For recent Stardock purchases of Eschalon Book 1: crash help

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
usedmanatee
Initiate

For recent Stardock purchases of Eschalon Book 1: crash help

Post by usedmanatee »

edit: 1.06 just went live today (9/10/10) on Impulse. This should solve the identified issues. (Haven't tested)

There are several threads that cover this, but none are specifically titled to address the fact that the Stardock release is broken. This info would have helped me had it been stickied.

If you get an Access Violation Error and subsequent crash in the crypt (the very first one you find yourself in trying to get your amulet) that looks like the first picture in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4356

Please visit this thread:
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... 188#p34188

and download the zip file linked there by Basilisk Wrangler. Do not be alarmed that this is a Mac thread! The issue we are experiencing is a known problem with the Stardock version of 1.05 missing some audio files. When the game attempts to access and play those files, it can't find them and crashes.

Just extract these files to the /sound directory wherever Impulse installed for you. To find this folder easily, open Impulse -> right click on the Eschalon Book 1 icon -> select Open Application Folder. In there you will see "sound." That's where the files must go.

On my system (Vista), the folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\Indie Games\Eschalon Book I\sound. Your exactly location will vary by operating system. The most foolproof way is to go in via the Impulse browser.

--

As noted by previous posters, there may be additional crash points stemming from similar (?) missing files. Please document the exact point you are in the game where it crashes and email Basilisk Wrangler directly.

Hope this helps somebody get their amulet a little faster than I got mine.

(And as an aside, perhaps a little exception handling could avoid this kind of crash? Test to see if the resource exists before attempting to manipulate it.)
Last edited by usedmanatee on September 10th, 2010, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: For recent Stardock purchases of Eschalon Book 1: crash

Post by CrazyBernie »

A+ for initiative. 8)