Video driver problem?

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Enterian
Apprentice

Video driver problem?

Post by Enterian »

Hi guys!

I'm having trouble running Eschalon Book II on my desktop pc. After about 2 minutes playing, the screen starts flickering, some GUI / tile graphics dissappear for a few frames, and after having this for about half a minute, the screen starts having "misplaced pixels". And this doesn't stop after I exit the game. Windows shows the same problem. Clearly a video driver issue I'd normally say.
So I've updated the drivers for my GeForce card and audio card as well. No different results.
I've started the game in windowed mode, OpenGL mode, DX7 and DX9 Mode, No sound and pretty much every combination possible. I even reinstalled windows and tried different versions of EBII as well. But still no different results.

I'm afraid there's a bug in the drivers, one that's never been fixed due to the fact most games play fine with it.
Does anyone have seen this before? I would love some advice :)
The game runs fine on my laptop, but my girlfriend claimed it for herself ;)

My pc:
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit
Intel quad Q6600
2GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

Thanks in advance!
Video driver problem?
Video driver problem?
eb2_screen0.jpg (168.93 KiB) Viewed 11479 times
ManusDei
Council Member

Re: Video driver problem?

Post by ManusDei »

Have you tried with other games ?
2D or 3D ? (both would be best).
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I've seen this before when a video card was going bad. If you have another video card laying around, you should swap it out and see if things improve.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

You also might check to make sure the video card fan is still working. That pixelation is a not-uncommon problem when a video card is overheating due to fan failure or overclocking. A lot of video card fans will fail within just a couple of years, especially if you don't clean the dust out of your computer on a frequent basis. Due to size and costs, most video card manufacturers use cheapo sleeve bearing fans.
Enterian
Apprentice

Post by Enterian »

Great! thanks for the replies!

Changing the video card did the trick. The world of Eschalon is looking smooth again :D
It must have been the card it self, maybe something the Eschalon engine uses that did't work so well on the video card.

The tricky part was that other games usually work fine.
What I did notice was that sometimes when just surfing the net or just viewing files on the harddrive, the screen suddenly went black, and recover seconds later with a message the video driver recovered from a crash. But not so often though.
You also might check to make sure the video card fan is still working.
That could've easlily been the problem, but it wouldn't explain why it did work fine (most times) with other games. I was running Portal 2 on high res just fine :)

I bought a new card with an Nvidia GTX 560 chipset on it. It wasn't too expensive and the score seems to be alright :)
I guess I'm hereby "diablo III ready" aswell :wink: (well if the day comes)