Saved game crashes after a few steps

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Bimble
Pledge

Saved game crashes after a few steps

Post by Bimble »

I was playing the Mac version of Book 1 (the recompiled full version), and at a certain point, when I walk through a gate (in the crypts), the game crashes. It doesn't always crash in the same square, or after the same number of steps, so I haven't been able to narrow down an exact cause.

I did, however, copy the saved game folder to Windows and try the game out in the demo (since I'm still early in the game). I haven't had the same problem with the Windows version.

I did try relaunching the Mac game, as well as restarting the Mac entirely, with no change.

I posted a zipped archive of the saved game in question at this link, if it will help in troubleshooting at all. The crash happens after I open the gate and walk through it a bit.

For now, I guess I'll play a bit on Windows to get past that trouble spot, and hope the problem doesn't crop up another time after I move back to the Mac.
Paladin
Pledge

Re: Saved game crashes after a few steps

Post by Paladin »

I have this same exact problem. It happens after entering the northern area of the crypt, past the door requiring the security key. After checking all the caskets in the area I flipped the switch to open the gate to the southwest. The game crashes shortly thereafter. Never at the same spot, but I can't proceed more than 5 or 6 squares from the switch before it crashes.
Flytrapz
Pledge

Post by Flytrapz »

I've got this exact same problem in the exact same place. I haven't tried going back and reinstalling the demo and playing through the area there. Did that work? Has anyone found a fix for this?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

OK, it's now Monday, so I expect BW will be along soon.

But this is what I suggest you do:

If you haven't already, one of you needs to send a Save Game of just before this crash to BW at info-AT-basiliskgames.com, just to make sure BW knows about this (in case he hasn't read this thread...).

Instructions for doing this can be found at this post here (this post is actually describing how to do this this in Book II, but as long as you know in which folder the Save Games for Book I are being saved, the process is the same). In the E-mail, just restate how the bug can be recreated.

Hopefully, BW can figure this issue out pretty quickly...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

This is on the newest build for the Mac, right?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Bimble
Pledge

Post by Bimble »

Yep, the recompiled 1.05, for me, on Mac OS X 10.6.4 (Intel version).
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Any progress on this issue?...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Problem fixed. For some reason, a few samples are missing from the very latest Mac build of the game.

Download the attached .zip file, and extract the files into the "sound" folder, inside the Book 1 installation. The game should work fine after this.
Attachments
book_1_105_missing_sounds.zip
(107.82 KiB) Downloaded 1123 times
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Problem fixed. For some reason, a few samples are missing from the very latest Mac build of the game.

Download the attached .zip file, and extract the files into the "sound" folder, inside the Book 1 installation. The game should work fine after this.
So, BW, has the download of v1.05 at this link:

http://basiliskgames.com/updated-mac-ve ... lon-book-i

been updated so that anyone downloading it from this time forward won't see this issue?

Or will everyone who downloads that from now on, still have to download the .zip patch as well?

TIA.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

IJBall wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Problem fixed. For some reason, a few samples are missing from the very latest Mac build of the game.

So, BW, has the download of v1.05 at this link:

http://basiliskgames.com/updated-mac-ve ... lon-book-i

been updated so that anyone downloading it from this time forward won't see this issue?

Or will everyone who downloads that from now on, still have to download the .zip patch as well?
This link is being fixed today so all future downloads will be fine. Anyone who has downloaded the Macintosh version of Book I in the past six days probably needs to add these files back into the Eschalon Book I/sound/ folder.
FredericD
Pledge

Post by FredericD »

Hi,

I bought the game on Mac Game Store. It's version 1.05, but the bug (crash just after the gate in the crypt) still occurs. I've checked the Basilik version 1.05 demo, I can restore my saved game and the bug does not occur.

So I guess the MGS still has the bug.

I cannot use the fix attached to this thread; for some reason the MGS packaging is very different, I do not have a sound directory anywhere.

Regards,
Frederic
FredericD
Pledge

Post by FredericD »

Hi again,

ok, I confirm the MGS version 1.05 is not correctly patched.

However, I also found a way to patch it.

The game directory is hidden, but you can reach it in the Finder with Go to Folder (Shift-Command-G), then copy and paste the following
~/Documents/MacGamesArcade/Games/Eschalon_Book_I/Eschalon Book I/Eschalon Book I.app/Contents/Resources/.Game/sound
(I guess that's the standard location).

Copy the content of the zip file attached to this thread into the sound directory.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Frederic
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

FredericD wrote:Hi again,

ok, I confirm the MGS version 1.05 is not correctly patched.

However, I also found a way to patch it.

The game directory is hidden, but you can reach it in the Finder with Go to Folder (Shift-Command-G), then copy and paste the following
~/Documents/MacGamesArcade/Games/Eschalon_Book_I/Eschalon Book I/Eschalon Book I.app/Contents/Resources/.Game/sound
(I guess that's the standard location).

Copy the content of the zip file attached to this thread into the sound directory.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Frederic
Cool - thanks for helping others with this! :)
IamMeeks
Pledge

Post by IamMeeks »

I downloaded the Windows version from Impulse a few days ago and have run into the same crash at the same point, so it isn't unique to the Mac version. I've extracted the .zip files to the sound folder and that fixed it. May want to update the Impulse version to fix the crash.