Linux Beta Demo #2

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Linux Beta Demo #2

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Okay, here is Linux Demo number 2. The key changes are:

- The saved game folder is hidden (still in your Home folder)
- You can select either the default sound driver or the OpenAL driver if you are experiencing sound problems. Look at the help.htm file and the eschalon.cfg file for more information on how to do this; both of these files are in the game's installation folder.
- All references to OpenURL() are removed. It is broken on a level that I can't fix on my own (this is a Blitz issue). People will just need to find their own way to our website to purchase the game. :wink:

That should be it. If you experienced any kind of sound issue with the last demo, be sure to try this one out. Also, if you already own the Windows or Mac version and you want to test the full Linux version, email me with your order number. I would like a few knowledgeable Linux people with existing saved games that could be copied over try the full Linux version out and see if everything plays stable later in the game.

[edit #3]: This file has been updated Dec 19, 10:30AM ET
http://basiliskgames.com/demo/eschalon_ ... emo.tar.gz

Known Issues:
- Some ATI hardware may run the game with small graphic artifacts such as seams between the tiles. This is a driver issue. Always ensure you are running the most stable drivers for your ATI hardware.

Dependencies:
libstdc++.so.5
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on December 21st, 2007, 8:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Just dled & tried it before going to work: 2 problems: it'll only open in a window, not full screen, and it runs ridiculously fast (so much for all those who wanted a speed boost! ;)).
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

The sound is working better now, but not without some tweaking. First I set the sound driver to OpenAL, and got an error saying that the sound device was busy. I tried to get OpenAL to use ALSA instead, but to no avail. But then I tried setting it to SDL instead, and it worked! So for those of you who can't get any sound, first set the sound driver in eschalon.cfg to OpenAL. Then create a .openalrc in your home folder with

Code: Select all

(define devices '(sdl))
Hopefully this will give you sound. You can also try using alsa instead of sdl, but it didn't work for me.

But I experience the same problems that acoustibop do. Even if I choose fullscreen it only opens in a window, and it seems to run slightly too fast. I've ran both versions at the same time side by side, and in the new version walking is a bit faster. Not ridiculously fast as acoustibop reports, but fast enough that I notice the difference. Not that I'm complaining though, the faster walkspeed is quite nice ;)

But there's some good things in the new version too. The hidden save folder is nice, since it no longer ruins my carefully planned home folder ;) The renaming of the eschalon executable is also nice, since it's now much more tab complete friendly.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Hmm...okay, there's clearly something wrong. I'll get a new version uploaded later this morning.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

The demo has been updated. The "no full-screen/too fast" issue was because I failed to change the path to the .cfg file after moving it from the hidden saved games folder. My bad.

Please, download again and continue testing! I would like this version to be my Linux release candidate!
zebob
Pledge

Post by zebob »

[Edit: concern your first upload, currently downloading your update]
This version just Segfault at the beginning of the animation in the windowed mode. Full screen do not work as in the previous demo.
Edit: Last file still segfaults.

Edit: After reboot, everything works fine. Might be a problem with the last instance which have not quit correctly. Fullcreen mode now works.

Note : concerning your save dir, you could use a standard path using XDG Base Directory Specification from freedesktop ( http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi ... index.html ).

Config : Using Fedora 8, Athlon XP 2500+, 512MB RAM, Radeon 9600Pro (opensource radeon (Xorg 7.3)). No compiz. Sound with PulseAudio system.
Per
Apprentice

Post by Per »

The latest version seems to work just fine. I can't find anything to complain about.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Ah! Re-downloaded and it's working fine new! :)

Edit:
Per wrote:... Not ridiculously fast as acoustibop reports, but fast enough that I notice the difference...
I kid you not, Per - it really was ridiculously fast for me.
I have 2 Gutsy installations on this machine, one running the current 7.11 fglrx driver and one running the 8.37.6 driver that is installed by the Restricted Driver Manager. The reason is that, although the 7.11 is generally better - and I can run Compiz with it if I want - it also seems to affect sound latency adversely.

An emulator like pSX, for instance, seems to be much more affected by sound latency than videocard speed (it emulates in software and doesn't really use the hardware capabilities of the videocard) and runs much better with the 8.37.6 driver.

Interestingly, although both were running much faster than they should with the original Demo 2 package, that also ran a little faster, I think, under the 8.37.6 driver.
Last edited by acoustibop on December 18th, 2007, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farvardin
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by farvardin »

the first Linux Demo number 2 version was already working fine for me. The bug with sound was corrected.
Janusz11
Apprentice

Post by Janusz11 »

The new demo works like a charm! Great work, Basilisk! And it was a good decision to change to OpenAL (or at least make use of it). Now even the sound works for me the way it should. Once again, great job! Can't wait for the weekend when I'll have some time to dig into the game again.

Looking forward now for the full Linux game.
joshuapurcell
Initiate

Post by joshuapurcell »

Way to go on getting a new release out. Looking forward to the full game.
Joshua Purcell
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

I still get the issue some others have mentioned, that reloading a quick save sometimes puts me in the sea or stuck in the middle of some trees. Not a problem, since I only have to reload the quick save again, but...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

acoustibop wrote:I still get the issue some others have mentioned, that reloading a quick save sometimes puts me in the sea or stuck in the middle of some trees. Not a problem, since I only have to reload the quick save again, but...
Yeah, that is an obscure bug. I have been over that code a thousand times and can not find a reason for why that sometimes happens. The problem is that its truly random- if I could just find a common catalyst for it, I could have the bug stamped out in about 20 seconds. But, as it is, no one can figure out why the game occasionally places you in obscure locations upon reloads.
viratoxe
Initiate

Post by viratoxe »

Just wanted to report in that I downloaded the new demo and everything is *still* working just perfectly! Like the changes you made in the directory and binary naming!

One more item and I think it's been requested before, but is it possible that you could include an icon image file in the game archive? If you could take the Windows icon and save it as a .png file and just include it in the archive, we(the end users) can add that to the launcher we make for starting the game.

Keep up the excellent work, BW! I keep checking on the purchase page here on the site waiting to see the "Coming Soon" buttons disappear in the Linux row! ;)
\/iratoxe
Ubuntu -- An African word meaning "Gentoo is too hard for me". ;)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

viratoxe: Yes, I can. I included the application's icon this time which is what I thought you were asking for, but now I know what you mean.