RPGs That Absolutely, Definitely, 100% Have To Be Made

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

RPGs That Absolutely, Definitely, 100% Have To Be Made

Post by sirdilznik »

Title is self-explanatory. Here are my suggestions:

1) A Firefly/Serenity RPG - This one's a no-brainer. Joss Whedon's "Verse" is the perfect setting for a RPG (franchise?). Seriously, the vast majority of RPGs take place in a traditional fantasy setting. Sure they all have their nuances, but basically they're mostly a standard Tolkien Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, and Goblins type settings. The rest are mostly a Sci-Fi setting with humans and a bunch of aliens fighting against an evil empire, or humans fighting against an alien onslaught hellbent to destroy them. What would you say to a Reverse Steampunk setting? To clarify a Steampunk setting is essentially Sci-Fi masquerading as a Western whereas Firefly is essentially a Western masquerading as Sci-Fi. Oh and throw some Asian culture and expletives into the mix. So basically you got spaceships + cowboys + samurai. This f'n needs to be made, now! Browncoats unite!

2) Earthbound 2 - Why in the world has this not happened yet? (I'm aware of Mother 3 BTW) A contemporary setting for an RPG with aliens and psychic powers? F*ck yes!!! I know the original Earthbound didn't sell well in the US (much better in Japan) but this concept is way too awesome not to revisit again. The first Earthbound was terrific, we need more.

3) Final Fantasy XV - ... ... ... ... ... ... Nah I'm just joshin! Square Enix milked the bejesus out of that once great franchise long ago. FF XIII was a movie followed by a super long corridor. It couldn't be more linear if it was a straight line drawn on a piece of paper and FF XIV... well the less said about that the better.

3) Star Wars: KOTOR 3 - I'm excited for Tales of the Old Republic even though I'm not into MMOs but regardless of the best intentions and the fact that this is freakin' Bioware we're talking about. BIOWARE! You can only make an MMO so story-driven. It's the nature of the beast. Once Bioware finishes SW:TOR and Mass Effect 3 they should do another proper KOTOR title with the kickass storytelling and attention to detail that Bioware is legendary for.

So do you have any titles that you feel ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO BE MADE?
Last edited by sirdilznik on February 4th, 2011, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: RPGs That Absolutely, Definitely, 100% Have To Be Made

Post by Randomizer »

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Sure you know the plot and the characters but just like Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy it doesn't mean you can't spend hours figuring out how to achieve the quests. It would be totally silly with no need to level up. You would be simply trying to figure out how to do quests without getting killed.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

@Randomizer - That actually sounds like a terrific game except I think it would work out much better as a point & click adventure than an RPG. In fact just thinking the name Monty Python & the Holy Grail screams "adventure game" at me. It would be freakin' hilarious though. "Oh Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. With which thou shall blast thy enemies to smithereens, in thy mercy..."
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

3) Final Fantasy XV - ... ... ... ... ... ... Nah I'm just joshin! Square Enix milked the bejesus out of that once great franchise long ago. FF XIII was a movie followed by a super long corridor. It couldn't be more linear if it was a straight line drawn on a piece of paper and FF XIV... well the less said about that the better.
Ha! I heard they're all ready working on 15. They promised it wouldn't be as linear as 13, but...we'll see.
Renevent
Initiate

Post by Renevent »

Arx Fatalis 2

Temple of Elemental Evil 2
AXS
Apprentice

Post by AXS »

Renevent wrote:Arx Fatalis 2

Temple of Elemental Evil 2

Yeah!! A brand new arx fatalis , I liked the first one, only disliked that you can only go up 10 levels, and that just about the final dungeon my game ALWAYS crashed i have never seen the ending!!
dalamar882
Pledge

Post by dalamar882 »

So I just played book 1 and flipped it. What a throw back with polish. I immediately joined the forum hoping someone from Basilisk would read this along with the other fans of Basilisk. I am planning on getting Book 2 and look forward to book 3. That said, I realize this topic is for games that must be made.

I have been fiending for a shadowrun/cyberpunk turnbased rpg for some time now. I have a ton of friends that have the same kinda vibe. I feel basilisk could be that developer that could make it happen. It would be something fresh and not overdone. I can't think of too many rpgs in this setting...well that are iso anyway. Just a thought.

*ninja edit* Something promising is a game called zion but still in dev.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

I think an interesting RPG would be one set in Revolutionary times.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

James' Joyce's Ulysses

Maldoror:Torment

Walser vs. Kafka : the Final Battle

Where in Siberia is Daniil Kharms?
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
dalamar882
Pledge

Post by dalamar882 »

I think the serenity idea could be an interesting take. You think they would do space flight similar to quick travel?

The revolutionary would a different spin...I would think firing a musket would have a two or three turn cool down?

Temple of elemental evil would need some tweaking. I ended up quiting that game. The fact the other party members would automatically take their cut of the loot was irritating.

Never played arx fatalis...
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

To take a slightly different turn: I've never been able to help thinking that if I were a filmmaker I'd want to make a film out of Geneforge 3.

Here're some sim games I do NOT want to see:

Moving Day
Apartment Search
Deal with the Neighbors
Landlord vs. Tenant : The Final Battle
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Tyranthraxus
Steward

Post by Tyranthraxus »

Can't help thinking there's an RPG based on "The Crystal Maze" just begging to be made. Side quests to find Starbuck The Cat, and Bert The Horse, rescue Mumsie from Ed Ten Pole Tudor's clutches? :D