@BasiliskWrangler: Story assume NPC is dead even if he isn't

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

@BasiliskWrangler: Story assume NPC is dead even if he isn't

Post by woem »

I love in Eschalon Book I and II that it is possible to create a Pacifist type of character that avoids combat. However the plot doesn't always take this option into account, counting on some NPCs to be dead at certain points in the story.

In Book I a good example is the final battle. It is possible to get to the portal without killing the boss. The lock behind him is supposed to be opened with his key, and it is protected from magical means to open it. However a high skilled lock picker can open it anyhow, without being detected. The story continues, assuming the boss is dead, although he isn't. (Example)

In Book II this happened again. I completed the first dungeon without killing the "lunatic", after which the protagonist reports to the priest that he dead, although he isn't.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: @BasiliskWrangler: Story assume NPC is dead even if he i

Post by CrazyBernie »

That's an example of a character lying and getting away with it. ^_^
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: @BasiliskWrangler: Story assume NPC is dead even if he i

Post by SpottedShroom »

woem wrote:In Book II this happened again. I completed the first dungeon without killing the "lunatic", after which the protagonist reports to the priest that he dead, although he isn't.
Really? Strange, I tried to finish that dungeon as a pacifist and was unable to complete the quest as long as the guy was still alive. I think I eventually completed it by getting him to chase after me, then leading him into fights with rats who eventually finished him off.