Who wants a sneak peak at TRC?

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Who wants a sneak peak at TRC?

Post by BasiliskWrangler » September 2nd, 2018, 7:29 am

A couple people have asked for an update, so here's your Labor Day news:

August testing went well. Lots of issues discussed and improvements to be made, but overall I feel like we've got a really great RPG here. Our tester really enjoyed what he saw, and I think It will be worth the wait for everyone. Unfortunately, it's such a huge task to make everything in 3D versus the old isometric tileset of Eschalon, so we still have some significant work ahead of us. We still have a lot of content to create, and some additional ruleset programming to tighten up the gameplay.

All is going very well, work continues daily, and thanks for having patience!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe » September 3rd, 2018, 5:34 am

I'm hoping everyone here understands enough to know how patience is definitely a virtue in this case. Keep chipping away at it, BW. The fact that there is gameplay for someone to test out is a huge thing. Looking forward to hearing more (and realizing it won't be "soon").
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady » September 3rd, 2018, 8:16 am

This is low-hanging fruit, but it's appropriate on Labor Day to thank you for for laboring away on the new game.

As exciting as it is to know you have something real that people can play, it's just realistic that a great game is going to take time to build. Keep up the good work!

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer » September 3rd, 2018, 11:29 am

Take your time and make lots of content. The one thing I hated about your games was exploring a zone with almost nothing in it to do and/or fight.

Good luck.

blatherbeard
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by blatherbeard » September 3rd, 2018, 3:49 pm

Yay us and you!
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.

Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos » September 9th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Take all the time you need. I still have a backlog of games to work through anyway. :lol:

Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom » November 2nd, 2018, 12:13 pm

How did September and October go?
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » November 2nd, 2018, 3:42 pm

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 12:13 pm
How did September and October go?
Thanks for asking! It went very well. I had pages of suggestions to implement and technical issues to address. The game concept was very well received and everyone is excited to see the game move forward.

There is a problem, however. TRC as a full 3D game is, unfortunately, too much for Basilisk Games. I largely work by myself, except for when I am able to hire people to help with the creation of elements (music, characters, etc.). Upon reviewing my progress at the start of October, it became painfully obvious that it would take much, much longer to finish than I had scheduled. Doing every detail in full 3D honestly requires a full team, which I do not have. On my own, it could easily take another five years to finish.

So I've spent most of October considering converting TRC into an isometric engine, which is a much more manageable engine for a small studio. Luckily, Unity has tools to do this and using Eschalon's tile set, I was able to get a nice little isometric engine running fairly quickly. By the way, Eschalon running in fullscreen 1920 x 1200 at like 160 fps is crazy awesome. Don't freak out, this was just a basic graphic engine using Eschalon's tile set, so there was no "guts" to it; it just looked like High-Def Eschalon Remastered.

So yeah, everything is going great and I am excited at the idea of converting TRC over to an isometric engine. I'd say I get to keep 80% of all the work I've already done, so this won't set me too far back, and it gives be the opportunity to re-imagine the game from a new perspective.

In other news, does anyone remember several years ago I talked about possibly working with other indie developers to publish games through Basilisk Games? I am speaking with a developer now that is working on a game (it's a nice little casual game with a "spooky" theme) and he doesn't have the resources to publish/support the game himself. So we are discussing the possibility of Basilisk publishing it for him. That means I'd prep it for iOS, Android, and Steam, and I'll oversee some finishing touches to make sure it looks and sounds its best. If that happens, you guys may see a Basilisk Games casual game next spring, but it won't take any significant time away from TRC. Obviously, the extra income at this point would be very helpful, so I am hopeful we can reach an agreement.

So that's about it on this end!

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom » November 2nd, 2018, 4:57 pm

I don't think you'll hear many Eschalon fans being upset about switching to an isometric engine ;)

I'm glad to hear things are going well. I saw via RSS that you posted a similar message a couple of months ago but then quickly took it down. I was concerned that that was a bad sign.

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » November 2nd, 2018, 8:11 pm

SpottedShroom wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 4:57 pm
I don't think you'll hear many Eschalon fans being upset about switching to an isometric engine ;)

I'm glad to hear things are going well. I saw via RSS that you posted a similar message a couple of months ago but then quickly took it down. I was concerned that that was a bad sign.
Well, it's been a concern for a while that a full 3D game was "biting off more than I could chew" and so, yeah, it's been a consideration. I was probably wanting to gauge fan reaction but then decided I wasn't ready to confirm a switch to isometric until after the tests.

Some of the tester comments were "Why can't I explore that area?" and I was thinking to myself "because that would be another 3 months of work for me just to give you 10 minutes of additional exploration!"

john1v6
Apprentice

Post by john1v6 » November 2nd, 2018, 9:05 pm

TRC as a full 3D game is, unfortunately, too much for Basilisk Games.
For a moment I was afraid you were abandoning This Righteous Content entirely. I can feel your disappointment at scaling it down to isometric, but you're such a good story writer that I'm sure Ten Random Cats will still be a great game. I just hope it doesn't turn into "Eschalon in Space," but I'm sure you're consciously avoiding that and trying to give Turkeys Racing Chickens its own unique feel. (Yes, I'm still playing "Guess that Title" while you keep the cryptic initials.)

Whatever you end up with, I look forward to buying it and playing it. Good luck!
There are two kinds of people in the world: Us and Them

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom » November 2nd, 2018, 10:27 pm

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
November 2nd, 2018, 8:11 pm
Some of the tester comments were "Why can't I explore that area?" and I was thinking to myself "because that would be another 3 months of work for me just to give you 10 minutes of additional exploration!"
This is one of the reasons I've always preferred simple game engines. Upping the level of detail in your world means making tons more work for yourself to produce the same amount of complexity. Modern AAA RPGs have (at best) the same level of complexity as small-team 90s RPGs.

Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom » November 3rd, 2018, 7:38 am

BasiliskWrangler wrote:This sci-fi RPG is really unique in several aspects, in that nothing quite like it has been done before as far as I know...
Will the change to isometric affect this uniqueness? A pity that you didn't go the Kickstarter route since you have a working demo and from what you've posted it was received positively from your inner circle.
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » November 3rd, 2018, 11:04 am

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 7:38 am
BasiliskWrangler wrote:This sci-fi RPG is really unique in several aspects, in that nothing quite like it has been done before as far as I know...
Will the change to isometric affect this uniqueness? A pity that you didn't go the Kickstarter route since you have a working demo and from what you've posted it was received positively from your inner circle.
Not at all. The uniqueness of TRC is in the RPG rule set and character building mechanics. As a game, it's going to probably feel as much of a standard RPG as any, however, we're not dealing with Elves and magic and enchanted objects. When you see it, you'll understand right away.

Seriously, thanks to everyone for understanding. I know it has been a looooong time since Book III and you're all wondering what the hell is happening over here. Between needing time off from development after Book III, learning an entirely new development system (from BlitzMax + 3D Studio to Unity + Blender), all the while inventing a new RPG system and even tinkering with other ideas (Zodiac, etc).....yeah, it's been a long road. But I'm still here every day, full time, doing my thing.

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer » November 3rd, 2018, 12:04 pm

I think most of us will prefer more gaming content to fancier graphics. While there are lots of players that want the AAA graphics look, they also don't play the game to the end so they miss out on content.

Keep going because some of us could die of old age if we have to wait 5 more years for you to finish. :)