Some advice please

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Aegondragan
Pledge

Some advice please

Post by Aegondragan »

Hello, I'm enjoying playing Eschalon but there are a few things that are limiting my progress in this game, I don't see if I'm doing anything wrong so maybe you can point some things out.

Character lvl 10

9 divinations
8 lore with ring +2
10 swords
7 heavy armor
3 cartography

29 str
20 dex
20 end
15 wis
10 per
18 con
15 int

My problems are concerning going anywhere without running back to town either diseased or poisoned or broken equipment im constantly out of food and cannot afford to buy more.
( until lvl 9 no merchant sold waterskins making exploring not viable for me, i found waterskins today now i have 3)

After killing 2 monsters I need to camp to regain mana and health then 4 more creatures spawn so i am off to town again.

Also I do not understand what heavy armor is giving me for advantages? there seems to be no or hardly any damage reduction and the prices to repair are RIDICULOUS I am running around with no armor since it breaks after couple of monsters and all my money is spent for food and repairing my sword.

What am I doing wrong :(
I am willing to reroll pref Heavy Armor Melee Divinations lad.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Have a nice day

Aegon
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Some advice please

Post by Dragonlady »

Looks like your trying for a Paladin type character. If you have Divination skill you should be able to cast "Create Food" and have no problem with food forever after. You also don't have to pump up "Lore" skill because you can cast "Lore" spell (if you find or buy it" at your level.

Dump the tank armour and go for Light Armour. Or cast "Stoneskin" Divination spell. You need to up Wisdom and Perception. Perception helps with other things besides lots of mana points. You should be able to cast Cure Poison spell. Find Someone who will teach you "Foraging" skill. That will help in camping, not to mention finding herbs to sell or use with Alchemy skill.

There is a "Repair" skill but it takes a while to find a trainer. Best bet is to turn off that option when you start a new game. If you want to not worry about repairs and eating/drinking turn both off at start of game. As for waterskins, I only carried 2 at the max. and always filled them to the brim when in any place with a well. There are a few places in the wilderness that have cabin with well or a destroyed area with well you can safely get water from. The other alternative is to get a couple of levels of Elemental and the spell "Create Water". That fills your skins when away from wells. At low level you might have to cast it several times.

Buy mana potions so you don't have to camp so often, or get alchemy skill from book/trainer and make your own.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Others will help too.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

For your first play through, I'd focus on either Divination or Swords, but not both. You also don't need more than one rank of Heavy Armor, and you can use a spell in place of the Lore skill. If you go Divination, concentrate your Ability points in Perception for more MP. With Swords, go with Endurance for more HP.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

1 skill point in Heavy Armour is okay, to get rid of the unskilled penalty, but investing more in this is a relative waste.

Perhaps your starting dice roll was a bit on the low side. You get points for attributes varying from 7 - 14, depending on a dice, plus you can add some points to that yourself at setup.
Some people roll for a minute until they get a really good roll. Looking at your attribute points, perhaps you have settled for a kind of average roll.

Eschalon is also a game where you should always avoid attacking more than one enemy at a time. Use the terrain, try to seperate your enemies.

Considering your character development, I'm expecting you to soften up your enemies first with Flesh Boil, then your first melee strike will be Masterful Riposte, and that should be the job half done against most enemies. Fighting for your character shouldn't be constant exposure.

I'm not in the club that favours Light Armour above Heavy Armour. For the early game certainly light is better, but in my opinion there is a point that especially the higher durability of Heavy Armour starts to tip the balance. Assuming you have a character who can carry the weight, of course.

And playing a character that has Swords and Divination would be my favourite pick, I see nothing wrong with that. It's not the best character, I suppose, but you can be fine with that.

The food and water spells are somewhat game breaking in my view. If you like to play with food and water on, it's best to ignore those spells.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

If you choose to focus more on divination, then investing skill points in Meditation is a must. I've found it significantly boosts the mana regeneration rate. You can get Meditation and Perception up high enough that you can cast a level 6 spell and recover the mana points in just a few turns. It also helps to use a Fortify Mana potion right before battle, as that stretches out your mana points.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

MyGameCompany wrote:If you choose to focus more on divination, then investing skill points in Meditation is a must. I've found it significantly boosts the mana regeneration rate. You can get Meditation and Perception up high enough that you can cast a level 6 spell and recover the mana points in just a few turns. It also helps to use a Fortify Mana potion right before battle, as that stretches out your mana points.
PER=40 gets you the same "bang for your buck" in terms of Mana Regeneration as PER=30+Meditation=10 (I believe).

