Welcome to the new Website!

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Welcome to the new Website!

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Welcome!!

As for what's new: well, everything! We're now running on a new host with the latest software. Our previous website had not been updated since 2009...6 years is like 60 years in "internet time". The new website is clean and modern, and can do a lot of things which we'll take advantage of going forward. These forums are running on a new version of phpBB as well, which will allow us to implement features already common on other forums. If you want a certain feature implemented (something that perhaps another forum already does), let me know and I'll look into it.

As you can see, the overall theme of Basilisk Games has been updated. We've moved away from the exclusive fantasy/RPG look that we had before. Worry not- we're still passionate about RPGs and yes, we do have a major RPG in the works right now. But, we're also playing around with several other game ideas and eventually we'll likely publish other games that are not specifically RPGs.

I'm sorry that this is not the time for us to announce anything new. The games that we have in the works are all extremely early in development and use all temporary graphics. Showing them off now would not be smart.

Let us know if you find typos, broken links, or anything else that might be broken!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to the new Website!

Seems as though we're having some trouble with the main website, though I am reaching the new forums now. Was told by tech support to wait a bit while DNS propagates.

Definitely will have some broken links to fix when it comes back up.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Looks like the forum lost the ability for users to set a different theme, which is a shame. I'll also reiterate a request from long ago for RSS support, which would mitigate the theme thing a bit since I wouldn't have to spend as much time on the actual site.

Also, it looks like all of the images, CSS, and Javascript on the main site aren't loading right now, which kind of limits how much I can appreciate its clean and modern state.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

SpottedShroom wrote:...hich kind of limits how much I can appreciate its clean and modern state.
Yeah....

I am so sick of incompetent web hosting support. You ask for a little help and they fuck everything up.

Looks like we might lose the forums for a bit while we reinstall some things.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I mentioned this to you when I petitioned for the spoiler tags (which I got, thanks), but I assume that these were impossible with the current version, or else you thought them unnecessary.
Vroqren wrote:Anchors are my favorite thing in HTML, and they are slightly built in to the forum already. Each individual post is given a new anchor when created, and links can be made directly to that particular post. With Anchor tags, you could have this ability to any given item within posts (especially useful for long things like walkthroughs).
You actually need two separate codes for this, one to mark the anchor, and one to bring you to the anchor.

Anchor BBCode box: [anchor]{TEXT}[/anchor]
Anchor HTML box: <a name="{TEXT}"></a>
Anchor Helpline: Anchor: [anchor]Name of the anchor[/anchor]

Goto BBCode box: [goto={TEXT1}]{TEXT2}[/goto]
Goto HTML box: <a href="#{TEXT1}">{TEXT2}</a>
Goto Helpline: Goto: [goto=Anchor Name]Link text[/goto]

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Quick update: The main website is finally back up, the theme was reinstalled, but the color settings were blasted. So, I am resetting the color palette and fixing a few links that didn't get updated. But I need to eat food, so quick 30 minute break. Site should be back up in 90 minutes or so.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote: Screen Schots is spelt incorrectly on this page.

On this page I would give the links for Eschalon: Book III names rather than Link #1. I haven't checked the links to see if they work because I'm at work on a slow computer.
Eschalon: Book III – Full version with demo area
Eschalon: Book II – Full Version with Demo area
Capital inconsistencies! :D
Capital Crimes! ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Fixed capital crimes, broken links, link-name suggestion, and some additional color issues.
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

Thomas:

Have you changed the robot.txt with the new setup?

Mike
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Mike Modified wrote:Thomas:

Have you changed the robot.txt with the new setup?

Mike
No. Does that even work?
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

Yes, it's supposed to. Last night and this morning one of the normal bots that crawl most sites refused to give results of previous snapshots because of robot.txt on this site.

However, that site now gives results, so presumably this site is back on the previous, more correctly permissive settings since my question.

Mike
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

The link to the PowerPC version of Eschalon I http://basiliskgames.com/mac_ppc/book_1 ... Book_I.dmg is broken.

Mike
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I'm also loving the randomized introduction of the image under the logo on the homepage!

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:How come you've removed your address on the About Us page?
Snail mail is so 20th century. :wink:

The Post Box we had was just a repository for junk mail. All of our legal forms come via email, and sales income is wire deposited into our bank. We just don't need a formal mailing address, especially since we don't send physical DVD copies of our games anymore.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: Snail mail is so 20th century.