Getting slaughtered - suggestions wanted

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
sjaffe
Apprentice

Getting slaughtered - suggestions wanted

Post by sjaffe »

Ok, I guess I'm near the end of the game. I've got all 4 goblin keys, the help of the giants, a load of healing potions, and I'm at the gate to the goblin citadel. The problem is, I keep getting killed there.

As soon as I enter, hordes of goblins, goblin archers, and tauraxes (tauraxi? tauracis?) swarm toward me. There are giants killing some of them but they die fairly quickly and I end up being surrounded by creatures that kill me faster than I can quaff a healing potion. I've tried using haste and ogre strength potions to help increase the damage done by my bow and sword without success.

So, did I miss something? Is there some other object (besides the crux) I'm supposed to have? Is there another way in that's less dangerous? Or is this just a trial&error thing and I have to keep trying until I succeed? I've tried about 10 times now with the same results each time...

Thanks.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

The best way is to keep back and pick them off with arrows - get the goblin archers first, because they can do the same to you, sjaffe. Otherwise, do it at night and make use of Hiding in Shadows - use Predator Sight, as well, or you won't be able to hit them much better than they can hit you. ;)
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Or just lure a few of them out and massacre them, then go get some more. They don't respawn. I'm surprised the giants are not faring well, when I played the giants pretty much chomped everything up before I got to it ..
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Demon Oil can be your friend, surround yourself with it (flames) and they take lots of damage before getting to you. Of course that means you can't run/walk away to recover without taking damage yourself. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

Post by Daemian Lucifer »

This part was quite easy for me since the chance for any creature to hit me was 2%(thats as low as it goes),and I could hit a taurax 4 in 10 times.So,depends what character you are playing.A fighter/healer or a fighter/buffer is quite a good combination to have here.Demon oil is also a nice way to fight through these as well.Also,use those few powder kegs against them as much as possible.
Martin
Initiate

Post by Martin »

Chameleon would help too. I lured quite a few into the desert so I could pick them off 1 at a time, as well.