Might and Magic: Is it back?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Might and Magic: Is it back?

Post by Sslaxx »

http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/03/m ... easer.html

If this is truly a return of the main line, well... colour me very interested!
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
auryx
Pledge

Re: Might and Magic: Is it back?

Post by auryx »

Agreed! The Ubisoft M&M portal site currently says:

Some of you have already noticed that a wierd page made its apparition on the Might & Magic portal http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/universe/en-GB/x.aspx. Rumors are running that...

Stay tuned and learn what it means at PAX EAST.

So there's definitely going to be something happening. Will wait and see! Interesting that the link is to an en-GB site, too.

auryx
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Very interesting. I have a very good friend there who won't tell me anything about it. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

There's some brief glimpses of gameplay in this trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 5r6M8ElBXY

Definitely old school looking. Also, turn-based confirmed.
:)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Any idea if you can save anywhere? That's one thing I really hated about M&M way back when. You had to be in an inn to save. No thought to people who have lives and children and interruptions. :x :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Dragonlady wrote:Any idea if you can save anywhere? That's one thing I really hated about M&M way back when. You had to be in an inn to save. No thought to people who have lives and children and interruptions. :x :lol:
Really? Certainly from World of Xeen onwards you can save anywhere you please.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Sslaxx wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:Any idea if you can save anywhere? That's one thing I really hated about M&M way back when. You had to be in an inn to save. No thought to people who have lives and children and interruptions. :x :lol:
Really? Certainly from World of Xeen onwards you can save anywhere you please.
Humm..may be getting old. :) I might have mixed it up with Bards Tale. I last played M&M1 & 2 years ago..back when we had a C64 computer and you had to use actual graph paper to try and find your way around the game world. Late 1980's???
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Dragonlady wrote:Humm..may be getting old. :) I might have mixed it up with Bards Tale. I last played M&M1 & 2 years ago..back when we had a C64 computer and you had to use actual graph paper to try and find your way around the game world. Late 1980's???
Aah, graph paper mapping, those were the days. Back in my day, we didn't have fancy automaps and giant green arrows pointing you toward your quest goals. Back in those days you used a graph paper map you drew yourself while walking to and from locations, uphill both ways, and you liked it.

/chases youngsters off porch with broom handle
:P
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

No automapping feels like a small thing after one has experienced Ultima. Writing stuff down that's written in a very unintelligible font. I wonder why no one does that anymore. :roll:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Lord_P wrote:No automapping feels like a small thing after one has experienced Ultima. Writing stuff down that's written in a very unintelligible font. I wonder why no one does that anymore. :roll:
I think because everyone figured out that pencil-and-graphpaper mapping didn't really add to the "enjoyment" of these games (for most people).

Let's face it: Pencil-and-graphpaper mapping wasn't a "feature" of those games - it was a low-tech necessity. :shock:

I really think the way BW handles this is the best: if you want some kind of Automap, you just get yourself Cartography; but if you want to go "way old-School!", you skip Cartography, and get out your pencil & paper. Both camps are happy. :)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

IJBall wrote:I really think the way BW handles this is the best: if you want some kind of Automap, you just get yourself Cartography; but if you want to go "way old-School!", you skip Cartography, and get out your pencil & paper. Both camps are happy. :)
Or you go old-skool crazy, like me, and keep the whole thing in your head as best you can. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
IJBall wrote:I really think the way BW handles this is the best: if you want some kind of Automap, you just get yourself Cartography; but if you want to go "way old-School!", you skip Cartography, and get out your pencil & paper. Both camps are happy. :)
Or you go old-skool crazy, like me, and keep the whole thing in your head as best you can. ;-)
Or you fall to the usual problem: not keeping things in your head. The reason I had to start Ultima VII over. :lol:
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

and if I keep things in my head that leaves little room for the voices in my head and they don't like that. NOOOOO they don't like that at all. It makes them nervous. :mrgreen: :roll: :shock:
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

I'm actually playing MM2 currently as a side game. Its a lot of fun, I have to admit. I'd love to see a new "back to traditions" MM game instead of this Heroes series. I love heroes of might and magic 3 though. Seriously, its one of the best games I've played in the past 20 years.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I like what Grimrock did with automaping. It was a very simple automap made to look like graph paper, for that nostalgia feeling.
Will Pay For Cloth Map