Best Weapon / Armor EVER

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
mgbmgb
Steward

Re: Best Weapon / Armor EVER

Post by mgbmgb »

what is the base damage of the wand?
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Hey, does using that wand mess up any of the challenges? (Aside from the obvious Pacifist if you kill to many things.) Curious to know what kind of attack it is considered.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Farwalker wrote:Hey, does using that wand mess up any of the challenges? (Aside from the obvious Pacifist if you kill to many things.) Curious to know what kind of attack it is considered.
using it messes up true mage. apparently a magic wand counts as a weapon a mage wouldn't use :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

silverkitty wrote:
Farwalker wrote:Hey, does using that wand mess up any of the challenges?
using it messes up true mage. apparently a magic wand counts as a weapon a mage wouldn't use :)
I guess you could look at it as a funny-shaped ray gun. I presume it doesn't count as "Kills made using a bow" or "Kills made using Magic?"
Sade
Initiate

Post by Sade »

SpottedShroom wrote:I guess you could look at it as a funny-shaped ray gun. I presume it doesn't count as "Kills made using a bow" or "Kills made using Magic?"
Just checked it; it does count as a kill, but not either as "Kills made using a bow" or as "Kills made using Magic".

I suppose that the game handles the wand as if it would be a (physical) melee weapon.
mute
Pledge

Post by mute »

Here's a pretty good axe I found:

The other axe above and to the right of this one was a Mithril Grand Axe +4 which was also valued at 15750 which leads me to believe that is the maximum value of found items.
Gorgon Rider
Marshall

Post by Gorgon Rider »

No, I found an armor that was worth 16000 (sorry, I don't have a screenie).
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Gorgon Rider wrote:No, I found an armor that was worth 16000 (sorry, I don't have a screenie).
Which means 8000 GP is the minimum amount of cash-on-hand that the high end weapons dealers need to have to make this whole thing work...
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Or not. Your loot score is determined by gold + value of items in your inventory at the end. So really, selling the highest end weapons is ripping yourself off in the end -- by the time you get them, it's not like you need the gold for anything else.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

silverkitty wrote:Or not. Your loot score is determined by gold + value of items in your inventory at the end. So really, selling the highest end weapons is ripping yourself off in the end -- by the time you get them, it's not like you need the gold for anything else.
Personally, I don't believe the game should place arbitrary limits on how people want to play the game. Yeah, you're right about the Final Score thing, but not everyone is playing for the Final Score - some people may, instead, just be shooting for the Wealthy Lord challenge for whatever reason. And some people just may want to free up an Inventory slot for a boatload of $$$$! :twisted:

In any case, I haven't picked up my v1.04 games in a while (hoping to get to that soon...), so I haven't had a chance to check if dealers' cash-on-hand totals have been bumped up in v1.04. But, if they haven't, at least this thread has given us a GP value to push for in bumping up dealers' cash-on-hand totals in v1.05...
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Fair enough, but I'm curious, because you call this an "arbitrary limit on how you play the game" - why does this particular piece of arbitrary limitation bug you more than things like "you only get 3 skill points per level" or "you can only memorize as many spells as your (magic-relevant-stat)/2"? it's just another "rule" like those, name the rule of: "some things are too expensive to sell." This rule, at least, is kinda like reality in a way - without bank loans (which are absent in the game), very few people (and none of them mere "stall merchants") can buy some particularly expensive things. It happens.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

silverkitty wrote:very few people... can buy some particularly expensive things. It happens.
Alternatively, perhaps it'd make sense to allow the player to sell items for less than the dealer would be willing to pay. An extra dialog along the lines of "I can't afford to pay you what this is worth, but I'll buy it for <x> because that's all I have." And then let the user decide whether to take the hit or not.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

I could get behind that suggestion, xolotl.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

silverkitty wrote:Fair enough, but I'm curious, because you call this an "arbitrary limit on how you play the game" - why does this particular piece of arbitrary limitation bug you more than things like "you only get 3 skill points per level" or "you can only memorize as many spells as your (magic-relevant-stat)/2"? it's just another "rule" like those, name the rule of: "some things are too expensive to sell."
It's simple, SK - the reason this bugs me so much is that THIS WAS NOT AN ISSUE IN BOOK I!

In Book I, there was no item I ever came across, even one that I had further maxed out by imbuing, that I was not able to sell back for GP. It wasn't even an issue.

In other words, this is one change has made Book II less functional than Book I was. (The only other change that I can find that's made Book II less functional than Book I was the change in the number of starting Skill points at character creation, which is the one other Book II change that I'm also not crazy about, as it effectively costs you a Skill at start-up...)

Anyway, I tend to consider losing functionality between App versions a "Microsoft-ization" effect, and that can never be considered a "good" thing... :P
xolotl wrote:Alternatively, perhaps it'd make sense to allow the player to sell items for less than the dealer would be willing to pay. An extra dialog along the lines of "I can't afford to pay you what this is worth, but I'll buy it for <x> because that's all I have." And then let the user decide whether to take the hit or not.
Personally, I don't find that to be a preferable solution.

What might be an acceptable compromise would be to add another option at game creation for "Low money supply games" in addition to the "Fixed seed", "Item wear" and "Food/Water" options - with this option selected, people could play the game pretty much as it is now (and, presumably, get some sort of 5% or 10% bonus for choosing this option); with this option de-selected all of the cash-on-hand with all of the dealers could simply be doubled (along with sacrificing the 5% or 10% bonus), which should be enough to sell back almost any item to the Exotics dealer in Port K and/or the Dwarf blacksmith in Durnore.
(And I imagine, from a coding standpoint, this extra option wouldn't be that difficult to implement...)

That, at least, would give people another option on how they wanted to play the game, which was one of the selling points of Book II. :mrgreen:
(And, personally, I doubt I'd ever select the "Low money supply" option...)
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:In other words, this is one change has made Book II less functional than Book I was.
It's not less functional, it's just providing you with an easy way to give back to the community you've been taking advantage of for so long! Think of all those chests and drawers pilfered from innocent town dwellers, dwarves mercilessly slaughtered in their mines - now's your chance to Give Back! I'm sure Wendy would appreciate the donation of a Lifecutter Mithril Grand Axe +4 in her bedside drawer. No Outlander's gonna take advantage of her!

(insert a rambling paragraph about how Book 2 isn't a new "version" of Book 1, rather its own separate game, and therefore behavioral comparisons between merchant wealth and initial skill point allocation really shouldn't be thought of as a downgrade so much as a simple difference)