Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Odd little buggy thing

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Isshy wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Isshy wrote:Wonderful. Now if they only listed their email address I would be in good shape.
You could send a PM to BasiliskWrangler here on the boards, or email to info [at] basiliskgames.com. It may take up to a week to get a response, depending what's going on in BW's day-to-day. Try to be patient.
Sorry. No patience here. I purchased the game in good faith that it was a working finished product. I just wanted to play it for a week while I wait for my new graphics card to arrive when I will be moving on to other games. I feel a refund is in order.
Then write to Mac Games Arcade and tell them that because they do not have the current version and the version they have is broken under the new OS, you would like a refund.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: Then write to Mac Games Arcade and tell them that because they do not have the current version and the version they have is broken under the new OS, you would like a refund.
Yep. Now I get to play 'pass the buck' and 'the blame game' when all I wanted was to play a RPG. Maybe Basilisk needs to be a little more proactive about their product distribution and take some responsibility.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Patience? You never had any to begin with. I've tried to help you, but obviously you're a stupid impatient little shit. And asking for a refund here when you purchased the game from Mac Games Arcade?

You really are fucking stupid.
That's right. Why should I have patience? It is sold as a working product but clearly it does not.

I guess when you have no valid point you resort to vulgar personal attacks like any 13 year old. That is true stupidity if you ask me.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
Isshy wrote:I guess when you have no valid point you resort to personal attacks like any 13 year old.
I'm only speaking the truth. Most of the regulars here will clearly see that you came here to cause trouble. You made no attempt to provide any relevant information until I asked, you just came here to have a tantrum.
Ahh more personal attacks. I tried every suggestion posted here. None worked. The trouble was caused by the non functional game and not by my posting about the issue. Excuse me if I expected it to actually work and am upset that it doesn't. Seems to me like you are the one throwing a tantrum by using foul language and personal attacks.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Isshy wrote:Ahh more personal attacks. I tried every suggestion posted here. None worked. The trouble was caused by the non functional game and not by my posting about the issue. Excuse me if I expected it to actually work and am upset that it doesn't. Seems to me like you are the one throwing a tantrum by using foul language and personal attacks.
The game was perfectly functional when released. Then Apple updated the Mac OS which broke an element in the Mac release of Eschalon Book I. When he was able to isolate the problem, BW fixed it and released an update. As a tiny developer, however, he has no power over the distributors to get them to actually update what they're sending to end users. He sent them the updated files, but as long as Mac Games Arcade can count on their users complaining to people with no power over what they send, they have no reason to update what they send.

Hopefully that's clear so you can stop complaining here and go complain where it might actually be useful: at Mac Games Arcade.
---

Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: The game was perfectly functional when released. Then Apple updated the Mac OS which broke an element in the Mac release of Eschalon Book I. When he was able to isolate the problem, BW fixed it and released an update. As a tiny developer, however, he has no power over the distributors to get them to actually update what they're sending to end users. He sent them the updated files, but as long as Mac Games Arcade can count on their users complaining to people with no power over what they send, they have no reason to update what they send.

Hopefully that's clear so you can stop complaining here and go complain where it might actually be useful: at Mac Games Arcade.
I apologize if my frustration showed. I didn't digital download to be patient and wait a week. I did it to fill a gap while waiting for my new graphics card. It's quite frustrating when you spend money and don't get what you paid for. While I accept that Mac Games Arcade is primarily at fault Basilisk did make the game. If it were me I would hound them until they updated it. It does affect Basilisk's reputation after all.

That said I don't think I would have been as bothered if I hadn't liked the game. It is a good game. I liked the demo and the short time I got to play the full version. Plus with the state of Mac gaming anyone who is trying to develop for Mac is welcome.

Mac Games Arcade has credited my account for the purchase. As a token of goodwill, and in support of a small developer making Mac games, I have decided to use the credit to purchase book 2. I hope to hell it works.

EDIT: I see that there is a new version of book 2. I am afraid to DL the game from Mac Games Arcade now...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Isshy wrote:EDIT: I see that there is a new version of book 2. I am afraid to DL the game from Mac Games Arcade now...
There are a few minor bug fixes and typographical errors fixed between 1.04 and 1.05 of Book II. The major difference is that 1.05 added in some extra content (an entire higher-level dungeon with some really cool stuff in it). Both run perfectly smoothly, and even without the additional content, Book II is a great game.
---

CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Isshy wrote: While I accept that Mac Games Arcade is primarily at fault Basilisk did make the game. If it were me I would hound them until they updated it. It does affect Basilisk's reputation after all.
Unfortunately, the sad truth of it is that a lot of distributors just don't give a damn, especially if you're a small time dev. See, the distributors are more worried about the games that make them money... but they're more likely to listen to those speaking with their wallets. Hell, it took one Book II owner some major heckling to get Steam to update v 1.03 to v1.04... even though BW sent them the update well in advance. If BW had been the one starting fires then it'd be likely they would have just pulled the game down.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

CrazyBernie wrote: Unfortunately, the sad truth of it is that a lot of distributors just don't give a damn, especially if you're a small time dev. See, the distributors are more worried about the games that make them money... but they're more likely to listen to those speaking with their wallets. Hell, it took one Book II owner some major heckling to get Steam to update v 1.03 to v1.04... even though BW sent them the update well in advance. If BW had been the one starting fires then it'd be likely they would have just pulled the game down.
I was in contact with IMG today. Here is the conversation:
Me:
As it turns out my information was incorrect. There is an updated version of the game that came out four months ago. According to my information Mac Games Arcade was sent the new files but never bothered to perform the update and is still selling the old bug filled version. I would appreciate your crediting $19.99 to my credit card so I can purchase the game elsewhere.

IMG:
We are updating the game to 1.0.5 tomorrow. Just got the latest version from the developer.

If you should have any other questions, please let us know.

Me:
The latest version is 1.06.

IMG:
Ok, I'll email them to make sure we get it tonight.

If you should have any other questions, please let us know.

Me (hours later):
After further research I think you may be confusing Eschalon Book 1 with Eschalon Book 2. Book 1 current version is 1.06. Book 2 current version is 1.05. They might both need to be upgraded. I would consider using the credit for book 2 but am afraid it may not be current.

Looks like I got it done.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Now you can link me as the guy who put up a stink to get Mac Games Arcade to update their files :lol: