Early Game (?) Spoiler wanted

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
DTravel
Initiate

Early Game (?) Spoiler wanted

Post by DTravel »

I just got the game and have only been playing for a couple of hours (good work BTW). I'm trying to do the quest to recover "my" amulet from the crypt of Adler Keldam. I cleared the cemetary director's basement, got the dungeon key from him, found the cemetary and used the key to open the dungeon entrance, talked to the worker in there and have explored most (I think) of the dungeon. But I can't find the right crypt and there are a few doors I can't open, so I'm suspecting that I need to get thru one of them.

So my question is, where the bleep do I need to go and how do I get there?
salend
Apprentice

Post by salend »

The key to the inner area can be found west of the worker in an office. Most of the rooms over there have more than one door - at least one is unlocked. After you have the key, work the dungeon in a counter clockwise direction - no need to go back to the center.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thanks salend. I meant to respond to this and forgot!
DTravel
Initiate

Post by DTravel »

salend wrote:The key to the inner area can be found west of the worker in an office. Most of the rooms over there have more than one door - at least one is unlocked. After you have the key, work the dungeon in a counter clockwise direction - no need to go back to the center.
There are some offices west of the worker that can only be gotten to thru locked doors. Since I'm playing a ranger I don't have magic or lockpicking abilities and attempting to bash my way thru only succeeds in destroying my weapon. So they are effectively impossible to access.
Elixir
Initiate

Post by Elixir »

Not impossible, bash with your fists, camp, bash, camp.... just be ready to fight though.. This way of opening doors will get you a bit more experience from the encounters and you will eventually get through...
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

DTravel wrote:There are some offices west of the worker that can only be gotten to thru locked doors. Since I'm playing a ranger I don't have magic or lockpicking abilities and attempting to bash my way thru only succeeds in destroying my weapon. So they are effectively impossible to access.
I don't have magic or lockpicking either, if this is the room I am thinking, there is a VERY HARD to see door (which is unlocked) to the west side of the room.
citizendragon
Apprentice

Post by citizendragon »

DTravel wrote: Since I'm playing a ranger I don't have magic or lockpicking abilities and attempting to bash my way thru only succeeds in destroying my weapon. So they are effectively impossible to access.
Keep exploring....I'm pretty sure you are not required to have either lockpick or bash skills to get through this dungeon.

I always keep one save slot available that I label "enter crypt/dungeon"
right before I enter a dungeon....just in case. That way you can always start the dungeon fresh if you get confuddled and eliminate serious backtracking/frustration.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The key is in the office with the green checkerboard floor. There are two doors to the office, one is locked, the other is not.

Go to the "back" door, through the body preparation room.

In the game there isn't any locked doors to impede you path on the main quest that don't have keys.

There are plenty of keyless locked doors that might have goodies behind them though, even if they aren't part of the main quest.
Elixir
Initiate

Post by Elixir »

Yea, I was gonna say a key isn't necessary to complete the quest, the only doors that are locked are opened with switches.
DTravel
Initiate

Post by DTravel »

I've been thru the entire accessible part of the dungeon four times. If there is a second door in to that office it is inaccessible to me.
salend
Apprentice

walkthrough

Post by salend »

DTravel,

I'll try and step you through by memory. Highlight the text below with your mouse to read it - I changed the color as it is a significant spoiler for the map:

From the worker, exit his door to the south. That will put you in a passage like an upsidedown T. You do not need to go north, go west instead.

At the west point of the T there should be a gateway with a lever. Open the lever to open the door. There are two tough critters in there that you may not want to fight - either sneak past them or lure them back to the gateway and use the switch to kill them while they stand in the doorway.

Once through that gateway go straight North to the door. I will place you in the center room of three rooms. The door to the right is unlocked. Go in there and you will see a container next to two bookshelves.

Open the container to get the key. Walk back to the worker. From there walk counter clockwise around the dungeon. The first set of doors you come to (small room on left, large room on right) are not needed to finish the map - if you want to fight the critters in the room on the right there is a secret wall that will let you through to find a minor quest item.

Continue working your way counter clockwise. When you come across critters you dont want to fight, lure them back to the last gateway/lever you went through and smush them.

Once in the inner crypt you will find two undead. These guys are tough but slow. You don't have to fight them... run past them. Don't go out the emergency exit until you have the amulet.

DanS
DTravel
Initiate

Post by DTravel »

I can get to the corpse preparation room. If there is a door from it to the office, I can't find it. No door visible and moving the pointer along the walls doesn't highlite one.
salend
Apprentice

right place

Post by salend »

stand in the far right corner of that room (on the right side of the thrid row of tables). Hover the mouse over the bottom-right diagonal wall at mid-hight. It will highlight the door. You should be able to see where the hallway to the study connects to the room that you are in as well.
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

DTravel wrote:I can get to the corpse preparation room. If there is a door from it to the office, I can't find it. No door visible and moving the pointer along the walls doesn't highlite one.
Picture: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i45/J ... omDoor.jpg

See the door to the west by the Pointer.
citizendragon
Apprentice

Post by citizendragon »

DTravel wrote:I can get to the corpse preparation room. If there is a door from it to the office, I can't find it. No door visible and moving the pointer along the walls doesn't highlite one.

:idea: :? :?: :roll: :wink:

Seriously, if you still haven't sorted this out, Pm me and I'll give you explicit directions.