Gamestopping bug: found Crux of Fire

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Yabesita
Pledge

Gamestopping bug: found Crux of Fire

Post by Yabesita »

Hallo there,hope you can help me with this bug.
When i come back to the guild, he don`t recognized the crux of fire I`m carryng and thus I can go no further in the game.
It may have something to do that I don`t get the dialog with the sparrow and she only fights me till I kill her. I don`t know. I have searched for a fix but couldn`t find any fix to this bug
Couldn`t send a save of the game.
Any help will be welcome
Yabesita
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Gamestopping bug: found Crux of Fire

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Which version of the game do you have? There was an issue in early versions where you had to go through the conversation and fight with Sparrow in order to get Korren to recognize that you had the Crux but that was changed. Where did you buy the game? Check your version number and contact the vendor for the latest version would be my first advice.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

I have run into this problem as well. I am on version 1.05 (which is the latest version as far as I'm aware). Is there anything I can do about this? I have about 27 hours into the game. I am definitely not starting over.

I think I screwed things up because I killed Sparrow before ever going to the Secret Society, and after he told me about Sparrow and the next segment of the Main Quest it never appeared in my Journal as an active quest.

Can anyone here help me with this?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Corlain wrote:I have run into this problem as well. I am on version 1.05 (which is the latest version as far as I'm aware). Is there anything I can do about this? I have about 27 hours into the game. I am definitely not starting over.

I think I screwed things up because I killed Sparrow before ever going to the Secret Society, and after he told me about Sparrow and the next segment of the Main Quest it never appeared in my Journal as an active quest.
Yes, 1.05 is the latest version of the game. As in the above case, where did you buy the game? Different resellers make modifications that might be the cause.

Which quests do you have active, and which completed?

Also, if you suspect killing Sparrow was the cause of your problem, you can bring her back by doing the following:

1. Make sure you are not on the Broken Blade map, and quick-save your game.

2. Find your save game directory. You can do this by clicking on the "Eschalon Book II - Version 1.05 // Copyright 2010 Basilisk Games // Language: english" banner at the bottom of the screen at the main menu.

3. Go to that directory make a copy of the slot1 directory.

4. Go into the slot1 directory and delete the 5047.map file.

5. Start Book II and load the quick-save slot.

6. Travel to Broken Blade. The map is reset to its original condition.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

As far as quests completed, I have completed all the side-quests possible before taking the boat to the island and the main quest up to finding the secret society, after that no more main quests were listed. Currently, I have no active quests listed in my journal.

I'll try that map deletion trick and see if that works.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

Nope, deleting the files for the secret society and Broken Blade did not help.

I picked up Book II from GOG.

Anything else I can try?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Man, I really need to work on quest support in the character editor.

Anyway, this ought to work but is a hack.

Go get the character editor. You can get Windows or source here: http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/, or I have a custom OS X app build here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3856&start=75#p49293

Launch the Book II character editor and load up your (backed up, as before) save file. Give yourself the Portal spell if you don't already know it and enough Elemental skill to use it (11). On the Spells tab at the bottom of the page, enter exactly this into the three fields next to Level 1:

Picaroon Isle

Now you should be able to Portal to Picaroon Isle and complete the rest of the game.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

Sweet! Thanks. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to give up on this.