Player's Manual Typos

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book II
IJBall
Major
Major

Player's Manual Typos

Post by IJBall »

OK, I haven't gone through all of The Player's Manual with a 'fine-tooth comb' yet, but I've found an obvious typo in The Player's Manual already:

PAGE 2 - The Quick Reference Page, most of the way down:
Left Ctrl: For Macintosh users with single-button mouse, holding down Left-CRTL while clicking mouse will simulate a...
...and the rest of that line is missing!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Player's Manual Typos

Post by Randomizer »

I just checked and the older version has the rest of the text, but not the current version.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Another one, still PAGE 2:
Enter - Quick swap Primary/Alternate weapons
Was true in Book I, seems to no longer be true.

In fact, in my Book II, when hitting the "Return" key (Macbooks don't have a separate Enter keys...) noting happens. I don't know if this is a feature, or a bug, but I'd personally like to go back to being able to use the Enter/Return key to switch between the two Weapon Equipment sets.

Does everyone else have nothing happen when they hit the Enter/Return key, or is it just me?...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

And, another one, still PAGE 2 (on 'hot keys'):
J - Quest Journal
It's no longer 'J' to bring up the Quest Journal - it's now 'Q' that brings up the Quest Journal.
Wachunga
Initiate

Post by Wachunga »

There are some references to "Mediation" as opposed to "Medication" on page 18.

(I'm sure there are higher priority issues at the moment, but worth mentioning for later.)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Yes, still PAGE 2 (I still haven't had a chance to reread the whole Manual yet...), and this one is really minor, but:
X - Quick open Inventory, Stats, and Equip windows
The actual order of the windows on screen is Inventory, Equip, and Stats, in that order.

Yeah, I know - it's minor... :roll: :wink:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Wachunga wrote:There are some references to "Mediation" as opposed to "Medication" on page 18.
I think you meant "Meditation" in place of "Mediation" (not "Medication"!)... :wink:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

New one:

The Player's Manuals fails to contain instructions on how to load up a custom player "avatar/icon", despite the fact that the in-game instructions imply that it will.

As per: here.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

1.04cBeta
Innocent stuff for the most part, apart perhaps from the one about the bow feat:
...should be 'normal damage', as you won't automatically get a maximum roll.

...should be 20.

...should be 'higher'.

...should be 'through' and 'is'.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

v1.04c Player's Manual "fixes" update:

The following issues have been fixed as of v1.04c of The Player's Manual!:
  • PAGE 2 - The Quick Reference Page:
    "Left Ctrl: For Macintosh users with single-button mouse, holding down Left-CRTL while clicking mouse will simulate a..." description. FIXED/COMPLETED!
    "Enter - Quick swap Primary/Alternate weapons". FIXED/DELETED (well, sort of fixed - I'd actually rather have the Enter/Return Key (or something like it) back as the 'hotkey' for armor/weapon presets swapping...)
    "Q - Quest Journal". FIXED!
  • PAGE 18 - References to "Mediation" instead of "Meditation". FIXED!
  • PAGE 18 - The Player's Manuals fails to contain instructions on how to load up a custom player "avatar/icon", despite the fact that the in-game instructions imply that it will. FIXED/ADDED! :)
The following issue is still not fixed, but it's minor:
    Still "X - Quick open Inventory, Stats, and Equip windows" instead of "X - Quick open Inventory, Equip, and Stats windows" (the proper on-screen order of the windows). (But, minor issue!)
And, in addition to KillingMoon's recent typo examples, I found one other quasi-typo in v1.04c of The Manual:
  • PAGE 15 - In Weapons, Swords description, it says:
    ...Characters that become skilled above level 10 will gain the feat “Masterful Riposte”, grant-ing a guaranteed attack followed by perfect parrying of all opponent counter-attacks....
    I think this reads better if it's:

"...Characters that become skilled above level 10 will gain the feat “Masterful Riposte”, granting a guaranteed hit followed by perfect parrying of all opponent counter-attacks..."
I'm going to try and go through The Player's Manual with a fine-tooth comb over the long weekend... :wink:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

New one:

As per this discussion, it would appear that there is no mention of Book II's new feature that the maximum # of spells that can be learned is limited by a player's INT/WIS*(1/2) anywhere in The Player's Manual.

The most obvious place to add mention of this would be PAGE 26 of The Manual.

But it's possible that mention should also be made of this in the descriptions of Intelligence & Wisdom on PAGE 10 (though there may not be enough room to add this to page 10...).

Anyway, FYI.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Page 11:
  • Arcane, Alchemy

Why is it known as "Arcane, Alchemy" in both manuals for Book I and II but in the game it isn't?
I vote for just making it "Alchemy" everywhere - it seems like the modifier "Arcane" should be reserved just for magical Skills.

Also, while I'm here, I'll put out another reminder that this limitation on the # of spells you can learn being (1/2)*INT(or WIS) is still nowhere mentioned in the Book II Player's Manual, and it's something that definitely should be, lest newbies be taken unaware by it.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Back to:
  • PAGE 15 - In Weapons, Swords description, it says:
...Characters that become skilled above level 10 will gain the feat “Masterful Riposte”, grant-ing a guaranteed attack followed by perfect parrying of all opponent counter-attacks....
I noticed that the character editor in v1.04 of Book II now has the following in the Swords' onscreen description:
...Beginning at skill level 10, the character has a chance of performing a “Masterful Riposte”. This is a guaranteed strike, and then perfect parrying of all enemy attacks in the following round....
The latter version is much better, and should just be lifted whole-sale to replace what's currently in the Player's Manual on Page 15 for Weapons, Swords. :mrgreen:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I just realized that there's no listing of the various "Challenges" (and their descriptions) in the Book II Manual - there probably should be.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
  • The Move Silently Skill represents your ability to walk with light steps, as to avoid making sound that would attract the attention of an enemy...

I think *as* doesn't need to be in this sentence.
Or it should read "...to walk with light steps, so as to avoid..."
Jedi_Learner wrote:
  • Unarmed Combat is the ability to attack a target using only your hands or feet and inflict as much damage as you would if you were holding a blunt weapon.

Your character only uses his or her bare hands. There is no animation showing your character using their feet during combat. :wink:
I'd make it 'parenthetical' then: "Unarmed Combat is the ability to attack a target using only your hands (or feet)...
Jedi_Learner wrote:
  • Bow Weapons include any variation of archery devices that utilizes arrows.

I think it should be *utilize*.
Nope - "...any variation... that utilizes..."
It's correct - the verb is tied to "variation", not "devices".
Jedi_Learner wrote:
  • Generally, piercing weapons do not produce as much damage as other types weapons, however characters that...

"...much damage as other weapon types, however characters that..."
[/list]
Or "...piercing weapons do not produce as much damage as other types of weapons..."