Basilisk Games Update for 2023?

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Basilisk Games Update for 2023?

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

Could we please have an update on what Basilisk Games have been doing for the last few months and what 2023 might bring us?

Also, could we have a list of the games Basilisk Games have worked on since 2014 as a contractor? You mentioned a helicopter sim adventure in the past. What is it called?

Thank you.
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Basilisk Games Update for 2023?

Post by Painted Lady »

I just logged in to ask the same basic question - do you have an update for your faithful fans?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

More waving from the faithful fans in the peanut gallery.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I love you guys! I am so sorry for being quiet. I wish I could say there are great things coming real soon, but I just don't have a clear picture yet. So if you want the more detailed explanation:

About a year ago I mentioned moving to Godot, which is a game engine that is lean, powerful and open source. Currently I am waiting on version 4.0 to be released before I can port my earlier work over (they've just reached beta 9, so we're close!). If you recall, I had previously spent years working with Unity and experimenting with several failed jump starts on my next game.

I can't believe how long it's been since I've actually released anything. Meanwhile, Jeff over at Spiderweb Software seems to drop a new game every other week. :D Well, as Theodore Roosevelt once said, “Comparison is the thief of joy.” I can't judge my success against anyone else's, and so I just keep slowly toiling away in my office.

A few people have asked if I've just given up game development, and the answer is a solid no. However, my projects always seem to take a back seat to my other responsibilities, whether that be grinding on contract work, helping my kid's school maintain their website, building out a home theater in our basement, or just walking the dog. Days often turn into weeks between the time I put any serious work in on my next game.

If I had to give a forecast for 2023, I'd say sometime in January Godot 4.0 will be released. I'll spend a few weeks porting some earlier work over to it and learning the new features. If all goes well and if I can dig in hard, maybe I'll have something to show off later in the year.

I should also note that I am aware the website is looking a bit dated. The blog-style updates on the front page aren't doing it for me anymore, and this forum software needs updated. I'll need to take a serious look at refreshing it all before I really announce anything. I guess if you see the website suddenly refreshed into something new, it might be a sign I'm preparing to show something.

Have a great holiday and a fantastic start to 2023!! <3
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Just dont revamp this place too much, it grew on me LOL

And dont yall have bas as a friend on steam? I occasionally bother him with a hi and whats up. NOt that i get any other info but its nice to say hi now and again and imagine he might slip sometime LOL
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

I can't judge my success against anyone else's,
Why not? There have NEVER in living memory been a better time to feel smug about yourself or even gloat.

All the big-wigs are failing spectacularly;

Pokemon is a bigger mess than Cyberpunk 2077 and No Man's Sky combined.

The Witcher, all Marvel movies, and all those, uh, whatever they were called franchise, they all suck major donkey*****.

And Rings of Power is such a spectacular failure it lost Amazon 1 BILLION DOLLARS, Jesus Christ. I watched that, and like, did the writers of that manure even read the books? I mean, I am by no means a Tolkien scholar or even rabid fan boy, and even I can tell that they FUBAR'd the lore.

Then there was some shenanigans with DnD because of orcs and dark elves or whatever. I didn't really understand the specifics about what the problem was, but the bottom line is they can't peddle their dross anymore and the company might come under the axe sooner rather than later.

If schadenfreude is your thing, then hunting season is on.

Also, on a even more positive note, I actually have some constructive advice to give. You know, with all my 0 years, 0 month and 0 days of game development experience and all, so you know can trust me on these issues :wink: . Here goes;
I would rather play the C64 game "We Are Stardust" (I didn't link the youtube because you said linking is bad in another thread) all day long than I would any of the recent abominations containing broken plot lines, microtransactions, game braking bugs and so on and so forth. Basically, return to the roots. I was alive during the Amiga glory days. I mean, I was a toddler back then, but when I got old enough to understand the joy of wasting your free time far away from people and actually useful activities such as playing football, instead gluing yourself to a epilepsy inducing CRT, I couldn't help but get mesmerized by many of these old games, such as Defenders of the Crown. Even as I had a PowerPC 6100 and could play Marathon (lol whaddaya mean Doom that is for the lowly DOS peasantry), Abuse, Ares, Warcraft2 and the other good oldies, there is just something amazing about the gooder and oldier Amiga classics. Keep it simple, keep it enjoyable.

No need to thank me, happy to help 8)
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: December 20th, 2022, 1:21 pm About a year ago I mentioned moving to Godot, which is a game engine that is lean, powerful and open source. Currently I am waiting on version 4.0 to be released before I can port my earlier work over (they've just reached beta 9, so we're close!).
You're waiting for Godot? I think I read this play. ;-)

When you have your tools ready, I'm sure your brain will do what it did so many years ago when Eschalon went from an idea to a reality. In the meantime, keep finding the joy in life and keep us updated when you can.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

Leezar wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 12:13 pm Pokemon is a bigger mess than Cyberpunk 2077 and No Man's Sky combined.

The Witcher, all Marvel movies, and all those, uh, whatever they were called franchise, they all suck major donkey*****.

And Rings of Power is such a spectacular failure it lost Amazon 1 BILLION DOLLARS, Jesus Christ. I watched that, and like, did the writers of that manure even read the books? I mean, I am by no means a Tolkien scholar or even rabid fan boy, and even I can tell that they FUBAR'd the lore.

Then there was some shenanigans with DnD because of orcs and dark elves or whatever. I didn't really understand the specifics about what the problem was, but the bottom line is they can't peddle their dross anymore and the company might come under the axe sooner rather than later.
The new Pokemon game sold over 10 million units in its first three days.

The Witcher (I assume you mean the Netflix show) is getting a third and fourth season, and the MCU is going strong.

Rings of Power is getting a second season.

D&D has never been more popular or successful.

Not sure where you're getting all of your information from.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Arkos wrote: December 25th, 2022, 2:55 am
Leezar wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 12:13 pm Pokemon is a bigger mess than Cyberpunk 2077 and No Man's Sky combined.

The new Pokemon game sold over 10 million units in its first three days.

The Witcher (I assume you mean the Netflix show) is getting a third and fourth season, and the MCU is going strong.

Rings of Power is getting a second season.

D&D has never been more popular or successful.

Not sure where you're getting all of your information from.
Just go to youtube and write "Pokemon glitches". Yes, I know it sold gold. But I think the buggy mess - especially considering they are charging 70 euros for the game - is definitely gonna hurt Nintendo's reputation long term.

Secondly, Amazon reported that the ROP first episode had a 25 million viewership, but by episode 8, Amazon reported that they will "soon reach it's 100 million viewership goal". 8 * 25 = 400. That means a viewership drop in excess of 75%... assuming they all dropped after the first episode. More realistically though, more and number of viewers went down with every episode, that means probably around 10-15% of viewers, or around 3 million. Of course, streaming services don't charge per movie / series, rather relying on a library of goodies to keep the customers coming back for more, so it is more difficult to calculate the exact loss of revenue. None the less, I don't think Bezos is happy with the performance. Also, google "Rings of powers review" some of them are absolutely hilarious! And well deserved I should point out. For instance, Elrond married Galadriels daughter, and in ROP Elrond is kind of flirty with Galadriel, making the story writing literally on pair with Twilight Saga.

Finally, sorry if you missed these news, but Hasbro is adding microtransactions to DnD. No joke.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole