This place has made my day!

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
The Harpo Marxist
Apprentice

This place has made my day!

Post by The Harpo Marxist »

Hello Basilisk Games!

I imagine you must hear this a lot, but I've been dying for a good old school RPG and it looks like I've finally found some people who still make them like they used to!

I've recently been going through an old school games kick... I'm a playwright, and my last two plays were both based on classic era games. (For example, one play I wrote was in the style of an old Sierra Adventure game - the "hero" moved around onstage saying things like "Look at man" or "Pick up [object.]" All of the other characters had limited dialogue, etc.) During the run, I was shocked to discover how many people not only vaguely remembered those games, but were really into them. Heck, that play even got published - something I'd never been able to get to happen before!

At any rate, It got me to thinking about other games I used to enjoy in my youth... Ultima V, Might and Magic, Wizardry... Thinking about all of those older RPGs left me a bit nostaligic, and a little sad. I felt like I had an itch I could no longer really scratch... Until I discovered this forum, and the existence of these games!

I'm extremely excited to play Eschalon, and I basically wanted to generally thank whoever is behind the existence of this place! And to say hello.

Hello!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: This place has made my day!

Post by Dragonlady »

Welcome aboard. You'll find lots of folks here love RPGs and the old style games.
Which of the two books have you tried first?
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
The Harpo Marxist
Apprentice

I haven't tried either yet - I just found this place! I'm hoping I get a chance to download one or both of them tonight, or at least this weekend. They look pretty amazing.
The Harpo Marxist
Apprentice

Possibly dumb question - I have a new Macbook as my computer - I imagine this should be able to run Book I and II with no hitch, yeah? (I'm not terribly tech savvy -as this question makes abundantly clear.)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Oh sure. Both games run Mac OS as well as Windows. I recommend starting with Book I. As a playwright you will probably really appreciate the fact that there is a storyline that progresses.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Both run perfectly fine on MacBooks, though there are reports of some weird graphic issues occasionally with Book I. If you experience any problems, you can ask a question in the appropriate tech support forums below and any number of folks here will do their best to help you.

Welcome and enjoy your stay. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
The Harpo Marxist
Apprentice

Thanks everyone! I downloaded Book II last night and got a cursory look at everything and it seems pretty amazing to me! It is comforting to see a game that has a bunch of build options with some real depth / variety.

I might go ahead and get book one as well, especially if the story is as good as indicated by everyone here!
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Welcome!

You can definitely jump into Book II without having played Book I first. But I personally played Book I first, and I think it gave me a greater appreciation for Book II. Book II has some references to past events that won't be as meaningful to you if you haven't played Book I. Then again, the graphics are certainly better in Book II... :)
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland