Do Stats stop giving returns at a certain numerical value?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
sapientCrow
Steward

Do Stats stop giving returns at a certain numerical value?

Post by sapientCrow »

I am trying to understand why I should bother with anything but dex for my rogue. Speed compliments piercing but dex does bows and piercing and they both do armor.
So can someone give me the lowdown on how the math works here?

thanks
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Do Stats stop giving returns at a certain numerical valu

Post by SpottedShroom »

Check out http://eschalon.wikia.com/wiki/Ability_Scores. In short, you can pump any stat as high as you want and it will continue giving benefits.

In my opinion, Endurance (for max HP and HP regeneration) and Perception (for max MP and MP regeneration) are the best two places to spend points. Strength is helpful for carrying more stuff, and you obviously need Intelligence and/or Wisdom to be able to use your MP. I'm not a big fan of increasing Dex, Speed, or Concentration.

You're also probably better off picking a single combat skill to focus on rather than trying to balance piercing and bows.
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

thanks...
I just never quite understood a lot of the stats in general since they return similar values but some have added benefit so why would anything be put into others that do not have the added benefit such as speed.

I wonder if there is hidden formula or if there ever will be. Be interesting to see things such as multiple chances on trap disarm or special lock pick success attempt or a unique/special avoidance during battle based on the other stats that seem somewhat irrelevant.

Thank you for the stat link.
I see that the info on int and wisdom is incorrect as I believe it is 25 for highest level spells not 42. I changed it.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

sapientCrow wrote:I see that the info on int and wisdom is incorrect as I believe it is 25 for highest level spells not 42. I changed it.
25 is needed to be able to learn the highest level spells, absent knowing any other spells. However, you can only learn a number of spells equal to 1/2 of the stat for that spell category. 25 Int would only allow you to learn a total of 13 Elemental spells. As there are 21 Elemental spells, you would need an Int of 41 (rounding up) inclusive of natural and bonus from equipment to learn all the spells. There are 23 Divination spells, so you would need 45 Wis to learn them all.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

So it rounds up to the next even number when calculating?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

In the case of number of spells, I believe it does. It's been a while since I've actively checked that stuff, though.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

thanks for the help.

I missed the part on wikia about all spells rather than highest ones so I adjusted it again but did so without the rounding since I haven't tested it yet.