Tiny bug on character creation? --> Skill raising

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Shadowstep
Pledge

Tiny bug on character creation? --> Skill raising

Post by Shadowstep »

Normally in a character creation screen you could assign only 5 skill points in each skill (ie. Piercing weapon). But there is a way to raise it up to 6.
It works on all classes, no matter if you are Healer/Fighter/Ranger...

1. Let say that you want to be Nefarious Rogue and you put five skill points on piercing weapons (which is Title-granted skill for Nefarious Rogue).

2. Change axiom, let say Druidic, and you get one point in Divination AND your piercing weapon lowers to four. Put one point in pearcing weapon so that it is five again.

3. Change axiom back to Nefarious and you have six points in Piercing weapons. One small skill point to Rogue, but one big blow to rats :wink:

I know, it is small thing but... :roll:
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Tiny bug on character creation? --> Skill raising

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:I just tested it, I'm using version 1.02 of the game. Also found a grammar mistake for the alchemy description which I highlighted in red, *your* should be you...
Either that, or it should read "...the more potent a mixture your character can create...", though just going with "...you can create..." might be the better choice...
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Man, and here I thought I flogged the Character Creation Screen to death. I was scared BW was going to take away my testing rights... 0_o
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

As far as I remember, it was possible in book 1 too. You can't put more than 5 points into a skill, so if it starts at 1, maximum is 5.

I thought it a feature, not a bug :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

ManusDei wrote:As far as I remember, it was possible in book 1 too. You can't put more than 5 points into a skill, so if it starts at 1, maximum is [6(?)].

I thought it a feature, not a bug :)
You are correct that this is the way it was in Book I - you could put 5 Levels (and no more) into any Skill, so if you added a Skill from "zero" you could get that Skill up to Level 5 during character creation, but if it was your "free" character Skill putting 5 in would get you to Level 6 in the "free" skill.

So, has that been changed in Book II, and the Skill level cap is Level=5 for all Skills during character creation, even your "free" Skill?...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I think I am going to leave this in as a "hidden feature", at least for now.

Messing around with the character editor is scary business. What I mean is, if I start adding additional conditions to close this exploit, I am just as likely to open up additional exploits.

Since I am prepping 1.03 for Mac and Linux and only have a couple more days before I have to lock it down, it would not be wise to dig into the Character Editor now. We'll put this tiny bug on the back-burner until 1.04 or so...
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Oh...and typo in Alchemy was fixed.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.