General Linux Thread

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
blm14
Initiate

General Linux Thread

Post by blm14 »

Did a search and didn't find one.

I inherited a "new" (circa 2008 dell precision 690) machine and finally made the switch permanently to linux. I am still able to run windows games REASONABLE stably with VirtualBox, but I want to try and stick to native OpenGL based RPGs.

Can anyone suggest some nice turn based RPGs other than eschalon that will run in linux? I figure this thread can act like a general way to keep track of some good ones. :)
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: General Linux Thread

Post by sirdilznik »

Well you can play the majority of Windows games through wine, most of them with little or no hiccups, but if you're talking strictly native then:

Neverwinter Nights - It's not turn-based but it's a terrific D&D RPG. I've poured probably in the neighborhood of 700 hours+ into that game, its expansions, and the plethora of terrific community made campaigns and mods.

Exult - A front end for Ultima VII for modern systems, including Linux.

GemRB - An port of Bioware's Infinity Engine that runs on Linux and allows you to play the Infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, BG II, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, IWD II). Not yet feature complete but I think it will play Baldur's Gate and maybe BG II fairly well for the most part.

Freedroid RPG - Free game, haven't actually played it myself.

Dink Smallwood - Admittedly more Zelda-like than a true RPG, but it's free.

I'll post some more if I think of them.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
WorBlux
Apprentice

Re: General Linux Thread

Post by WorBlux »

Just about all the games of GOG.com run in WINE without a fuss. Just doublecheck the appdb first. The witcher 1 and 2 are the exceptions I've found so fare.

As to gemRB, it's nice if you have a different pc architecture (powerPC, ARM, Loongsoon) or want the extra UI features it includes for Baldurs Gate 2, otherwise WINE is a lot simpler to get it off and running.