Shell32.dll: SHGetFolderPathW missing.

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Maroon
Pledge

Shell32.dll: SHGetFolderPathW missing.

Post by Maroon »

Okay, so the game won't start because it is 'linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL: SHGetFolderPathW'. I'm running Windows 98 SE, DirectX 9.0c. I've had my fair share of problems, but I've never encountered this error before. It MIGHT be the fact that my graphics card isn't supported anymore so I can't get a proper driver for it, but I don't think they have anything to do with fundamental windows components. Meanwhile, everything else works fine. Can this be fixed on either my or your end, or should I just get a whole new computer if I want to play this?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

There are some problems with the way we handle saved games on Windows 98. There is a workaround for it:

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=878
gnozal
Initiate

Re: Shell32.dll: SHGetFolderPathW missing.

Post by gnozal »

Maroon wrote:Okay, so the game won't start because it is 'linked to missing export SHELL32.DLL: SHGetFolderPathW'. It MIGHT be the fact that my graphics card isn't supported anymore ...
Nothing to do with the graphic card.
The game calls a function (SHGetFolderPathW) in the windows kernel that doesn't exist in Windows 9x.
The workaround I have posted enables you to play the game but you need some (little) hex editor skills.
Maroon
Pledge

Post by Maroon »

Okay, that seems to have done the trick. Thanks!