PowerPC version of Book II?

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I

Are you going to be using a PowerPC Mac in 2009?

Yes
35%
Probably
13%
Unlikely
15%
No
37%

Total votes: 46

Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

GryphonMD wrote:
macdude22 wrote:EV:Nova single handedly made me fail World Civ I my freshman year of college (I aced the class next time around). Yea I was getting addicted to games before WoW made it cool......posers.
Pffft... until you almost fail college classes from playing games on your state-of-the-art Apple IIe, you have no room to call anyone a poser :) .

[GryphonMD]
<yes, I'm showing my age... I've owned Apples since before Apple was cool :)>
My first Mac was a Powerbook 100, but I used Apple IIs in art school.

What was really cool was that some of the best games were Mac-only, like Marathon, Escape Velocity, and Myst (for a while, anyway).

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Leej
Apprentice

Post by Leej »

JyriErik wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:[Incidentally, what was the fastest PowerPC Mac produced? I wonder if the slightly increased system requirements of Book II would exclude a sizable percentage of older Macs by default.

The fastest APPLE produced G4 was the dual 1.42GHz MDD (although not too many of them were produced), so dual 1.25GHz would by the top for Apple. For replacement CPUs, the top end is either dual 1.8GHz or single 2GHz G4s.

G5s went from single 1.6GHz to dual 2.7GHz and quad 2.5GHz.

Jyri
G4 PowerMacs topped out at dual 1.42s, but Powerbooks topped out at a 1.67 GHz G4. That was prior to the transition to MBPs.
plucero
Initiate

hd failure

Post by plucero »

Sounds like your HD died. If you have Techtools Pro 4 you might be able to suss things out and possibly recover any data stored on it. Disk Warrior will only optimize your directory files and not be able to look beyond that. Techtools Pro you will be able to boot from the disk and examine what went wrong with your drive. Please note that if your HD is really messed up you'll probably have to go to a pro recovery shop to recover your data.
Patrick
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thanks Patrick. I'll look into getting Techtools Pro.

Does anyone have an old PowerPC 10.4 OS install disc that they are willing to sell cheaply or donate to us?
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Jude wrote:@ Basilisk Wrangler: Are you sure it wasn't something simple like needing a new battery or maybe a stick of RAM going bad? I can sympathize with you. My power supply died right after Christmas and I was worried sick it was something serious.
Well, it just doesn't boot. All I get is the gray Apple logo. I've put the boot disk in and I get a message saying "panic! We are hanging now..." and the system locks, not allowing me to do anything.

I tried reseting something by holding the power button while plugging it in. Tried booting with various keys being held (x, c, system s). Nothing happens, it just displays the Apple.
I assume you are at least getting the Apple start up sound--the boing?

Did you try holding down the option key while booting? This will locate all available bootable drives, including CDs. I assume you are able to get the original install CD or a bootable repair CD into the optical drive? (In other words, the computer will let you put a CD in?)

Seriously, try changing the battery first. It's a cheap, easy thing to try, and believe it or not, many things need that little charge to work right upon booting. Make sure you uplug everything, including the power cord, first. In fact sometimes unplugging the computer and taking out the battery for a half hour or so will reset everything and fix weird problems. If you press the cuda/pram reset button, make sure you only do it once, and briefly or you could cause more problems.

I really hate to say this, but if you are getting a kernel panic upon start up, which is what it sounds like from your description (is there a weird effect like a grey transparent window shade being draw down before the "panic" warning comes up?), it could be the logic board or something mounted on it--especially if it won't let you boot from the install disk.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
artfoundry
Initiate

Post by artfoundry »

I've had my PPC G5 for a couple years now and it still runs really well. I'd like to get an Intel mac eventually, but I don't have the money for it right now - maybe in a year or two (probably closer to two). So I voted "probably".
:-Dave
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Good news- I was able to get the PPC Mac working again (it was just a corrupted OS) so we are back in business for making a PowerPC version of Book II.
Jude
Council Member

Re: PowerPC version of Book II?

Post by Jude »

OS X 10.3.9 compatible, please. :)

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yes, I believe 10.3.9 is the lowest version of MacOS we can support due to limitations with our compiler. Hopefully this won't change with the next update.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
recluse
Apprentice

Post by recluse »

I've seen a lot of games in the past year or so that this G4 won't run, but there's no way I'm gonna buy a new machine just to run a game. Sometimes I can't play because I have a PPC, rather than Intel. Other times it's the 1.25 processor. And one that I actually bought, only to find out they don't actually support the video. When I asked them why it won't run well and why it's so dark the reply "the video card is integrated with the motherboard" and they don't support that.
So I hope your new game will run on my ancient relic (to me, it's still new!).
lizarding
Pledge

Post by lizarding »

Yes, I have a powerPC ( G5), and I will be using it (I hope) in 2009, and I look forward to Eschalon 2.
Best Regards
Laraine
Pledge

Post by Laraine »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I wonder how necessary it will be to have a PowerPC version of Book II a year from now? I just had my second PowerPC Mac die and I really am wondering if it is worth it to find a replacement (or pay to have this rebuilt).

Mac fans- tell me what your plans are...
I brought my PowerMac G4 in January 2000. Its a stock 400MHz G4/AGP.
Currently the machine runs with a 2GHz G4 and a 9800 Radeon, among with maxed ram and HD capacity.
Its definitely the best computer I ever brought and I dont see me replacing it, unless I am forced.