Wintry Games

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Wintry Games

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Hope everyone is safe and warm in the world of wintry weather out there this week. What games has everyone been playing? For myself, I'd never actually played through Baldur's Gate before, so I got I've been going through them. I started playing BG2, but then backed up and went back to the first game. Finished off Sarevok and started the little add on.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Wintry Games

Post by Painted Lady »

Baldur's Gate is such a widely praised classic RPG that I would love to love it.

Guess the problem is that I don't like the Infinity Engine because it isn't turn-based. The battles aren't all that strategically interesting as a result, so darn it all. My problem with an otherwise fun game.....
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

Right now, I'm trying to finish up Xenonauts and Icewind Dale 2. Then I'm hoping to squeeze in another playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn before the sequel comes out.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Painted Lady wrote: February 5th, 2022, 10:46 am Baldur's Gate is such a widely praised classic RPG that I would love to love it.

Guess the problem is that I don't like the Infinity Engine because it isn't turn-based. The battles aren't all that strategically interesting as a result, so darn it all. My problem with an otherwise fun game.....
I wouldn't be one to praise it wildly. It's got some very fun stuff. The combat can definitely be annoying with the need to constantly pause and the way timing works where half the time my casters get their spells off just after my tanks have killed the target. I'm also not a huge fan of the cartoonish way Good VS Evil is handled in much of Dungeons & Dragons. One of the reasons when I was younger that my friends and I gravitated to other RPG systems.

But there is a LOT of fun to be had in the games.
---

blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Trying to finish HZD (Horizon zero dawn for those who dont know) then will move on to continue with Dyling LIght 2. I know HZD prob wont be on pc for at least a year or 2 but i can wait just like i waited for HZD and RDR2 and it was worth the wait.

Got some older games i prob should try/finish, wish i had left well enough alone and not rebought after refunding Cyberpunk because while they fixed the rebinds, the fps part is clunky to me and i dont care for the fact that all the enemies can also hack the cams and see everywhere i go lol (yeah i need to get better but it was frustrtating), restarted path of exile and loved for a much longer time this go round but got to a boss that is insanely hard to beat so got tired of that, also same happened to me with Wolcen(another promising but dissapointed to find a boss so hard game that i loved a lot of the way through)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Great topic!

I'm finishing my second playthrough of Xenoblade Chronicles X on my Wii U. I never completed all of the post-game missions or tried to do 100% completion on all of the maps before, and I'm working toward that now. I never realized how much fun stuff I was missing. There are some very good post-game missions, and after I scrounged up enough materials to build the Ares 90 super skell (the giant mechs you can pilot), the post-game really opened up for me. It's fun being able to defeat tyrants that are 30+ levels higher than me and get into some areas that I previously considered death traps.

In the evenings, I'm also playing through Fire Emblem: Awakening on my 3DS for the first time. Three Houses was my first Fire Emblem game, and I enjoyed it so much, I picked up a 3DS and the Fire Emblem titles for that. I like the fact that these games are all turned-based. It's a good game so far. I'm on chapter 6. (Also picked up the DLC for all these games, since the 3DS eShop is closing soon)

Before my second XCX playthrough, I was playing Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on my Switch. I had to pause it though because I got stuck at the end of the first dungeon. I ordered the hint book to help out, which has now arrived. I'll resume that game once I finish XCX.

I'm looking forward to Xenoblade Chronicles 3 in the fall.

I'm thinking about picking up the updated version of Geneforge 1: Mutagen this summer. The story looks very different from the other games, so I'm not sure whether I'll like it or not. That's why I haven't gotten it yet. I need to try the demo.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Shadowrun : Missions

It's like Shadowrun Returns, except you get to chose a random mission lasting about 20 min each. Perfect for supposedly adult and supposedly responsible people like me, who don't get to devote hours a day to gaming no more.

The game has a radically new approach. There is no dragon to slay, or crazed interdimensional daemons.

No, the "story" comes from the character development your teammates, your pick of Shadowrunners just vibin' and chillin' in your hideout after each mission - sometimes being real, sometimes being weird, sometimes being deep, sometimes being cynical, sometimes throwing parties, sometimes trashing the place searching for a hit,.. Kind of like the dinner scenes in Grandia 2, except everybody just seems to lack direction in life. Haven't really figured it out yet, doesn't really dream of anything bigger and better, doesn't really believe in anything other than surviving the day.

Its not turnbased anymore, and you dont directly control the rest of the runners you bring along anymore (you can somewhat give them orders, but they also have a mind of their own). The gameplay is more like a mix of Champions of Norrath (except a lot more difficult as you dont have infinite health and healing potions) but with a cover system like in Gun. Also, any buddies you have over can join the game at any time, taking control of one of your fellow Shadowrunners like how people can jump in and out like in Mana from SNES.

I mean, the game doesn't actually exist, but if it did I would def play the daylight out of it.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Leezar wrote: May 31st, 2022, 7:01 pm Shadowrun : Missions

It's like Shadowrun Returns, except you get to chose a random mission lasting about 20 min each. Perfect for supposedly adult and supposedly responsible people like me, who don't get to devote hours a day to gaming no more.

The game has a radically new approach. There is no dragon to slay, or crazed interdimensional daemons.

No, the "story" comes from the character development your teammates, your pick of Shadowrunners just vibin' and chillin' in your hideout after each mission - sometimes being real, sometimes being weird, sometimes being deep, sometimes being cynical, sometimes throwing parties, sometimes trashing the place searching for a hit,.. Kind of like the dinner scenes in Grandia 2, except everybody just seems to lack direction in life. Haven't really figured it out yet, doesn't really dream of anything bigger and better, doesn't really believe in anything other than surviving the day.

Its not turnbased anymore, and you dont directly control the rest of the runners you bring along anymore (you can somewhat give them orders, but they also have a mind of their own). The gameplay is more like a mix of Champions of Norrath (except a lot more difficult as you dont have infinite health and healing potions) but with a cover system like in Gun. Also, any buddies you have over can join the game at any time, taking control of one of your fellow Shadowrunners like how people can jump in and out like in Mana from SNES.

I mean, the game doesn't actually exist, but if it did I would def play the daylight out of it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
---

kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

Bit late to the party..
what I have been playing:

I had never played West of Loathing before.. just got it and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it.

So worth it.

then
I played citizen sleeper, a mostly narrative sci fi game where you are an artificial human (kinda of a clone) super fun storyline...

and now I am replayed Eschalon 2.. haven't played it since it came out.
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

kelticpete wrote: September 28th, 2022, 11:24 pm
I had never played West of Loathing before.. just got it and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it.
Looked that up and added it to my wishlist. I may grab it when I finish some of the games I'm in the middle of (because really, who can play just one game at a time?).
---

blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: September 29th, 2022, 5:43 am
kelticpete wrote: September 28th, 2022, 11:24 pm
Looked that up and added it to my wishlist. I may grab it when I finish some of the games I'm in the middle of (because really, who can play just one game at a time?).
Me! if i do more than that i lose my place and start over.....so yeah i guess i do play more than one then just restart them all LOL
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.