Wizards and Warriors

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
blm14
Initiate

Wizards and Warriors

Post by blm14 »

NOT the old one from the 1990s, evidently DW Bradley (of wizardry fame) created a new set of games with this name in 2000 sometime:

http://www.heuristicpark.com/deep6.htm

Has anyone played these? Are they any good?
vid
Senior Steward

Re: Wizards and Warriors

Post by vid »

blm14 wrote:NOT the old one from the 1990s, evidently DW Bradley (of wizardry fame) created a new set of games with this name in 2000 sometime:

http://www.heuristicpark.com/deep6.htm

Has anyone played these? Are they any good?
Its just one game: "Wizards and Warriors" and yes, its pretty good. Not very different from Wizardry.

There is a "lets play"-thread of W&W on rpgcodex going on, look here:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22317

But beware of spoilers of course!
getter77
Senior Steward

Post by getter77 »

Hmm...drat. Seems to be not terribly expensive on Amazon.com Sellers, but also seems to not run on XP.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I really enjoyed W&W, though I never finished it (I forget now what prevented me from doing so, but I think it was a bug.)
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

I got it for dirt cheap a few years ago, but still haven't actually found time to play it so it's collecting dust on my shelf. I heard it's quite buggy though...
Feidb
Apprentice

Post by Feidb »

I played it and loved it. Not as much as Might & Magic, but still very good. I don't remember any big bugs in the game. I just downloaded the latest patch and played. To me it was almost an abbreviated version of Wizardry. Just seemed shorter with less to do.

I wouldn't mind if DW Bradley continued on with these types of games. I think I heard he started going for the third person isometric games, which is a shame. And no, I'm not knocking Eschalon either!
Pants
Pledge

Post by Pants »

getter77 wrote:Hmm...drat. Seems to be not terribly expensive on Amazon.com Sellers, but also seems to not run on XP.
I bought it cheap from GameStation for 50p and can assure you that it does run on Windows XP but you do have to do some buggering about to get the towns to scroll. The codec used to encode the town .avi files was sold and no longer included in WinXP 'cause it's not free. I downloaded the free VirtualDub program and decoded and saved the .avi files and bingo! It worked.

I liked the game. Reminded me of Wizardry 7 which i REALLY enjoyed, though it is more linear, but still highly enjoyable.

Try it out!
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I tried all the suggested tricks, but couldn't get it to run under XP. I set up a dual boot system so I can use Win98 and the game runs fine. I have not seen any bugs and I'm having a blast. Its sort of like (Wiz7 + Wiz8)/2.
Zakhal
Initiate

Post by Zakhal »

I test ran it on my winxp and it run without any problems. It looks like a keeper but I need to finishe the earlier wiz games first.