Forums back, reformat?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Forums back, reformat?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Great to see the forums back online. Even if I don't post every day, I check in regularly, and not having them has really felt weird. I'm hoping, Thomas, that you can get the old style back, or something other than this "basic blue bland." It really doesn't feel homey right now. ;-)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Forums back, reformat?

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Everyone should use the "Prosilver Special Edition" style. It should be the new default, but if not you can change your style in the User Control Panel.

It has a narrow format similar to the old style, and I should be able to get the colors altered. It is also an "official" style, so it will remain up-to-date with forum changes.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

I'm not seeing a selection to adjust the board style in the User Control Panel, so I guess I'll get used to this. :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I'm not seeing a selection to adjust the board style in the User Control Panel, so I guess I'll get used to this. :)
It's under the "Board Preferences" tab. Try this link:

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/ucp.php?i=165

And actually, I just forced Prosilver Special Edition on everyone, so you should have it now. But I don't have a lot of faith in phpBB software, so it's all a crap shoot.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Not a lot of activity...

...we've either lost some regulars who migrated to a different forum, or we have some account issues preventing users from getting in.

Can we get a check in from some regulars? Is everyone seeing the style "prosilver Special Edition"? It should be the default (grayish background, narrow column format, not quite as bright as the normal prosilver style)?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I'm not seeing a selection to adjust the board style in the User Control Panel, so I guess I'll get used to this. :)
It's under the "Board Preferences" tab. Try this link:

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/ucp.php?i=165

And actually, I just forced Prosilver Special Edition on everyone, so you should have it now. But I don't have a lot of faith in phpBB software, so it's all a crap shoot.
Yep, I went to that page. There's no option to alter the look of the board, probably because you have it set to force this look on everyone. No worries.

I expect a few more regulars will reappear. Not everyone probably saw the post on Facebook or Twitter that the forums were working again.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Yeah, I'm still around.

Like Kreador, I no longer see an option to change the Forum display "style", though it's not a big deal.

I'll do some more poking around to see if I can figure what posts (if any) we lost with the crash and boot-to-backup-copy...

Edit: Oh, and I did have to re-log in, so I'm guessing some of the regulars don't realize the forum is back yet, and so haven't re-logged in yet...

P.S. Any chance we can now get a 'crossthrough' text option with this new version of the forums style... :wink:
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I just logged in and am really glad the forums are back up. Can't say much for the current format though - it feels awfully stripped down and barren.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

AFAICT, I think we may have lost some posts on the "Role-Playing Games" board (I could swear there were posts there after blatherbeard's July 17 posting...), and maybe a few from this very "General Chat" board, with the forums crash/reboot.

But I'm not noticing any mid- to late-July posts missing from any other board on this forum... FWIW.

Edit: One other thing: unless I'm missing something, I don't see a link back to the main Basilisk Games webpage - it would be great if we could have a direct link back to the main BG page prominently displayed at the top of the main forums page.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

IJBall wrote:P.S. Any chance we can now get a 'crossthrough' text option with this new version of the forums style... :wink:
Not without modding the forum code. I'm a bit gun-shy on that.

Eventually we will upgrade to something better. Probably vBulletin, and I would bet they support more text options. Now that we got this up and running, we can look into what it would take to convert these forums over to vBulletin.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:It appears that I cannot edit my signature.
Try now. Permissions were not restored.

What about everyone else? I might need to reset the whole board...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I've just tried, nothing new in the User Control Panel. Logged in and out just to make sure.
So you don't see this:
sample.jpg
sample.jpg (214.17 KiB) Viewed 8896 times
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Okay, so I don't think anyone can change their signature although it says everyone should be able to. That particular tab (edit signature) is being blocked for all Registered Users, despite the fact that "Allow signatures" is approved for Registered Users. I have no idea why it's not working.

I've checked all the permissions- I've reset global and group permissions, and nothing seems to work. Something deep inside our database is messed up, and I'm not sure what to do about it right now. Possibly, I need to make a new group membership and transfer everyone over, resetting permissions in the transfer(?).

I found a tech support thread on this issue, and the person with the problem never did get it fixed even after a phpBB support technician logged in to look at it. The tech was baffled and just walked away from it. Another reason to drop this software.

Hopefully this will work itself out when we move to a new forum package. :roll: I'll try to get on that later this weekend.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

The only thing I find really annoying about all of this is that it's taking BW away from work on Book III.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:The only thing I find really annoying about all of this is that it's taking BW away from work on Book III.
You ain't kidding- except not having to check on forums for nearly a week let me get more stuff done, so I'm at a net gain.

I'm not going to worry too much more about the forums. They work for now, and that's good enough for me.