Zorin OS

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Zorin OS

Post by CrazyBernie »

Anyone try it? I'm messing around with it right now - installed it on an HP laptop with a 4th gen i3/8GB/SSD, another HP laptop with a 3rd Gen i3/8GB/Spindle drive and a Lenovo Yoga 260. It's definitely the slickest and most user friendly iteration of Linux I've personally dealt with to-date. I'm thinking of giving the Yoga to my mother-in-law and the older HP to my grandmother - two very computer illiterate people. They're both previous Windows 7 users, who really just do some light web browsing and email.

I know it's just about the opposite of why most Linux users use Linux, but from an ease of use and familiarity to Windows standpoint, so far I think it's one of the best flavors to recommend to someone who's new. I've messed around with Linux off and on for years but I never really committed to it because I was too lazy to learn another, completely different OS. That and being a heavy gamer I was always put off by the lack of developer support.

With the end of support for Windows 7 these guys have been making a big marketing push, which is why I even ran across this flavor. It's been good enough that in the week-ish that I've been using it I decided supplant Windows 10 on these older laptops. I might even take the Lite version for a spin, and maybe throw some support their way by picking up a copy of the Ultimate edition.

I'll probably still drop a copy of Cinnamon Mint on one of my machines, as I like a tiny bit more GUI-based tweak-ability out of the box.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Zorin OS

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

It's an Ubuntu variant (according to wiki). Looks nice!

Personally, I *love* Linux. But as a developer, I can't use it as much because I also require Adobe Creative Suite to do my job (and a couple other critical Windows-only apps) and so I am stuck on Windows. I've tried to go full Linux in my studio but I end up returning to Windows.

I do run Ubuntu on my personal laptop, though. I'll give Zorin OS a try for sure!

A tip I have for those who dislike Windows but have to use it: try Windows 10 LTSB, which is a stripped-down version of Windows 10. Feels like Windows 7 with a fancy theme. LTSB removes the Microsoft Store (no ability to run "Windows Apps" at all actually) and it's great for just straight gaming or software development.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Zorin OS

Post by CrazyBernie »

I just wish they made W10 LTSB available officially instead of having to get fishy with it. We were looking at utilizing it in our facilities but the Store is *required* for certain components that we install. We still might use it in low traffic or clinical areas that don't need extra software.