Two questions and a little thoughts about the game

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
carrotghoul
Initiate

Two questions and a little thoughts about the game

Post by carrotghoul »

Played the game twice,first time finished as a fighter who uses magic buffs a lot,second time a mage still in progress.Thx for the useful information provided by you guys on the forum^-^I have a very smooth play through as a beginner(in fact,the game has become a breeze in the later part).But there are still some questions.
1 How do you access the area where there's the beer easter egg,I can't find a way to get there.
2 There seems to be 31 quests in the game,but I can only find 28.Could someone plz be kind enough to make a list?

Ok,here goes my two cents.
1 Invisibility is really unbalanced and overpowered.It feels like cheating and takes challenge from the game.You'll never be in real danger as long as you have the spell or the potion in your pack.Beat the enemies silly,and they don't fight back.Well it's kinda boring.

2 The game is really magic rewarding,you invest a lot in strength and dexterity for all the labour and toils and the magic user just casts ogre strength and nimbleness to beat you,it's not fair.There should be advantage and disadvantage for each class.I really can't see the advantage for the fighter type.That's why I ended as a hybrid in the first play through.
Last edited by carrotghoul on May 27th, 2010, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krafen
Council Member

Re: Two questions and a little thoughts about the game

Post by Krafen »

My impression is that hybrid is the baseline. All skills are open to all characters. There are no arbitrary restrictions such as "stealthy people cannot use magic" or "if you study magic you cannot learn to use a sword."

Magic is powerful in Eschalon and nearly everyone can benefit from it. Anyone with the necessary wisdom or intelligence is welcome to study magic.

If you choose to restrict yourself to certain skills, there is nothing wrong with that, but realize it is voluntary.
Lhoric
Senior Steward

Post by Lhoric »

carrotghoul wrote:1 How do you access the area where there's the beer easter egg,I can't find a way to get there.
Edit your location in RAM or edit your location in save game file & load it. *Poof* you are at new location.
-->> Lhoric
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

There are some monsters like devilmanders that can still detect you when invisible from noisy steps and then hit you. Still it's overpowered until it wears off. :)

I used mass boil near the end outside the last fortress. I just had my priest stand there and drink a haste potion, fortified mana potion and then cast until there were a few badly damaged defenders left to chase down and kill. Of course they only had a 1% chance of hitting me.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Lhoric wrote:
carrotghoul wrote:1 How do you access the area where there's the beer easter egg,I can't find a way to get there.
Edit your location in RAM or edit your location in save game file & load it. *Poof* you are at new location.
-->> Lhoric

In actuality you can NOT enter that or a couple of other areas without cheating. There's nothing there but empty space. Some did do a cheat to get those areas in his map. Forget about it unless you like to poke around in your game files and know how to do it without messing it up.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Dragonlady wrote:
Lhoric wrote:
-->> Lhoric

In actuality you can NOT enter that or a couple of other areas without cheating. There's nothing there but empty space. Some did do a cheat to get those areas in his map. Forget about it unless you like to poke around in your game files and know how to do it without messing it up.
Editing your Portal spell locations might be a safer approach. I haven't experimented with that, though.
carrotghoul
Initiate

Post by carrotghoul »

Krafen wrote:My impression is that hybrid is the baseline. All skills are open to all characters. There are no arbitrary restrictions such as "stealthy people cannot use magic" or "if you study magic you cannot learn to use a sword."

Magic is powerful in Eschalon and nearly everyone can benefit from it. Anyone with the necessary wisdom or intelligence is welcome to study magic.

If you choose to restrict yourself to certain skills, there is nothing wrong with that, but realize it is voluntary.
But why bother creating classes if there're no real distinctions between them.I think the blurry boundaries reduce the fun playing as a certain class.Say,if you're playing a melee fighter,there should be some penalty casting spells,for example,where a magic user adds one skill point to increase his element or divine skill +1,you have to add 2 skill points,this will set restriction for the fighter type to access the second or third tier magic.Vice versa.thus set the distinctions between different classes and add more replaying value.Of course this's just some vague ideas.Spiderweb's Geneforge has done some work in that aspect though defective.It does make each class more distinctive.

Thx for the replies,guys.
Drixx
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Drixx »

carrotghoul wrote: But why bother creating classes if there're no real distinctions between them.I think the blurry boundaries reduce the fun playing as a certain class.Say,if you're playing a melee fighter,there should be some penalty casting spells,for example,where a magic user adds one skill point to increase his element or divine skill +1,you have to add 2 skill points,this will set restriction for the fighter type to access the second or third tier magic.Vice versa.thus set the distinctions between different classes and add more replaying value.Of course this's just some vague ideas.Spiderweb's Geneforge has done some work in that aspect though defective.It does make each class more distinctive.

Thx for the replies,guys.
Simply put, if you want to play a "pure" fighter, then decide ahead of time which skills he cannot use, which attributes he will not raise, and stick with it. There is nothing stopping you from imposing the restrictions that you desire.

I'm trying to figure out why you think your ideal should be imposed upon everybody, when you can quite easily enjoy your ideal without forcing everybody else to endure it.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

In Eschalon, there is no "class." All the class selection really does is help determine your title and starting skill... you're picking your "roots." From there, it's entirely up to you how you choose to develop your character.

While I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some class specific skills/abilities, I can appreciate BW's intent by not limiting the player's choice. It's not up to him to babysit everyone and tell them how they should and shouldn't "raise" their creations.

I see plenty of replay value in the game without imposing restrictions on character creation/development.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

CrazyBernie wrote:In Eschalon, there is no "class." All the class selection really does is help determine your title and starting skill... you're picking your "roots." From there, it's entirely up to you how you choose to develop your character.

While I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some class specific skills/abilities, I can appreciate BW's intent by not limiting the player's choice. It's not up to him to babysit everyone and tell them how they should and shouldn't "raise" their creations.

I see plenty of replay value in the game without imposing restrictions on character creation/development.
Amen, I second that statement CB. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!