Made the switch to Linux but...

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
confused1
Apprentice

Made the switch to Linux but...

Post by confused1 »

Now Eschalon won't run at all! I am trying the demo version of Eschalon until I can make sure it will run. I have my HD partitioned and I know that Eschalon runs in XP. Please help, I click the executable file for book 1 and nothing happens. I downloaded the demo and extratced it to my desktop and it won't run. Can someone help me? Or tell me how to get Wine running on Ubuntu?
If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of men.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

What version of Linux are you currently using?

{edit} Oh, I assume Ubuntu since you asked how to get Wine running. I've never used wine.

Look back through some of the older threads in this forum, specifically a week or two after the Linux version was released. There are lots of topics on suggestions for getting Eschalon to run.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

No, Wine will run on most Linux distributions, not just Ubuntu, BW. I've had games running in Wine before, but I don't have it running ATM - who needs it when you can get great games like Eschalon running natively in Linux? :D

@confused1: which Ubuntu release are you using? Also, are you running a 32bit or a 64bit OS? What sort of system are you running on; particularly, what videocard (and what driver for it?) and do you have a working soundcard?

Try starting Eschalon: Book I from a terminal so you can see what error messages you get. The most likely thing is that you're missing one or more dependencies. Gutsy, certainly, should run Eschalon out of the box, unless you're lacking a 3D driver for your videocard or have soundcard problems.

BTW, since you were using Eschalon on XP before, are you sure you're not trying to get the Windows version to run on Linux? There's a different version for Linux.

Edit: you know that, if you buy the CD version of Eschalon: Book I now, you get Windows, Mac and Linux versions on the CD, and are licensed to use all of them?
confused1
Apprentice

Post by confused1 »

I'm positive that I'm not trying to run the Windows version. I downloaded the Linux version from Gamershell. It was only the demo since I haven't bought the linux version.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Could you answer the other questions, please, confused1, or we can't help you?
confused1
Apprentice

Post by confused1 »

@confused1: which Ubuntu release are you using? Also, are you running a 32bit or a 64bit OS? What sort of system are you running on; particularly, what videocard (and what driver for it?) and do you have a working soundcard?

Try starting Eschalon: Book I from a terminal so you can see what error messages you get. The most likely thing is that you're missing one or more dependencies. Gutsy, certainly, should run Eschalon out of the box, unless you're lacking a 3D driver for your videocard or have soundcard problems.

Using 7.10. 32 bit OS. Working soundcard, using Nvidia GeForce3 Ti 500 with latest drivers but latest updates for the driver was 10/22/2006. It is an older computer.

How do I start from a terminal?
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Are you using the default videocard driver, confused1, or the proprietary one? It's very likely you'll need the proprietary driver to run many games, including E:BI. If you have the default free driver, open the Restricted Drivers Manager (System -> Administration -> Restricted Drivers Manager) and if a proprietary driver is offered for your card, tick the box and follow instructions. You'll probably need to reboot.

To start from a terminal, first open one (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal), cd into your Eschalon folder and enter ./eschalon_book_1_demo