Eschalon Engine Games

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
ToddMcF2002
Pledge

Eschalon Engine Games

Post by ToddMcF2002 »

Folks I realize you are moving onto a new series and I think its been said you are going 3D. I look forward to that. BUT.... there is a certain charm to these simple isometric engines. I realize Basilisk wants to evolve but we still need this old school goodness! So please don't forget the old school fans. I just finished Book III and the whole series tonight and loved it. Well done!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Eschalon Engine Games

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I totally understand that the isometric look is where our roots are at. I have already been looking at a possible return to isometric after TRC, playing around with engine ideas in my spare time. Working with Unity now has made me realize what an incredible isometric engine could be made inside it, and I regret not taking the extra time to port Book III over to Unity back when I was working on it. I cut too many corners with Book III because of BlitzMax limitations, which Unity does not suffer from.

Anyway, despite our next game (TRC) not being isometric, it is still very much an old-school CRPG at heart. It's still turn-based and has a very "Eschalon" feel, but from a new perspective. Also, for me, working in a sci-fi environment is so refreshing after the years I spent inside a classical fantasy game world.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
ToddMcF2002
Pledge

Re: Eschalon Engine Games

Post by ToddMcF2002 »

Looking forward to your sci-fi game too. I suppose there has to be a limit to how many games you can punch out with the BlitzMax limitations. I recall years ago that you were envisioning party based games in Eschalon and maybe that proved to difficult to implement. I love the simple charm of the engine and pixel graphics but you are probably right that it is time to progress. Great work so far!