New to the series and have questions...

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Achilleslastand
Pledge

New to the series and have questions...

Post by Achilleslastand »

I saw Eschalon: Book III on steam and it looked quite interesting. Being a big fan of Divine Divinity, the Baldurs Gate series, etc I was curious how the Eschalon series stacks up against those.
Difficulty wise?
Size of World?
Character development?
Loot?

Thanks!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: New to the series and have questions...

Post by Painted Lady »

Achilleslastand wrote:I saw Eschalon: Book III on steam and it looked quite interesting. Being a big fan of Divine Divinity, the Baldurs Gate series, etc I was curious how the Eschalon series stacks up against those.
Difficulty wise?
Size of World?
Character development?
Loot?

Thanks!
Baldur's Gate is designed for a party of players, and it is not turn-based. Eschalon is single player and is turn-based. They feel quite different as a result.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: New to the series and have questions...

Post by KillingMoon »

Divine Divinity doesn't make for a bad comparison, but DD's world is bigger, with bigger amounts of monsters; 100's per species, in Eschalon they rather come in dozens.
Combat in Eschalon is a little more tactical and there are more puzzles.
I believe Eschalon is the more difficult game, but only because it's easier to make mistakes in training/leveling your character. Especially in your first attempt with an Eschalon game expect to be slaughtered. But it's not so difficult once you've learnt from your mistakes.

If you're new to the series I would recommend starting with Book I or II, for reasons of price, story and difficulty.