And as Skill points are more "valuable" than Attribute points, you're generally better off pumping PER up to PER=40, and saving the 10 'Skill points' for something other than Meditation (e.g. pumping those 10 Skill points in to Divination Magick).

Additionally, having PER=40 will net you 2 additional MPs on each Level-Up than PER=30+Meditation=10 will.

This is the main reason why most of us around here think that putting points into Meditation is a waste (and why some of us would like to see Meditation included in the 'spell cap limit' calculation, to add a secondary benefit to putting points into Meditation...).
Last edited by IJBall on January 17th, 2012, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Hm. I hadn't realized that.

One benefit, though, of increasing both Perception and Meditation in the early levels of character development is that you can get to that higher regen rate faster in the game than if you just focused on Perception. Might help if you're strictly a mage and don't have any backup weapon skills.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The best thing you can do for Mana regeneration is run away. The extra bit from Meditation isn't as useful as putting skill points to a skill or saving them until after training.
NathanEschalon
Apprentice

Post by NathanEschalon »

Aegondragan wrote: Character lvl 10

9 divinations
8 lore with ring +2
10 swords
7 heavy armor
3 cartography

29 str
20 dex
20 end
15 wis
10 per
18 con
15 int
Aegon
I have many suggestions and I agree with much of what's been said already! But before you read all my dribble (very long but worth the read I promise), check out the links in Strategy Central, they may provide you with all the information you're looking for,
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3299

1) Lets start with your stats. Str is important for melee folks but End is by far the most important stat (Perception is most important for magic only classes). When I create a melee build I make sure I have at least 15 Str but then it's all End until I reach 40 for that magical 1 HP every round regeneration rate. Plus getting 12 HPs every level is a life saver. End also increases ALL of your resistances (magic, disease, poison, etc). Seriously, End is key for melee.

2) Speed should always be ignored. Str or Dex are superior in every way. You can safely ignore Concentration too unless you're playing a Rogue/Bow class.

3) Since you're playing with Divination, you'll want to spend a few points in Perception as this will improve your MP/level and your MP regen rate (no higher than 20 for melee build). You'll also need points in Wis to learn spells (you've got 15 now and with additional +wis gear, you shouldn't need any more than that for the rest of the game). You can safely ignore Int unless you plan to also take Elemental Magic (not necessary for melee/divination build). If you haven't read the thread on how Stats affect your build you should read up on it (see link to Strategy Central)

4) For Skills, my first play through was a sword/divination build as well. I liked it a lot (plenty of fun swords to find). Bludgeon is the better weapon though as it bashes doors/chests better and Devastating Blow is a marvelous weapon feat. With Sword at only 10 by level 10, this is definitely what's holding you back. My melee builds get their primary weapon to level 10 by level 2. My goal is to achieve level 32 primary weapon skill as quickly as possible to allow for the weapon feat every 4 rounds. This is your bread and butter for taking down foes.

5) So, where do we get all these points for your weapon skill? First, you never need more than 1 point in lore, maybe not even that (your Divination skill should allow you to cast Lore to id any object in the game). You can always don one or two +2 Lore rings for item identification too.

6) Second, you never officially need more than 1 point in heavy or light armor. I prefer Light armor as the difference in protection is fairly minimal but the weight saving is dramatic compared to Heavy armor. Putting more points into armor helps reduce wear, but with just 1 point in Repair, wear becomes just another few rounds of camping (I take 1 point of Repair at character creation for my melee builds, but you can also find/buy a pair of +2 repair gloves and don them when camping. Never ever pay for repair services!) Technically Damage Reduction increases with more armor skill too, but DR is generally considered a waste (see threads on DR for more info).

