Neverwinter

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Neverwinter

Post by sirdilznik »

I almost named this thread "I Can't Believe I'm Playing A MMO And Really Enjoying It".
:lol:

Anyway, the Neverwinter Open Beta is here. What is Neverwinter? It's a D&D F2P MMO from Cryptic set in the Forgotten Realms based around the city of, you guessed it, Neverwinter. At the moment they have all the races you'd expect playable: Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, plus Half-Orc (heck yeah!), Drow, and Tiefling, with more races to be revealed later. There are currently five classes playable: Great Weapon Fighter (2-handers), Guardian Fighter (sword & board), Cleric, Trickster Rogue, and Control Wizard, with more classes to be added in the future.

The combat is really fun. To me, it doesn't really play like a typical MMO, but more like an aRPG. You actually have to hit your target (and vice versa) to do damage. Movement on the battlefield is encouraged to dodge AoE attacks and charge up attacks. It's pretty engaging.

Quests do boil down to the usual go through this instance, kill X monsters, fetch this, but the game does a good job of dressing them up so they don't seem that generic and they fit into a cohesive story.

Graphics are pretty nice and there is full voice acting for quest givers, so far anyway.

I'm playing a female half-orc (because orcs are awesome) great weapon fighter named Murzush Gro Ruhm, currently at level 10, and having a blast. So far the game seems very solo-able. There are events and quests specifically for groups, but the vast majority of the content I've seen is quite doable solo. There are also community made adventures that folks can make and add to the game so others can play. It's free to download and play and of course there are microtransactions. I haven't seen the need to purchase any so far, but if I continue to have such a great time in this game I may buy some, or an expansion to the game or something just because I'll feel obligated to support the developers of the game at least to some degree.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Re: Neverwinter

Post by llew silverhand »

I sometimes forget I know you from the GD forums, too ;)

I'm also on the Mindflayer shard, Arten Melgarson, Half-Elven Trickster
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

llew silverhand wrote:I sometimes forget I know you from the GD forums, too ;)

I'm also on the Mindflayer shard, Arten Melgarson, Half-Elven Trickster
Haha, yeah. I'm looking forward to bumping into you in the game in the Mindflayer shard. We'll have to go grab a pint in the driftwood tavern.
:D

Edit: Here is Murzush doing push-ups inside of Driftwood Tavern. Gotta stay in shape. :wink: :lol:

Stretching (don't want to pull a muscle):

Will Pay For Cloth Map
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

From what I've seen of Neverwinter it looks like a wow clone with dnd wrapping paper. Unless 4th edition rules are just THAT different from the 2nd edition I am used to. In which case I apologize for calling this a game that doesn't feel like dnd.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

leshpar wrote:From what I've seen of Neverwinter it looks like a wow clone with dnd wrapping paper. Unless 4th edition rules are just THAT different from the 2nd edition I am used to. In which case I apologize for calling this a game that doesn't feel like dnd.
4E itself is a WoW clone with D&D wrapping paper.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

leshpar wrote:From what I've seen of Neverwinter it looks like a wow clone with dnd wrapping paper. Unless 4th edition rules are just THAT different from the 2nd edition I am used to. In which case I apologize for calling this a game that doesn't feel like dnd.
The game is extremely loosely based on D&D 4E. They have a few terms here and there, likely to satisfy WotC, and the setting and bestiary is Forgotten Realms, but for the most part the game rules are nothing at all like P&P D&D. I consider that a definite positive, as P&P D&D is a terrible system for video games, particularly games like MMOs where you will be constantly fighting hundreds of enemies per hour. Don't get me wrong, D&D is great on a table top, but it doesn't work well for a video game.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I WAS playing this but some asshat somehow broke into my account and got my PWI account banned.

Still scratching my head how it happened, its definitely not on my end. (as definite as anyone can be anyways.

and yeah, ive been gone because, believe it or not, i "lost" the website LOL
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.