicker with machines all day, I don't want to be dickering with machines all night when I could be using that tyme to play games. *Note: some people consider dickering a good time.
star
Initiate

Post by star »

Thanks a bunch :D Ultima sounds cool, as do the might and magics.
:D :o
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

Let's not get into the PC vs Mac Vs Linux debates. I have used many computers from a Timex Sinclair ZX81 to Macs to PCs to Amigas to AtariSTs. All computers have their good and bad points.

I have used Macs and PCs at work. I have had problems with both. The point that I think Stryker was trying to make is that there are more games for the PC with Windows. But, having more games to choose from is not necessarily the definition of a serious gamer. One defintion of a serious gamer is a person who is passionate about the games available on their chosen platform.

There are people who own a PC. MAC, XBox, Playstation3, Wii, PSP, DS and other platforms at the same time. Are they serious gamers or fanatical? Enjoy your games on whatever platform you choose. That is what gaming is all about. MacDude, I love dickering. Yes, I repair my computers. I learned a lot and had a great deal of fun building one. But, YMMV.
History is written by the winners!
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

realmzmaster wrote: The point that I think Stryker was trying to make is that there are more games for the PC with Windows.
I'm so sad I had to miss all those gems like Psycho Toxic, Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza, and Neocron......

I've got 18+ consoles and handhelds from the 2600 and SMS era to the 360 and Wii, along with a variety of Macintoshes ranging the gamut of SE (this has an odd helicopter game that only runs on System 6 and under) and up running a range of OS revisions for a number of games (that for one reason or another won't run on newer or older versions of the OS), a smattering of Windows and Linux boxen (that primarily crunch folding@home), as well as a few older computers, Vic-20, C64, Aquarius, etc....Heck I've even got some signed copies of some of the old Scott Adams games like Adventure (I used to live in the same town as him in WI). And lest we forget my slight obsession with FF1 of which have a Messiah Nex and Wireless controllers for. I've kept a Windows box around since 95 and I've never felt Windows to be all that essential to the gaming process (usually a hinderance, drivers this and incompatible that...I'm looking at you FF XI) so I do take offense to statements like You can't be a serious gamer if you run a Mac! I'll nary be called an unserious gamer.

The ultima games were available on GameTap until recently (I was only halfway through II when they pulled them). GameTap is an economical way to get exposure to a variety of games and genres, even with the semi limited Mac version.

realmzmaster: I do appreciate the joy of dickering (man that is such a great word, dicker) but when you have to dicker all day you tend to loose the will to dicker all night. Dicker.

stryker: I've been a fan of the Lairware port for a while and Ultima III on a 20" imac full screen is TITS. The Lairware port is fantastic, we should only be so lucky if more elderly games got the royal modern port treatment like it.

Note: I'm in a particularly frumpy mood from lack of gaming and glut of work, sure the OT is great until you're dead from exhaustion.

Code: Select all

Dicker: treat something casually or irresponsibly; toy with something : [as n. ] ( dickering) there was no dickering with the lyrics.
buckeye43026
Pledge

Post by buckeye43026 »

As far as the Mac goes, I am a VERY serious gamer. Perhaps the PC-ers are not familiar with the fact that all NEW macs, like my Macbook Pro, come with Intel processors and can run WinDOZE (I use XP) natively. The only reason I have it is to run AutoCAD and PC games.

I assure you, you CAN game with NO restraints on a Mac.
Jude
Council Member

Re: MAC games?

Post by Jude »

star wrote:All the games on here are for PC, any for MAC?
Thanks. :?:
In addition to Eschalon Book I, here, check out:
all the RPGs at spiderwebsoftware.com (like the Avernum, Geneforge & Nethergate games),
the Ultima III port,
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms,
Styrateg,
and Star Wars KOTOR.

There's also Diablo II with the Lord of Destruction expansion--not quite an RPG, but a cool hack & slash game with a lot of character development (especially with the patches).

There are also the Escape Velocity games, which are very much like RPGs although you upgrade your ship rather than your character.

There's a cool old-style free RPG called Dinky Dungeon at www.frankenspud.com

There's also a very old-style free RPG called Angband.

You might still be able to find the free Dungeon Master Java version, too, and
Necrotech (which is more of an adventure game, though)

I didn't realize that Macsoftgames was no longer selling Neverwinter Nights...but their store only has one expansion.

Jude
Last edited by Jude on January 18th, 2008, 8:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

buckeye43026 wrote:As far as the Mac goes, I am a VERY serious gamer. Perhaps the PC-ers are not familiar with the fact that all NEW macs, like my Macbook Pro, come with Intel processors and can run WinDOZE (I use XP) natively. The only reason I have it is to run AutoCAD and PC games.

I assure you, you CAN game with NO restraints on a Mac.
lol you gotta love the PC Vs Mac fight so I'll settle this here and now by saying they are both equal BUT MY

TOMY Scramble will outplay them all :lol:

Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

LOL!

But in keeping with the original topic...

If you go to http://www.macgamefiles.com/ you can find demos for many Mac games (and patches and trailers, too), so you can try them out to see if they work on your Mac. Also, there are some freeware games there.

Some of my favorite Mac RPGs are either really hard to find, now, or won't run on the new Intel Macs. The ones I listed in my earlier post should still be for sale (or in the case of freeware, a free download).

Be certain to find the patches for all the games! Sometimes they add content or fix bugs.

Anyway, here's a list of more of my favorite Mac RPGs and pseudo-RPGs that you may be able to find second-hand or in some obscure online store, which may or may not run on your Mac because they are fairly old (some need OS 9 or under):
Baldur's Gate I & II and expansions
IceWind Dale
Quest for Glory
Gorky 17 (also known as Odium, I think)
Deus Ex
Fallout I & II
NeverWinter Nights and expansions
Diablo
Terminus (space sim with missions, also came with a Linux version)
Realmz
Summoner

Jude

EDITED FOR TYPO
Last edited by Jude on January 19th, 2008, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
star
Initiate

Post by star »

Thanks a bunch! now i've got about 50 games to check out :D :mrgreen: