TES V: Off to a bad start?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

TES V: Off to a bad start?

Post by CrazyBernie »

On quests:
Quests are much more dynamic now.
The quests are now more determined by how you build your chracter, individual actions and overall much more dynamic. Examples provided: If you are more of a magic user, some other mage may approach you who may not have had if you were just a melee character. Or if you killed some dude who owned a store that was gonna give you a quest, his sister would inherit the store, but she may resent you before giving you the quest. Also, if you drop a weapon in the street instead of selling it, it may just dissapear, some kid may get it and give it back to you, which would lead to a series of stuff, or some dudes may fight over who gets it.
Also, it said that the quests you are given would be modified by how you have played (I guess like scaling the quests). For example, the location of a rescue mission would be determined by which location you have visited (it will try to give you a dungeon you haven't been in) and I guess also giving you appropiate enemies to your level.
Recap of GameInformer article: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418068
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: TES V: Off to a bad start?

Post by CrazyBernie »

More not-so-good news...

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsart ... chid=23466
there are only three attributes now: health, magicka, and stamina, reduced from the eight in Oblivion, the aim was to eliminate redundant stats like intelligence and willpower, which both affected magicka
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Yeah I read that too. While the preview videos and screens look terrific it seems like they are dumbing down TES yet again. They dumbed the skill & stat system down from Daggerfall to Morrowind, which was fine since the system in Daggerfall was way too unnecessarily complex and confusing. They dumbed it down a bit again from Morrowind to Oblivion, which was a bummer since I thought the system in Morrowind was just right. Now it seems like they're dumbing it down... excuse me, I'm sorry, I meant "streamlining it" yet again for Skyrim (and more drastically than the "streamlining" from Morrowind to Oblivion).

[rant]I'm so sick of all the games getting "streamlined". Stop the madness, stop f'n "streamlining" the games I used to love! If BW announces that he's going to "streamline" Book III I will break down and cry, then I'm going to kick a puppy.[/rant]
Will Pay For Cloth Map
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

CrazyBernie wrote:
there are only three attributes now: health, magicka, and stamina, reduced from the eight in Oblivion, the aim was to eliminate redundant stats like intelligence and willpower, which both affected magicka
Health, magicka and stamina?? Talk about redundant stats. Elder Scrolls VI will just have a row of hearts to cover all bodily functions under the category of "Life"... then the game will be perfect.
zelda.jpg
zelda.jpg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 5672 times
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
kdar1987
Initiate

Post by kdar1987 »

Thats what happens when a PC game moved on to console market, they have to make it simple for those guys.
supaflyryguy
Initiate

Post by supaflyryguy »

Unfortunately, "streamlining" sells. I'm going to hold my judgement on this one, but things aren't looking good so far. Hopefully, they'll make the world more interesting this time around. Cyrodill looked really generic and dull compared to Morrowind, so I'm curious to see what Bethesda does with this "new" world.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Health, magicka and stamina?? Talk about redundant stats. Elder Scrolls VI will just have a row of hearts to cover all bodily functions under the category of "Life"... then the game will be perfect.
Only if they add constantly regenerating health will it really be perfect. Or maybe add in some cover-based shooting, too. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Also, the main character should have a specific name, personality, backstory, and be fully voiced. You know, for a tighter narrative. And we should spend more time watching cutscenes then actually playing the game.

Then it would be perfect.