Who's the Ultimate Fighter in Eschalon?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Who's the Ultimate Fighter in Eschalon?

Post by SpottedShroom »

blatherbeard wrote:Trying to finish the game so i can feel good about buying III, but getting hammered even with pretty high stats in heavy armor, having pretty good heavy armor on, and high str and bludgeoning stats.
The heavy armor skill is not generally useful after a single rank to avoid the untrained penalty. It doesn't decrease your chance of being hit, it just gives you a chance of taking half damage. For a typical successful melee fighter, you want to put A LOT of points into your weapon skill (best defense is a good offense) and endurance (higher max HP, faster HP regeneration).
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

~rise RISE oh great thread~

sorry practicing necromancy again. :P

Wouldn't you also get a very high avoidance of being hit by having a very high dex or spd. I don't remember which. Thus an unarmed fighter with high str and spd would be a pretty goog jugernaught. IF I am right that str/spd (all other weapons) does apply to unarmed skill.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Necromis wrote: Wouldn't you also get a very high avoidance of being hit by having a very high dex or spd. I don't remember which. Thus an unarmed fighter with high str and spd would be a pretty goog jugernaught. IF I am right that str/spd (all other weapons) does apply to unarmed skill.
It's +1 armor for every 5 points of Dexterity or Speed. Speed also boosts melee damage, so that would be the way to go for an unarmed fighter. I'd still argue that Endurance is a better investment, though. Having a bazillion hit points and 1 HP/turn regeneration is very good, and you get it at lower Endurance than you'd get an equally good effect from Speed.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I raised speed to 60 on my Eschalon Book 1 character. It was the only character I beat the game with but it was fun. He was naturally a high damage dealer but you need to boost weapon skill every lvl by at least 2 points to maintain a decent to hit score. I ended up with 35 max damage per hit but thats not nearly enough as if I waited another 2 or 3 levels.

The best damage dealers are dexterity based ones in book 2 as dex provides to hit, armor, and damage every 5 lvls for your dagger/spears.

The problem with speed and strength builds is that you dont receive to hit chance which means you deal less damage than those that invest in dexterity. This only changes once you get to a high lvl of your feat for your weapon. But the games over by then.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

deathknight1728 wrote: The problem with speed and strength builds is that you dont receive to hit chance which means you deal less damage than those that invest in dexterity. This only changes once you get to a high lvl of your feat for your weapon. But the games over by then.
Pretty much the first thing I do is level weapon skill to the maximum feat recharge point :)