7) If you recouped 6 points from heavy armor and 8 points from lore and added that 14 points to your sword skill, you'd be up to 24 swords! Considering you get +1 hit and +1 damage with every 2 points of weapon skill you're talking +7 hit and +7 damage with every swing. You're also much closer to that magical 32 weapon skill for your weapon feat every 4 rounds. This would greatly improve your ability to quickly defeat monsters. A good offense trumps defense every time (I took an armor-less and weapon-less build, using unarmed skill, through completion with little trouble).

8) To address your other concerns, you have Divination which means you never need to worry about food again once you buy/find Create Food. You can also learn Detox to defeat poison (also available through Alchemy but more on that later). Other crucial spells in Divination will be Bless (+1 hit/dam at each casting level, with Div 9 now I think you can cast level 6 bless, this is HUGE boost to your offense), Cat's Eyes (fight in the dark to make it harder for your enemies to hit you but you suffer no penalty), Stoneskin (+10 armor), and possibly buffs like Haste/Ogre Strength as well as Cure Ailments for curing diseases (also available through Alchemy). Your Wis/2 determines the max number of Div spells you can learn, but you can wear +Wis items to temporarily boost your stat to learn a spell and then remove the gear when casting (No Wis check is performed when casting a Div spell).

9) The Alchemy/Foraging combination is very powerful. Trainers are available for both of them and with books they can each reach level 10 with no skill points from you (just add money). With Foraging, every time you camp you make money by finding reagents (don't forget to wear your two +2 foraging rings when you camp and a +2 Mercantile hat helps when selling). Pair that with Alchemy and you essentially have a never ending supply of Detox potions, Health/Mana potions, Str and Dex buffs, etc. Plus, with a few extra points added by you, Alchemy turns into a game-changing skill, the ability to permanently enchant armor and weapons. With training, books and a pair of +2 Alchemy rings you're at 14. That's enough for +2 hit/damage/fire/ice/poison enchants, +2 harden armor, top tier mana/health potions, Invisibility II, Demon Oil III, etc. At 22 you've reached Valhalla with +3 armor/weapon enchants. Yum.

10) Other random tidbits, fighting in Power mode is the only way to go. More damage = Faster kills. This requires heavy points in your main weapon in order to overcome the To Hit penalty. Time engagements to occur only when your feat is charged (weapon feats never miss).

11) Take your boots off before you fast travel and take both leggings and boots off before stepping in lava. Much less wear on these items that way.

12) keep a ranged weapon (like bow/arrows or thrown weapon) around, even if you aren't trained in them, to trigger trapped doors/chests instead of using your face.

13) Run away! Letting monsters gang up on you is a quick way to die. Take them one at a time (or even run in circles for a few rounds) to let your HP regenerate (esp if you've pumped End to 40) and your weapon feat recycle.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Heh, guess that's a mouthful anyway!! Have fun!!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I need some advice. I am using a bow for my ranger character and i seem to have found that there is point blant shot at close range. Can someone tell me, what are the benefits to that?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

deathknight1728 wrote:I need some advice. I am using a bow for my ranger character and i seem to have found that there is point blant shot at close range. Can someone tell me, what are the benefits to that?
It's a penalty, not a benefit. There is a penalty for using a ranged weapon at close range.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Aegondragan
Pledge

Post by Aegondragan »

I want to thank everyone for their; advice, tips and hint! greatly appreciated everyone! I'm amazed by the nice feedback on this forum!

I am still continuing my epic quest with my current character even though he is far from optimal and it's quite a challenge in progressing in the game but this adds to my enjoyment playing the game, i'm just going to try to finish it with my first character and then re-play it later!

Currently added repair and foraging which help amazingly, I've got nearly all the nice divination skills and they help me greatly! I think I'm going to pump my sword skill and end/perception until my character doesn't feel so broken! haha.

Also is it possible to cast spells while holding a sword/shield? Though I guess it would require a lot of strength?

( Defeated the stone golem dude with like 50 quicksave loads and searching for alot of tnt barrels i finally managed to do it and it felt like an achievement! haha. you can kill a boss using the terrain surroundings and his AI to outsmart him and rape him, very enjoying game with lots of posibilities! )
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The requirement for casting a spell while holding things is that the total weight of weapon, shield, and gloves is no more than one sixth of your total encumberance determined by strength. This why spell casters should use lighter swords rather than heavy bludgeoning weapons.