What's missing??

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!

What do you feel is missing from Book II??

More quests. :?:
36%
More difficulty options. :!:
7%
More enemies!! Grimlock Smash!! :twisted:
11%
Some wildlife would be nice. Add a little... flair. :idea:
13%
More NPCs!! Bring on the victims - er populace. :?
15%
Some previously mentioned feature that didn't make it in the game. I really wanted it!! *pout* :(
4%
More in-game lore. I'm a read-a-holic. 8)
5%
I think Book II is pretty well rounded. :)
7%
CrazyBernie's ugly mug! Grimlock Smash More!! :shock:
0%

Total votes: 220

IJBall
Major
Major

Re: What's missing??

Post by IJBall »

Bob the Thief wrote:The user should be able to look at a map of all the areas that have been revealed so far as one thing, not have to travel to a[n] area (square) to see that region's map.
I'm not sure if you're suggesting what I'm thinking of, but a "meta" map (i.e. a "big" map linking all the filled-in Minimaps to that point in the game) is a really good idea - I think many of us would like such a feature going into Book III (perhaps right-clicking or CTRL-clicking the Minimap could bring up the so-called "Meta"-Map?...).
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Bob the Thief wrote: The maps should hold that highest level detail. If you have some high cartography skill (say due to an amulet) you get a better map. If you take the amulet off and revisit the map the detail is overwritten and reduced. Assuming you either remember what you saw before or were actually making a map. Why would the map change because your cartography is now less than before? This makes the reveal map spell more useful. You'd use it to make a better map of certain areas.
This is a very common request since Book I, but one that would require a significant overhaul of the mapping system. It might be implemented in Book III, but in Basilisk's next engine is probably a better bet.
Bob the Thief wrote: All the shops are open all the time. Perhaps when it is dark or late the shops will close. Not only will you have to amuse yourself (e.g. cause trouble) while waiting for the shop to open if you get there at the wrong time, you could also have the opportunity to break in and help yourself to things, with the appropriate consequences if you get caught (thrown in jail, some task to perform for restitution, fined, banned from the town, chased by the town guards, possessions confiscated, etc.). A successful thief could steal stuff in one town and sell it in another.
I'd like to see an Ultima-style NPC schedule system - NPCs get up, eat breakfast at the inn, go to work, come home, go to sleep. That does indeed let you loot houses and/or businesses if you arrive at the right time. It also makes the world feel more lived in. The inns with huge empty common rooms always make me a little sad :(
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I know ive only played the game to a small degree, but i think from what ive seen, they've been doing a great job. The only one thing that would be cool would be 5 or 6 more new difficulty swaps and maybe some creature vs. creature fighting. This would make it more unique to when you play. For example-

1)Gluttonous pig- This character eats and drinks a large amount more, thus they grow hungry and thirsty more. You will need to strategize how much food you bring with you on your quests. This one would be tough, but fun at the same time.

2) Hexed- From since this character was born, they always get everything bad happening to them. In hexed, the max damage creatures and stuff do to you is higher. This will make melee opponents tough as anything to fight.

Those are just a few i thought up, but there should really be at least like ten. Makes the game more playable....and replayable.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

First: I'll really have to read the rest of this thread, since I haven't been paying attention to it.

Anyhow, to start with: I very much like Bob's idea about shops closing: Really, if we're going for realism, here: shops should close late at night.

I also like Deathknight's request for the unlucky character.

However, while at first I thought the "gluttonous pig" idea sounded good: on second thought I think this would be a case of too much burden for the player.

On hunger and thirst, though: I feel that the bars move more slowly than they should in 'reality' (and thirst should move more quickly, since our character is so damn active)... and, like in Book 1, the time of day changes too quickly. I would like to see lengthier days and lengthier nights -- and, since this appears to be summer -- days should be longer than nights . . . especially if this land is closer to one of the poles (although the existence of Crakamir suggests otherwise). If you do this without changing how quickly you grow hungry: that's more realistic.

