A few questions

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
EngryBalls
Initiate

A few questions

Post by EngryBalls »

Hello guys. I have a few questions about the game:
1) I've found a lot of Skulls and Femurs. Can I use them? Or are they just for sale?
2) I've also found a few gems. Same question: can I use them, e.g. to craft something?
3) (spoiler alert, the second quest of the game :wink: ) I have to recover my amulet from Eversleep Cemetary. It seems I got 2 Crypt Keys. I think one was given by Leurik and I've stolen the other one. Are there 2 identical keys? I suppose I can get rid of one of them?

Thanks a lot! :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: A few questions

Post by SpottedShroom »

EngryBalls wrote:Hello guys. I have a few questions about the game:
1) I've found a lot of Skulls and Femurs. Can I use them? Or are they just for sale?
2) I've also found a few gems. Same question: can I use them, e.g. to craft something?
3) (spoiler alert, the second quest of the game :wink: ) I have to recover my amulet from Eversleep Cemetary. It seems I got 2 Crypt Keys. I think one was given by Leurik and I've stolen the other one. Are there 2 identical keys? I suppose I can get rid of one of them?

Thanks a lot! :)
1. They're just for sale. Maybe there'll be necromancy options in Book III :)

2. Ditto, just money.

3. There are a few places where you can get multiples of a key. It's actually a bit annoying since I never remember which key goes to what, so I end up hanging onto the extras unnecessarily until the end of the game. If you're sure it's a duplicate you can safely get rid of it. It might be a better idea to stash it in some container, though, just in case.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

You only need one of the two keys - they are identical.
EngryBalls
Initiate

Post by EngryBalls »

Thank you very much for so fast replies! :D
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Yeah, and for keys that aren't obviously identical: just hold on to them, and when you use one it'll just disappear from your inventory. No need to know where they go. (Although you'll get a message, when you open a door, that a certain key has been used.)

But if you're not absolutely sure that they're duplicates, I agree with Shroom: hold onto them both. Better safe than locked out.

Bones and skulls sell for 1 coin, if I remember correctly. In Book 2 they're useless and valueless, which is good. I never understood, in Book 1, why on earth anyone would want to buy bones from me, but they did. :?

(In Book 2, while merchants (those at the inns) won't buy them from you: they will occasionally have them for sale . . . which to me seems very, very odd.)

I remember more than once, in Book 1, filling up much or most of my inventory with bones and skulls collected from crypts, even though I knew they'd only sell for 1 coin each. In Eschalon: you can never have too much money.

Shroom:
Oooh, necromancy! :twisted: I can only hope that's an option in Book 3.

That, and being able to rent one of those empty spaces that they have in Port Kuudad... maybe open up a bone and skull shop.

(Sorry I'm a little late for the fast-reply firing line. I seem to be out of the loop.)
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Evnissyen wrote:(In Book 2, while merchants (those at the inns) won't buy them from you: they will occasionally have them for sale . . . which to me seems very, very odd.)
I'd check that again if I were you. They still buy skulls and femurs from you in Book II. I just wish you could use them as gifts for the mire trolls, who clearly love them as they lock them away in chests and guard them with their lives.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Evnissyen wrote:(In Book 2, while merchants (those at the inns) won't buy them from you: they will occasionally have them for sale . . . which to me seems very, very odd.)
I'd check that again if I were you. They still buy skulls and femurs from you in Book II. I just wish you could use them as gifts for the mire trolls, who clearly love them as they lock them away in chests and guard them with their lives.
Seriously? I seem to remember trying to sell a skull and bone to the innkeeper in Eastwillow, and he wouldn't buy them. Well... next time I come across a skull or bone, I'll check the value. If it says "1" then I'll try selling it again, first to the same innkeeper, just to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

Sometimes that happens: I killed one NPC I won't name (he didn't deserve it, I felt bad, but it got me money I desperately needed) and I found I think just over 200 coins on him... and then when I looked in my inventory the money was not there... I'm thinking, what the hell?

Turns out I'd closed the bag without even taking the loot. I had to go back and get it.

So, this could be one of those situations where I thought I did something and didn't actually do it.

At any rate: when the Eastwillow innkeeper wouldn't buy it or when I thought he wouldn't buy it, I was happy about that. I felt that this was a game improvement, since I don't feel that things as useless as bones should really be up for trade.

Now I'm sad, again.
Last edited by Evnissyen on July 22nd, 2010, 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

They may be useless to you, but they're prized possessions to some. Those goblins in Book I love skulls and femurs for decorating their fortresses and such, and as I said, in Book II, the mire trolls adore them--and really want to add yours to their collection.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Maybe, but we're talking human merchants, here, not goblin merchants or mire troll merchants. And I'm willing to bet they very rarely, if ever, see a goblin or troll client sauntering into their shop.

Maybe these goblins and mire trolls should have merchants of their own whom we can deal with?
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Evnissyen wrote: Bones and skulls sell for 1 coin, if I remember correctly. In Book 2 they're useless and valueless, which is good. I never understood, in Book 1, why on earth anyone would want to buy bones from me, but they did. :?

(In Book 2, while merchants (those at the inns) won't buy them from you: they will occasionally have them for sale . . . which to me seems very, very odd.)

I remember more than once, in Book 1, filling up much or most of my inventory with bones and skulls collected from crypts, even though I knew they'd only sell for 1 coin each. In Eschalon: you can never have too much money.

Why? Because they need it for Bonemeal. They grind it up to make bread for the undead help. Or they sell it to farmers for those weird crops... :roll:

And as someone said, you can sell bones in Book 2. I think in both games the bones sell for 1gp and skulls for 5gp. I usually don't bother due to weight issuse except at the very beginning when you need cash a lot.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Evnissyen wrote:Maybe, but we're talking human merchants, here, not goblin merchants or mire troll merchants. And I'm willing to bet they very rarely, if ever, see a goblin or troll client sauntering into their shop.

Maybe these goblins and mire trolls should have merchants of their own whom we can deal with?
Try leaving some extra bones in the mire troll chest, then wait a while and see if they get removed and swapped for gold...
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

It turns out Dragonlady's exactly right... 1g for bones, 5g for skulls in Book 1.

Book 2, I've yet to find out. Next time I come across some skulls & bones.

...If only Book 2 was situated in southern New England, and included a ruined New Haven, with an anarchistic Yale University... .

I used to live there, you know. Lame city. The mayors don't seem to be able to do anything with it.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Just thought I'd follow up on my Book 2 experience with bones & skulls:

I just found a bone in Port Kuudad. It was worth 2g. The fat guy at the flophouse, I think it was, bought it for 1g.

It's worth noting that I had just gained 1 point in Mercantile, so I can't say for sure that I was mistaken before about not being able to sell bones & skulls to the innkeeper in Eastwillow . . . although if I had to guess: my guess would be that I'd made a mistake.

I wonder if there's a point where you've gained so much mercantile skill that you can actually sell a bone to a merchant for 2g?

"But look at the quality! Totally unmarred surface! This here is one killer bone! And... now I can't confirm this... but word is it comes from the infamous goblin Glugg, killed in the Player Viewpoint Wars, when the heroes of Isometric fought the forces of Rotating Camera... ."
EngryBalls
Initiate

Post by EngryBalls »

Thank you for the bones discussion, guys. And now I have two more questions.
1) How can I separate items? For example, take one of my 6 potions that lie in the same inventory cell.
2) *Spoler alert :wink: * I have a quest about Father Michael from Aridell, I agreeded to bring a letter to the Captain in Darkford. But he's drunk and doesn't seem to take me seriously. Is that alright, or is there another way to obtain justice? Maybe I should give the letter to someone else?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

EngryBalls wrote:1) How can I separate items? For example, take one of my 6 potions that lie in the same inventory cell.
Shift-click is what you're looking for.
2) *Spoler alert :wink: * I have a quest about Father Michael from Aridell, I agreeded to bring a letter to the Captain in Darkford. But he's drunk and doesn't seem to take me seriously. Is that alright, or is there another way to obtain justice? Maybe I should give the letter to someone else?
Hm, that's kind of odd. And the quest is still in your quest journal? There's no way to make the Captain really take you seriously, but I'd have thought that the quest would have completed once you talked to him. Do you still have that letter in your inventory?