1.05 Can't See My Saved Games

Linux support forum for Eschalon: Book I
cfurlin
Pledge

1.05 Can't See My Saved Games

Post by cfurlin »

I recently reinstalled Eschalon on a new Linux box. I had been playing using the 1.04 version and installed 1.05 and it does not see any of my saved games. Are they not compatible?
cfurlin
Pledge

Re: 1.05 Can't See My Saved Games

Post by cfurlin »

NM. I figured it out ;-)

You changed the name of the saved games directory. It used to be ".eschalon_b1_saved_games" (a hidden file) and now it is just "eschalon_b1_saved_games".

BTW, that's a horrible filename for us Linux purists who like to keep a neat and clean Home folder.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

cfurlin wrote:BTW, that's a horrible filename for us Linux purists who like to keep a neat and clean Home folder.
So what would you recommend?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
The Noid
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by The Noid »

Simply .eschalon-b1 would work just fine.
Or
.basilisk/eschalon-b1
.basilisk/eschalon/book-1/saves
.eschalon/book-1
.eschalon/book-1/saves

As long as it starts with a .
Janusz11
Apprentice

Post by Janusz11 »

Yep, have to agree. I was a little confused as well when I realised that the save folder is now a regular instead of a hidden folder (like before). I'd prefer the save games to be saved in a hidden folder again as well.
cfurlin
Pledge

Post by cfurlin »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
cfurlin wrote:BTW, that's a horrible filename for us Linux purists who like to keep a neat and clean Home folder.
So what would you recommend?
I would recommend what others have said in this thread. As a person who develops software for the Linux platform, I would highly recommend a hidden folder named with the company name, Basilisk. This is customary, especially if you are planning on releasing several titles for Linux. I would use something like:

.basilisk
.basiliskgames

Then underneath this folder, you can house configuration files in folders for each of your titles, such as:

.basilisk/eschalon_1
.basilisk/eschalon_2
.basilisk/eschalon_3

It's a lot cleaner solution and makes it easier to remember where to find the files, if the need arises.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Resurrect old(ish) thread time away!

If you ever do decide to do a 1.06, you could switch it to use .basilisk_games ala Book II.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
dahoste
Pledge

Post by dahoste »

[sigh] Well there is now a v1.06, and I just upgraded to it (from v1.04) and the saved games dir is still '~/eschalon_b1_saved_games'. :(

Maybe for v1.07...
Bazu135
Pledge

Post by Bazu135 »

Is there maybe a config file we could adjust to change the default save/load directory? Just rename the directory on our systems, then update the config to match?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

If you really want to change the save game directory, here are some stupid fixes courtesy of perl search and replace. Note that this is completely unsupported and not recommended by me or Basilisk Games. If you break your game, your computer, or anything else, don't blame us.

If you just want to make the saved games directory a hidden file but don't care what it's called, run this command from your Book I directory:

Code: Select all

cat Eschalon\ Book\ I | perl -i -pe 's/e(\0s\0c\0h\0a\0l\0o\0n\0_\0b)/.$1/' > eb1
That will make games go into ~/.schalon_b1_games. If you want your Book I games to coexist next to your Book II games in ~/.basilisk_games/, do this:

cat Eschalon\ Book\ I | perl -i -pe 's/e\0s\0c\0h\0a\0l\0o\0n\0_\0b.{26}/.\0b\0a\0s\0i\0l\0i\0s\0k\0_\0g\0a\0m\0e\0s\0\/\0b\0001\0g\0a\0m\0e\0s/' > eb1; chmod a+x eb1
Careful with the line breaks and spacing - that's all supposed to be on one line with no spaces between the beginning and ending single quotes. Note that this second example will give an error if ~/.basilisk_games/ doesn't exist!

In either case, then run

chmod a+x eb1
and start the game by running eb1 rather than Eschalon Book I.