This is How You Know When the World's Going Down

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

This is How You Know When the World's Going Down

Post by deathknight1728 »

This might be a sign from the times and maybe its just me, but I highly doubt that. I go onto to see the news that is happening in the world on the internet, and Hurricane Isaac is on the last page, while Snooki's 1st born is on the 1st page.

This is pretty sad and I know that gossip has taken over media but it seems like the only news that is highly popularized is ridiculous negative news and gossip stuff to see which girl is more attractive.

What do I say to that? What about the stories that used to come on the news that had some man or woman acting as a hero. I liked a lot of those stories and even though they were few a few years ago, few is better than none.

The only news that happens almost all the time is negative sociopaths that appear in shootings. Its really a disgrace.

Aw well, I should think on the better side. Someone in my family just mentioned that one of their friends found a site that only lists positive news and people. Thats what I gotta go find out!
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: This is How You Know When the World's Going Down

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Most news sites are commercial ventures, so they lead with what will bring them the most views, and therefor the most revenue. Salaciousness and violence are the top two things people will click through to read. Just as they're the top two things people would pay for a magazine or newspaper to read before the Internet. "If it bleeds, it leads," did not become a cliche because it's unprofitable. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Most news sites are commercial ventures, so they lead with what will bring them the most views, and therefor the most revenue. Salaciousness and violence are the top two things people will click through to read. Just as they're the top two things people would pay for a magazine or newspaper to read before the Internet. "If it bleeds, it leads," did not become a cliche because it's unprofitable. :)
I would say that your 100% right but the only problem is in order to get the real news you have to sift through the garbage. There might be some hope though. My brother told me he just found a website that only reports good news and he said it was legitimate. He did say however, they usually only report 3-4 times a week unlike regular news which is 5 times a day. Still, sounds promising.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

It gets worse with the "celebrity" magazines like People where news stand sales increase with the "celebrity" on the cover. Princess Diana or Jennifer Aniston were always good for +20 to +50% increase over average sales per week.

Using the Internet version of a news source does allow you to filter out some of this junk news, but you run the risk of filtering out important news that you might not normally hear about.