My Impressions of Book II and suggestions for Book III

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Lightzy
Initiate

My Impressions of Book II and suggestions for Book III

Post by Lightzy »

Ok, bought the game, finished it.
Was a true blast. I did all the quests with a ranger character that had high str/dex/speed (32-35) and pretty low everything else. I didn't min-max anything because I don't do that and also it was my first playthrough so I didn't know how to 'cheat' the system.
I DID end up with very high alchemy and pretty high magic skills too (for healing/cat eyes/food and water creation which is ESSENTIAL)

I LOVED the might&magic references with the orakur and everything related to them superimposed on the Eschalon world.
Absolutely loved it. Don't knock the value of nostalgy when designing an RPG, is what I say!
Also, the difficulty felt just right and the game felt like there's a lot to explore but not overwhelmingly so. Very good and delicate balance for me.

I also like how the progression felt.
That in the beginning I'm a hopeless insect that can't do anything, around midgame everything feels a bit hard.. creatures are hard to fight, some areas still feel difficult and money is tight as well (early mid-game feel great in this game unless you're min/maxing infinite money which buys infinite skills) and by the endgame I'm very powerful (though still not more powerful than the late-game enemies) and I can basically manufacture money and high level equipment for endless income if I wanted to, but there's no incentive to do that because by then the game gets very combat-focused and you don't NEED all the stuff you needed to buy midgame (food, better equipment etc) because you have it all already.

Oh, and I enjoyed the way some skill overlap is set.
Since XP is this games 'finite resource' (havent checked if you can cheat having infinite encounters with camping), having lockpicking was actually a really good choice even though you could bash everything like a monkey with no real deterrent, because lockpicking allowed me to level up much faster at early-game. I thought this was well thought-out.
Other things I found well thought out were.. well, for example, bows are HORRIBLE. they cost a ton, they keep costing more for arrows which weigh a lot and can almost never be gotten during a dungeon, and although my dex was as high as my str/speed the bow always had abyssmal hit chance, draw distance is tiny and you get like 4-5 shots before enemies close in and pummel you while you change equipment and for 2 of those shots you get a huge range penalty anyway.. they just suck.
But they were ok for me because dex is inherently an important stat for everything else my character was doing! lockpicks and general to-hit bonus etc. very useful. so even though bows suck, the stat synergy made it a logical choice under the circumstances and I'd have never gotten it any other way.
Also the bow special move is ABSURDLY GOOD. I'd generally run around with a bow, use it for just one auto-hit 100-200dmg shot and switch to sword/shield.
I suppose this is because I wanted to play the character that I wanted to play, instead of the character that the stats made sense for (spears for example)
And I love the game for enabling to do that and even finish the game with these way sub-optimal choices

Overall I really enjoyed the game and I feel like it was a very good purchase. Unlike some other games in recent memory which are supposedly AAA titles (civ5 etc).

ALTHOUGH: Shame on you for giving me the unique sword 2 minutes before the end of the game!!!

Here are a few things I'd like to see book III

1) Items that give bonuses to non-combat stats should not be equippable.
Having one in your inventory should be enough, and then only the highest bonus is used.
This is so that I wouldn't have completely switch gear every time I go camping/city romping/alchemying/etc.

2) None of that 'must remove boots before travel, and boots/pants before lava' stuff!
That's just extra clicking without any consequences it seems. You should probably die just for travelling without boots. and huge damage from lava/ice without boots on.
Again, so I'd have less 'no action' clicking

3) Make cartography either more useful or remove it as a skill.
I felt real dumb for having spent 8 points in cartography. Especially after halfway through I found out there's a trainer for it and since it gave my character nothing.
I was expecting Cartography to give me more fast-travel capabilities, to highlight points of interest on the map.. I don't know, anything.
Seemed totally useless until the fathersmurf maze, but seeing as that part was mandatory for escaping, it doesn't seem like cartography actually rewarded me in any way.
I'm leaning towards removing it as a skill personally

4) Different loot!
Just to avoid staleness and instant familiarity, I'd suggest that all loot is different in Book III. The items list I mean. So that you'd have that sense of discovery again.
I love in games that the setting is actually a setting... Like, if it's a jungle realm then equipment would be based on things that can be found in the area and/or are actually useful in jungles.. you know, special tree barks, unique animal skins, etc.

But if you guys want to recycle the loot because its a lot of art assets then I suppose it makes sense.
I just think it'll be a lot more atmospheric this way and it does seem like you guys are going for a more 'mature' theme in a way, which is a perfect fit for hardcore RPGers

5) Maybe a bit less in-game cheating.
I mean, I don't mind that now, knowing the game, I can step in and have an infinite money machine using a character that I min-maxed at level 1 with hugely high wis/per or high forage/alchemy.
I don't mind this because I never replay an RPG unless driven to it by a ridiculously fun combat mechanic (well, it's not like I want to replay the story. what's the point).. like in darksun or fallout2

Hmm, guess I don't really care about suggestion 5 then.
Unless the game system is the same as Book II, in which case I'm afraid that through familiarity I'll have a super-powered character and that wont be fun.

6) Flavor text!
I love the written dialogue in Book II.
I mean it's not PS:Torment but it's good writing. There are some funny jokes (steal your customers.. heh) and the skill books are VERY well written.
I'd love to have a bit more text on monsters, unique items and items in general. Or at least some people you can talk to that tell you about these things.

7) Skill trainers and books should be better managed.
Like I said with cartography, I felt really dumb for having put points in it because later I found a trainer that I'd have no problem affording because of limitless money from crafting and foraging.. and because I don't think infinite money is going anywhere for book III (I mean, how would you possibly prevent it with the current systems except some kind of meta-gamey rule that forbids sale of forage ingredients or changing the whole crafting system completely)

Instead I propose that skill trainers should give you some kind of bonus related to the skill instead of actual skill points, so that you don't feel a fool for actually getting the skill points yourself through the toil of XPing.

I Propose something along these lines:

A sword trainer can teach you special sword moves instead of you unlocking them yourself by reaching a 'point threshold'. I think it will also feel a lot less 'gamey', and a lot more fun for the player.. more immersive kindof.

And other trainers can give you boosts in their area of expertise.
Maybe a lockpicking trainer can make sure you never lose lockpicks or that you don't spring traps when lockpicking.
And a dodge trainer can give you a higher bonus to-hit after a dodged attack.
And a digeridoo trainer can teach you circular breathing. etc.

8: Bigger main cities with more to do in them!

It seemed like I'd only go to cities for the shops but never really had any real adventures there.
All the intrigue and diplomacy and whatever else you may expect.. Instead all but like 1 city quests drive you out of the city to the wilderness for completion.
In short I felt like the cities weren't used for the adventure but just to shop and they never really took off for me.

9) OK this is never going to happen but I felt like I missed it:
A PARTY!

Not because I've been brainwashed by RPGs that you need a party, but because combat is unsatisfying. It is completely completely reliant on stats and dice rolls. I'd like having a small party just so that combat feels tactical.
The only times I replay RPGS is when they have fun tactical combat.
Maybe in a different, future basilisk game :)

10) Enough of that 'DOOR CLOSES BEHIND YOU' stuff please.
I got it the first time, but by the 20th time a door shuts behind me for no apparent reason except a gamey 'pressure' reason I found that I just wasn't feeling what the design of the game intended for me to feel

11) Maybe draw distance can go a little further so that bows aren't just weird (wait, what, if something is more than 10 paces away from me, I can't hit it with a bow?).
Even without that, as I wrote, bows need expensive ammo that also weighs a lot and are generally crappy. their saving grace is that they need DEX and dex is also the prime ingredient in many other skills, so the bows points aren't such a horrible spend, but hopefully skill trainers will work as I outlined in book 3, meaning there's no way in hell I'd waste points in bow skill...
so something has to be adjusted I think.

love!

THANKS BASILISK, YOU'VE MADE MY WEEK WITH THIS AWSOME OLDSCHOOL GAME! :)
Last edited by Lightzy on November 14th, 2010, 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KarlXII
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: My Impressions of Book II and suggestions for Book III

Post by KarlXII »

Very sound points and suggestions for future games. I agree on most of them.

A few words of my own is in place...

1) Never let the game be any easier. There is nothing as bad as feeling no challenge at all (just take a look at the newly released Arcania: Gothic 4). I love it when the beginning is struggling for survival, when you pick your fights and are on the brink of starving. When you constantly have to prioritize where to spend your money (better equipment or buying a skill or....).

2) I played as a mage and felt it was a littel to easy later on to always be able to run away from fights, healing up/resting, and then continue where you were with enemies still wounded. Too easy also to go to another map to avoid a chase with monsters.

3) I hate Sci-Fi settings, so I accept the orakur story (it was quite good), but I hope not Book3 is only set in a Sci-Fi environment. That would take away my love for the medieval setting.

4) Uh...fix the change of walking speeds. Sometimes the speed is fast = no problems and sometimes very, very slow which makes it tedious.
Viktoras
Marshall

Post by Viktoras »

Lightzy wrote: 5) Maybe a bit less in-game cheating.
I mean, I don't mind that now, knowing the game, I can step in and have an infinite money machine using a character that I min-maxed at level 1 with hugely high wis/per or high forage/alchemy.
I don't mind this because I never replay an RPG unless driven to it by a ridiculously fun combat mechanic (well, it's not like I want to replay the story. what's the point).. like in darksun or fallout2

Hmm, guess I don't really care about suggestion 5 then.
Unless the game system is the same as Book II, in which case I'm afraid that through familiarity I'll have a super-powered character and that wont be fun.
I actually don't mind this part of the game that much nor do i see it as a cheat. I've tried doing it...after reading about it....but it takes soooo much patience and such to sit there making food/selling food repeat/rinse/repeat etc that i figure if someone wants to do that well...no biggie...personally....i got VERY tedious for me and i'd rather jump into the game. Hard one to fix too without making those skills nearly useless (from anything i can think of and admitedly i'm a bit of dunce so ....well there you have it).

Anyway just my two cents for what it's worth.
Never trust a grinning DM!!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

2) None of that 'must remove boots before travel, and boots/pants before lava' stuff!
That's just extra clicking without any consequences it seems. You should probably die just for travelling without boots. and huge damage from lava/ice without boots on.
I agree with this completely - the current equipment damage from fast travel/walking on lava is pointless. It's just punishing you for forgetting to un-equip the stuff. I'd personally like to see it removed completely, but your idea of alternate consequences if you DO un-equip stuff could also work.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

SpottedShroom wrote:
I agree with this completely - the current equipment damage from fast travel/walking on lava is pointless. It's just punishing you for forgetting to un-equip the stuff. I'd personally like to see it removed completely, but your idea of alternate consequences if you DO un-equip stuff could also work.
The lava stuff only annoys me when you're actually wearing "fireproof" boots and leggings. They should be immune from fire damage, that being the point of being fireproof.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Yeah, I agree with Kreador re: the lava thing. In regards to taking off footwear during quicktravel, I did at one point consider doing that, but quickly decided it just wasn't worth it. In my runthroughs, damage done to footwear from quicktravelling was rarely any worse than my overall damage done to equipment through combat, so I'd just get my footwear repaired along with everything else. Alternatively, a single point of Repair is generally enough to keep everything in tip-top condition.
Lightzy
Initiate

Post by Lightzy »

the boots thing is like the most minor :>

The most major is the trainer system.
I really hope they like my suggestions :>
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Lightzy wrote:The most major is the trainer system.
I really hope they like my suggestions :>
I do like the idea of having trainers providing other, non-skill-level-related bonuses to the player.

As I've said before elsewhere, though, I've never felt "cheated" by not using trainers optimally, or not even knowing about them on the first playthrough(s) of Books 1 and 2. My first playthroughs on both have always started out with points in Cartography, and I don't consider those points wasted, by any means (nor do I consider other Trainable skill points to have been wasted). I admit that I have played through a game or two where I've exploited what I know about trainers to advance levelwise more than I'd otherwise be able to, but I honestly have more fun if I just hop in and play. Certainly, I'm rather familiar with the trainers now, and I'm sure in the back of my mind I'm making allowances for their presence in the game, but I still just don't understand it when people say that they feel cheated by it.

If Eschalon were a multiplayer game of some sort, where there was direct competition between other people playing the game, I could understand a bit more, but since you're just playing against yourself, what's the problem? The fact that my character could have been more effective had I played him differently doesn't really bother me at all.

Anyway, just my two cents on this oft-recurring discussion. Clearly there are plenty of people who disagree with me, since it keeps getting brought up. :)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

KarlXII wrote:
(snip)

4) Uh...fix the change of walking speeds. Sometimes the speed is fast = no problems and sometimes very, very slow which makes it tedious.
There might be a reason that the walking speeds seem to vary - your computer. My previous computer (4+ years old) would almost crash when I was walking in a forest. The new one doesn't seem to have a problem.
Lightzy
Initiate

Post by Lightzy »

Ah, 2 more important balance corrections:

1) Dont give healer a wisdom based mana bonus.

All classes are equal, except the healer who gets an EXTRA bonus, so it makes much more sense to pick healer and then take totally different skills.
It'll be the same char, only with a lot more mana.

Either remove classes (as they don't seem to do anything really) or make them more specialized (and balanced)

Best nerf mages in total somehow, they're way too powerful from the get go and ridiculously powerful later on.

Magic skills should develop at much greater expense than other skills, so that mages will have much less total skill points available for misc. skills (not that they need them really, what with being able to make food, water, gold)

2) Repair skill!

Repair skill is ultra good, a must skill.

Rework repair so that it can only repair items to a certain level of integrity according to your skill level.
Total masters can repair items to 'perfect' status, but if youre not that good in repair, you can only patch items up to lower status.

This is good because item status already affects item functionality, so repair is still powerful, but now at a bigger skill point cost.

Of course, not that many changes need to be made if book 3 has timed objectives, not allowing you to rest forever whenever you like.
Then your 'unlimited' skills even out.
Cant just rest, create food/ingredients/xp(random spawns), repair to top condition, repeat as necessary.
Although I don't actually want this in... maybe a FEW timed objectives?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Lightzy wrote:Ah, 2 more important balance corrections:

1) Dont give healer a wisdom based mana bonus.

All classes are equal, except the healer who gets an EXTRA bonus, so it makes much more sense to pick healer and then take totally different skills.
It'll be the same char, only with a lot more mana.
I'm not sure what you mean by this "extra bonus" for Healers. If anything, Healers are relatively underpowered as compared to Mages. Why? Because whether you're a Mage or a Healer, your initial starting number of Mana Points is based on PER and INT - IOW, if you're a Healer, your starting number of MP is not based on your starting WIS. I always thought that was unfair.
Lightzy wrote:Best nerf mages in total somehow, they're way too powerful from the get go and ridiculously powerful later on.
I agree that Mages are too powerful in Book II, esp. as compared to Book I.
Lightzy wrote:2) Repair skill!

Rework repair so that it can only repair items to a certain level of integrity according to your skill level.
Total masters can repair items to 'perfect' status, but if you're not that good in repair, you can only patch items up to lower status.
I also agree that Repair is currently too powerful in Book II.

Your suggestion is a pretty good one. My suggestion for 'nerfing' Repair is that each Level in Repair would only allow you to fully repair one weapon/item in any 12 hour (or 24 hour) period - so with, Level=1 in Repair, you could repair one item overnight; with Level=2 in Repair, you could repair 2 items overnight, and so on.

But as currently implemented in Book II, all you ever need is one Level in Repair, and you are totally set, so it does need to be 'nerfed' a little somehow...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Total masters can repair items to 'perfect' status, but if youre not that good in repair, you can only patch items up to lower status.

This is good because item status already affects item functionality, so repair is still powerful, but now at a bigger skill point cost.
I think the better modification here combines with something I've discussed since Book I about Lore and identifying items. I think certain secondary skills (Lore, Foraging, Repair) should have combining factors with primary skills. Part of Sword skill should be the ability to keep your weapon in good condition, but it wouldn't be a lot of help in fixing axes and bows and so on. Allow Repair skill to repair anything, though I'd increase the time required per repair point, and add in a combining factor of the item-specific skill increasing the rate of repair for that type of item. Honestly, boredom from sitting around repairing everything all the time is its own limiting factor.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
smokemk3
Initiate

Post by smokemk3 »

Staffs for mages.(Mages are so awesome :) ) They are too powerfull maybe but they still need stafs, for looks and for bashing some angry enemies :mrgreen:
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

smokemk3 wrote:Staffs for mages.(Mages are so awesome :) ) They are too powerfull maybe but they still need stafs, for looks and for bashing some angry enemies :mrgreen:

And mage robes that have '+'s to them! We've got the pointy hat, why not arcane robes to go with it? :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
gackto
Pledge

Post by gackto »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:

I think the better modification here combines with something I've discussed since Book I about Lore and identifying items. I think certain secondary skills (Lore, Foraging, Repair) should have combining factors with primary skills. Part of Sword skill should be the ability to keep your weapon in good condition, but it wouldn't be a lot of help in fixing axes and bows and so on. Allow Repair skill to repair anything, though I'd increase the time required per repair point, and add in a combining factor of the item-specific skill increasing the rate of repair for that type of item. Honestly, boredom from sitting around repairing everything all the time is its own limiting factor.
In reality you could only repair something so many times before it looses its initial integrity as an item or it becomes something else entirely.
How about when repairing an item it can loose a percentage of its maximum achievable state. if this bugged you to much then have it as a selected "roleplay" aspect like having to eat food and drink water.
Or perhaps there can be sub skills within the repair skill its self, a repair skill tree if you like, because I can guarantee that the cobbler down the road from me wont be able to sow up my shirt button, nor repair the zip on my jacket!