Q&A - Ask a question, Get an answer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Well thats a normal thing to do, making cuts that is. Every company does it that actually releases their software. I really hope things work out so we can see what you guys have planned for part 2...I like how you guys talk to us fans:)
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

That sound fantastic. Never saw so much love for detail in a Computer RPG. At last not for many years. You are truly RPGers!
I love these complexity under the hood. Makes the world feel more real.

What do you think about that? If you find a mighty magical item you cant identify it by yourself but you got a text-message saying something like "I feel a strange power emitted by this thing. Have to find someone who can help me with it". Something like that could be a cool thing.
"FUL IR"
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Well, I'll explain things more when the time is near, but our plan is not to flood the game with a ton of magical items. Rather, we have planned a system where there are a multitude of different metals in the world: copper, bronze, iron, steel, mithril, adamantine, divine ore, etc. Any weapon and armor can be made of this metal (or alloys thereof) resulting in numerous variations of common items such as short swords and chainmail jerkins. Each metal has it's own hardness, weight, and rareness, and that is reflected in the cost and frequency of finding items made of it. Wooden items follow the same idea using numerous variations of wood.

Basically, with the system we plan on implementing, there are a large assortment of base items, a large assortment of woods, metals and alloys, and an assortment of imbuements. When we need a weapon, we just ask the system to give us a random weapon. It'll fabricate one based on the rarity levels we request. The combination of all these things means we will have hundreds and hundreds of unique items available, and relatively low percentage will be enchanted with magic.

It reminds me of another game....
If I remeber well it was EVIL ISLANDS: CURSE OF THE LOST SOUL.
It had a similar item system with different materials and item models.
It was a good system and hunting down some monsters or places to find rarest ingredients was funny.
Also, some rarer materials were impossible to use at lower level.

So here's a question:
- Do you think you'll bind the use of some rarer materials to certain level or stats (i.e. putting stat or level requirements)?
- Will we get empty "prints" (schematics...like in Arcanum) to build items (like in Evil Islands)? I.e. We'll find a chain armor schematics greyed out and it'll be possible to add iron to build an iron mail armor.
- Will it be possible to change component material of our items?
I.e. If I find rare schematics to build a stange two handed sword, will it be possible to remove iron and add divine ore to get a better weapon?
furor vincit omnia
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Is the game keyboard driven, mouse or either?
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Gwendo
Apprentice

Post by Gwendo »

I would like to know if you have any plans about making future Eschalon books mod-friendly.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Gwendo wrote:I would like to know if you have any plans about making future Eschalon books mod-friendly.
Yes, but that probably won't happen until Book III.
Dragonlady wrote:Is the game keyboard driven, mouse or either?
Both. Mouse is used for most actions, but nearly everything has a keyboard shortcut as well.

gragnak: we'll talk more about item construction and materials for the next game when Book I is finished. Just too early to talk about it now.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Ok, im going to be a pest.

Are you in the Alpha or Beta test phase? And if so, what percent would you say is complete?

Sorry just cant help myself waiting or this game.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

I would never consider anyone who is anxious to play the game a "pest". Unfortunately, we can't just say exactly when it will be finished. But to answer your question: no, we are not doing the final beta testing right now, but we will be starting it soon.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I would never consider anyone who is anxious to play the game a "pest". Unfortunately, we can't just say exactly when it will be finished. But to answer your question: no, we are not doing the final beta testing right now, but we will be starting it soon.
Very good, thanks for responding. I like to know what games are coming out as soon as I can so I can schedule some of my vacation time:) The girlfriend is making me go to Hawaii this summer, I know sounds great and it will be fun, but I miss the internet and games and such when gone for a week. I guess I am truly a geek at heart. 8)
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

gragnak wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Well, I'll explain things more when the time is near, but our plan is not to flood the game with a ton of magical items. Rather, we have planned a system where there are a multitude of different metals in the world: copper, bronze, iron, steel, mithril, adamantine, divine ore, etc. Any weapon and armor can be made of this metal (or alloys thereof) resulting in numerous variations of common items such as short swords and chainmail jerkins. Each metal has it's own hardness, weight, and rareness, and that is reflected in the cost and frequency of finding items made of it. Wooden items follow the same idea using numerous variations of wood.

Basically, with the system we plan on implementing, there are a large assortment of base items, a large assortment of woods, metals and alloys, and an assortment of imbuements. When we need a weapon, we just ask the system to give us a random weapon. It'll fabricate one based on the rarity levels we request. The combination of all these things means we will have hundreds and hundreds of unique items available, and relatively low percentage will be enchanted with magic.

It reminds me of another game....
If I remeber well it was EVIL ISLANDS: CURSE OF THE LOST SOUL.
It had a similar item system with different materials and item models.
It was a good system and hunting down some monsters or places to find rarest ingredients was funny.
Also, some rarer materials were impossible to use at lower level.

So here's a question:
- Do you think you'll bind the use of some rarer materials to certain level or stats (i.e. putting stat or level requirements)?
- Will we get empty "prints" (schematics...like in Arcanum) to build items (like in Evil Islands)? I.e. We'll find a chain armor schematics greyed out and it'll be possible to add iron to build an iron mail armor.
- Will it be possible to change component material of our items?
I.e. If I find rare schematics to build a stange two handed sword, will it be possible to remove iron and add divine ore to get a better weapon?
Ehi BasiliskW, can you answer this please?
furor vincit omnia
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

I read about a limited edition CD version and I was wondering what it will
contain.Anything printed like maps or a manual?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

The limited CD really just means that we will do a limited run of copies...once they're gone, they're gone (well, unless we really get enough requests to do another run). Price wise, I think it will cost about $10 more than the download version because of duplication, supplies, printing, shipping and handling.

The CD will just be the game on CD-ROM in a DVD-like case with a printed jacket. Extras on the CD? It will probably include a high-resolution world map in a couple formats (PDF and JPG) that users can print off themselves. Not sure what else, but perhaps we can find a few other things to throw on there.

The manual that you mention will be included with the download version as well as the CD. It will be a PDF.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

gragnak wrote:Ehi BasiliskW, can you answer this please?
I sorta did already! :) What I said was: it's just too early to talk Book II stuff yet. It's fun to throw around ideas, but we gotta get Book I out the door before any serious discussion can take place.

However, I don't really like the idea of items having swappable metal components. As for empty prints...maybe. I am not familiar with Evil Islands so I should play it a bit to see what you are talking about. Overall, I am not really sure how much control Book II will give the player to actually build items using basic components...forging items might be a Book III feature.
Quaan
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Quaan »

Thank you for responding so fast.I am very much looking forward to play
Eschalon especially after viewing the trailer and I will definitley order
the cd version.Just hope you ship to Europe.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
gragnak wrote:Ehi BasiliskW, can you answer this please?
I sorta did already! :) What I said was: it's just too early to talk Book II stuff yet. It's fun to throw around ideas, but we gotta get Book I out the door before any serious discussion can take place.

However, I don't really like the idea of items having swappable metal components. As for empty prints...maybe. I am not familiar with Evil Islands so I should play it a bit to see what you are talking about. Overall, I am not really sure how much control Book II will give the player to actually build items using basic components...forging items might be a Book III feature.
Thanks!
About Book I..... you'll set some level/stat limitetions for using items made of better materials?
furor vincit omnia