Master of Magic revisited

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Master of Magic revisited

Post by Farwalker »

Master of Magic - who else loved it back in the day?

Well, I gave it another spin recently courtesy of a super-convenient version available from the good old games crew. Runs great on windows, costs very little (maybe five or six bucks if I recall right), and still has the same charm I remembered... There's also a fan-made patch floating around that corrects a few things in the final official version as well, which is easy to install on the gog version and worked well in the playthrough I tried.

Lots of fun! Anyone else give it a whirl?
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Master of Magic revisited

Post by Farwalker »

I do so love it when you get to the point in the game where your hero stack just wanders around owning everything.
My halfling slingers and other conquered tribes held off the enemy while I cooked up some heavy duty artifacts for my hero(s). Took a while to get a decent hero, but once the windwalker showed up and I geared him up it was all downhill from there.
One thing this game could use is an automatic city manager: I'd love to set up a list of priorities of what to produce in what order - would make the game a bit less tedious at points.
Very fun!
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

I play MoM occasionally, as well as MoO. Both are still a lot of fun.

If you think a bunch of demi-god level heroes owns a game, try Sorcery Nodes with at least 4 Blue Dragons, or try playing Impossible with 4 opponents and survive to mid-game :P
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

severian wrote:I play MoM occasionally, as well as MoO. Both are still a lot of fun.

If you think a bunch of demi-god level heroes owns a game, try Sorcery Nodes with at least 4 Blue Dragons, or try playing Impossible with 4 opponents and survive to mid-game :P
Yep, Impossible is brutal. As it should be! :D

One of these days I may have to try the "free dragons" trick I've heard about. If I recall properly it's one of those where you need to go find some extra sorcery books to make it work. That can be a bit of hit or miss though.

I went looking for extra sorcery books in this last game, I think I only found one extra in all those Myrran sorcery nodes.