Also, the thirst and hunger bars are backwards. A long hunger bar should mean you're hungry, not full. Otherwise: call it a food bar and the other a water bar. Those names aren't as obvious, but they become obvious once you start getting hunger pangs or dry mouth or weakness.

Also, I think that bedrest should allow you to recover from sickness.

There're a lot of things that BW can do to add real depth to this game in a way that no other game has done, to distinguish it from other games even more than it already is. This, really, is one of the advantages, I think, of having a simplified, no-nonsense stylization: with less attention spent on graphics, more attention can be spent on world depth.

That's why I find it a little disappointing that Eschalon is not a lot more involved/deep than it is . . . at least so far as I've gotten (lvl 6 and verging on lvl 7).

Also, we should be able to click on the map to travel (preferably zoom) there, I don't know yet if someone else has suggested this.

Finally, I want to comment on BadSector's suggestions, just for feedback/discussion. I'll add a √ where I agree, a x where I disagree and a ~ where I'm ambivalent or uncertain, as well as [my special Keith Olbermann comments] :

x [atmosphere, atmosphere!] Another easiness for the player would be visual removal of trees. Now sometimes it's hard to find your way between the trees ot even to see enemies let alone calculating projectile trajectory. It would be nice if the player is able to virtually remove the trees, for example pressing "Tab" key remains only the trunks.
x [I love the rain and storms, especially when my torch gets blown out... also love when it's cloudy and nights become pitch dark -- great improvement on Book 1]] In my opinion it rains too often.
[suggested long ago, still pushing for it] A possibility to write notes ingame and map markers. Again it's not a problem to do it on a sheet of paper but ingame it would be faster :)
[suggested long ago, still pushing for it] The Quickload button loads Quickasave, not need to choose it.
x [how is this useful? Also, I think it looks great, especially when it fills with clouds] Day/night indicator to become transparent or so on mouse over.
[and also: in window mode the bottom edge should not hidden: I have to open up in full view all the time and so cannot access my other applications] Higher resolution.
x [this isn't a Spiderweb game. BW designed the game this way for a reason.] Ability do drag the minimap, for example by holding right mouse key.
[if you mean for "kill # beasties" quests: I agree] Counter for the remaining enemies :D
~ [absolutely, but I'm not sure if this isn't already the case] As there is maximum damage, there should be minimum damage.
[Haven't seen this to be true or not, yet, but I'll trust BadSector: this is necessary for RPG's: all of them do it if they have such quests] Dynamic information on quests, i.g. "kill 23 bugs for someone" changes to "You have killed 23 bugs, return to someone for reward".
~ ['twould be nice, but BW probably has a diff't idea of what should be accessible to our hero[ine], so let's not step on his vision] It would be nice to diversify the quest rewards, i.g. potions that give permanent boost to skills/resistances/experience.
[not sure what you have in mind, but more diversity is always good] More diversity in equipment.
[makes sense, but only if BW also raises the encounter rate, which seems to have been lowered from Book 1. Camping should be riskier -- giving greater incentive for using inns] Health and mana should fully recharge overnight while camping.
~ [well, I suppose it could be helpful for rangers who don't want to 'waste' points, but it's part of the challenge of the game, methinks] Gravedigger's flame amulet like in part one.
[atmosphere, atmosphere!] Now there are too much large unpopulated areas, it's boring to walk so much.
~ [can't comment on this yet but I remember Book 1 being way, way too short, though this added to the replayability] The game is a little bit short.
In most cases the player should be able to reach the level cap a little before the ending.
x [too much work for the player] The food should be cooked somehow, or even you can put cooking recepies that give temporal stats boost, but eating raw rat meat is disgusting.
[yes; and special orders/requests are cool, too] Smiths should make stuff on errand from your materials and magic shop owners can imbue this stuff with what the player likes.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.